Spirit CD

Silver Spectre

Assuming you are going on Spirit then (why else would you ask?) I hope for your sake it is someone other than David Lawton. He was infuriating on a recent cruise, with far, far too many announcements. Come to this. That is starting in five minutes. Etc. I was awakened from a couple of naps by the announcements. The worst were announcements regarding specials being offered on beauty products at the Spa. Those specials had in fact been advertised in inserts in the Chronicle. Silversea really felt like a mass market cruise line, and I was waiting for the announcement that yards of gold chain were being sold on the deck five lobby. This was all on my most recent Silversea cruise. I hope it is not typical of a new company-wide policy.

Assuming you are going on Spirit then (why else would you ask?) I hope for your sake it is someone other than David Lawton. He was infuriating on a recent cruise, with far, far too many announcements. Come to this. That is starting in five minutes. Etc. I was awakened from a couple of naps by the announcements. The worst were announcements regarding specials being offered on beauty products at the Spa. Those specials had in fact been advertised in inserts in the Chronicle. Silversea really felt like a mass market cruise line, and I was waiting for the announcement that yards of gold chain were being sold on the deck five lobby. This was all on my most recent Silversea cruise. I hope it is not typical of a new company-wide policy.

Off the Cloud Nov. 30th David Lawton was the CD...thought he was great! Imagine the announcements are a company decision not a CD's. At any rate did not bother me...jogged my memory a bit when the announcement reminded me I wanted to buy some wonderful Steiner Shampoo that was 40% off.

I actually quite like David Lawton, and would be happy for him to be on the Spirit, but he is not.

I actually quite like David Lawton, and would be happy for him to be on the Spirit, but he is not.

I should clarify that I liked David Lawton as a person. My interactions with him were unfailingly pleasant. What I disliked were the frequent announcements -- and especially those including what can only be described as advertisements for the sale of Steiner products.

Hi Mr Silver

Any chance it might be Jimmy or is he still on the Shadow? He's such a fun CD.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Mr Silver

Any chance it might be Jimmy or is he still on the Shadow? He's such a fun CD.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I think he is on leave at present but when I asked in September he said it was highly unlikely, and yes he is so much fun.

Suzanne Childers (Choozi) has mentioned Kirk Detweiler as being the current CD on the Spirit as recently as last week.

If that is the case, has anyone sailed with him.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Spirit yesterday. Captain is Mino Pontillo.

CD is Kirk Detweiler. He was fantastic...nice, down to earth, a ton of energy, fun, and a very talented singer and dancer. Don't miss his show.

Kirk is on the Spirit until March 4 and will then be replaced by Don Fluke.

There performers/singers were also excellent. Best group we've seen so far. They also get off the ship on March 4.

Fernando is on the Whisper for the World cruise, and I think Allan King is on the Shadow in Asia.

We were on the Spirit from 1/3 - 17. For the first week it was Paolo, but he got off and then Martin (Blanyr?) joined as HD. Very nice and personable guy.

We just got off the Spirit yesterday. Captain is Mino Pontillo.

CD is Kirk Detweiler. He was fantastic...nice, down to earth, a ton of energy, fun, and a very talented singer and dancer. Don't miss his show.

Kirk is on the Spirit until March 4 and will then be replaced by Don Fluke.

There performers/singers were also excellent. Best group we've seen so far. They also get off the ship on March 4.

Fernando is on the Whisper for the World cruise, and I think Allan King is on the Shadow in Asia.

We were on the Spirit from 1/3 - 17. For the first week it was Paolo, but he got off and then Martin (Blanyr?) joined as HD. Very nice and personable guy.

Many thanks for providing all that information. Looking forward with interest to meeting Kirk on Feb 1st, but oh so happy to be missing Don 'the' Fluke.

Don is a very nice man. His announcements are brief and pleasant. He has a warm way of introducing the entertainment programs. I like him.

