Riviera's Onboard Internet Packages for 2013

Trillan

I will need to purchase internet time during my upcoming cruise on the Riviera a couple of months from now. My Cruise Vacation Guide just arrived yesterday (YIPEE!) and I'm trying to figure out what will be the total cost for this service so I can budget accordingly. Has anyone out there got this nailed down?

The graphic on the internet page of the Cruise Vacation Guide indicates there is a special offer for Oceania's "Unlimited Cruise Package" - that is $21.99/day. But then in page text, the write-up states the $21.99/day is a PER PERSON charge. The thing is, my travelling companion requires little or no internet access during our cruise and would prefer to just pay the $1/minute charge if she make use of ship-board internet.

So my question is: if I purchase the "Unlimited Cruise Package" for myself, will my account be billed $43.98/day just because there are 2 of us in the cabin? That would work out to almost $620 which is impractical.

If the answer is yes, then I'll probably just purchase blocks of 200 minutes for $160. I don't plan to be surfing the internet continuously, but I've heard so many bad reports about the clunky internet speeds as sea that I would just prefer to have unlimited access rather than worry about burning through costly minutes while I wait for a few brief e-mails to transmit.

I would love to hear from any Riviera/Marina passengers with recent experience with Oceania's new-and-improved onboard internet service.

~Trillan~

We are currently on the Marina and I assume the Riviera is the same (although, one should never assume).

The Unlimited package is $24.95/day. Can be used by any number of people or devices but only one person/device at a time.

Thus your companion may use the Internet when you are not using it under your cost.

The speed is more than adequate for normal Internet usage (e mail, some Googling, etc but not for movies, streaming, etc).

I hope this helps.

It also depends on how much time you expect to be on the internet.

On our last Oceania cruise (August 2012) we had the option for an internet package but passed because we were on a very port intensive cruise (Black Sea). I normally get a 200 minute package (or something like that, I'm not sure of the exact minutes I buy) because I'm really just checking email, not surfing the internet when I'm on board.

That was more cost effective to me than a package, but our next two cruises will be TAs and so I probably will get the package there.

Consider how much time you really think you will need, even if slower connection times than you have at home. It's not out of the question that you might be better off just buying a package. When you're on a port intensive cruise (unless you just stay on board, which some people do!) the cheaper package can be a better bet.

Some people need to spend a lot of time on the internet even when they're on vacation, and that's a different story. I don't spend that much time online when I'm on a cruise, so the minute-package tends to be better. For me! Again, it can depend on how much time you'll be spending off the ship ...

Mura

It also depends on how much time you expect to be on the internet...

Mura

Thank you, Mura. It was helpful to read about your experience. I don't plan to do a lot of surfing or checking in with work (heaven forbid!). I just need to keep in touch with family and touch base with tour operators to confirm bookings and make last-minute adjustments. If the connection speed isn't too clunky then 200 minutes may prove more than enough for two weeks... something to ponder.

~Trillan~

Thank you, Mura. It was helpful to read about