BUT the way he handles Trivia is just awful. Because he throws in silly games, the actual trivia is substantially shortened to fit the time available. It really is a shame...he just doesn't seem to get that we are there for Trivia and not for charades, and other parlor games.

Anyone else experienced this? How did you like it?

Craig he was CD on Whisper on my St. Lawrence cruise last October. First time I'd met him -- I like him too. Agree with CruisinPash he does not treat Trivia seriously but it is amusing with him in charge and I do think he takes his job seriously.

Mary Ann

Don is a very nice man. His announcements are brief and pleasant. He has a warm way of introducing the entertainment programs. I like him.

BUT the way he handles Trivia is just awful. Because he throws in silly games, the actual trivia is substantially shortened to fit the time available. It really is a shame...he just doesn't seem to get that we are there for Trivia and not for charades, and other parlor games.

Craig he was CD on Whisper on my St. Lawrence cruise last October. First time I'd met him -- I like him too. Agree with CruisinPash he does not treat Trivia seriously but it is amusing with him in charge and I do think he takes his job seriously.

Mary Ann

Thank you both! I'm fine with the trivia bit as I've stopped playing trivia on board. 'though I love the game I've had a few occasions when folks forgot it was just a game for a bookmark and took it WAY too seriously and stripped any semblance of fun out of it.

This morning, heard from Paolo (pix below) the truly outstanding Spirit Hotel Director. Paolo, told us, he disembarked the Spirit a week ago and will be back on board March 20th (Ft. Lauderdale to Barbados). Truly wonderful news for our Spirit Spring crossing in April--we can't wait to share the Spirit with this exceptional SS crew member.

http://maritimematters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/silverspiritpaolo-copy.jpg

Agree that he is a pleasant and courteous man, but his trivia is the worst I have experienced in 25 years. His idea of games, especially 'this and that' borders on the insane.

Hi Doug from Jack and Sharon Chrobak. We met on the Spirit on the transatlantic crossing Lisbon to Barbados in 2011! We are on the Spirit Feb 1 South Pacific, Hawaii, back to LA and then on to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal- 47 days total- can't wait. We also had Khartik as our Butler and loved him! I wonder if you still keep in touch with him and know if he is still working on the Spirit. I would love to request him if possible. Hope you and Miss Lynn are well! Thanks

Wes, sorry to hear that Paolo went on vacation, just before we board the Spirit on Feb 2. Let us know if he will be back aboard for that Spirit crossing we'll all be on in November.

Dieter

We were on the Spirit from 1/3-17 (2 seven day b2b). Paolo got off in Barbados on 1/10. The new HD, Martin, came straight to the Spirit from LA where he was getting the Whisper ready for the WC. He seemed to be a friendly, very experienced and happy fellow.

If Paolo does the standard 2 months off, 4 months on, you might be able to make an educated guess as to whether he will be on your voyage. But sometimes they don't follow those types of schedules precisely.

Though I do wonder how far in advance they set these schedules...I think the pool F&B manager, Sanja, should be on in early November. She is terrific. who do you think your CD will be?

We too were on the Spirit Jan 3 - 17. Was very unimpressed with Kirk the CD. Silversea's loss of Susan Wood is definitely Seabourn's gain.

Once again though the restaurants, bar and in-suite staff were brilliant. They were all, without exception, the most friendly, courteous, helpful and fun people that it was difficult to mention them all by name on the questionnaire.

Herman, if memory serves Sanja (F&B mgr on the Spirit) is married to Kire (Head Sommelier). We enjoy sailing with them.

Col. Wes, you are correct. They both get off the Spirit on Feb. 1 in LA, with 2 months off and then back on the Spirit.

I would also like to add that the F&B head (I think), Camiel, was enjoyable as well. Gareth was the head pool bartender and outstanding as always. A great team.

The personal trainer in the spa, Nenad, was warm, friendly, personable and highly skilled. I can recommend his classes.

Archived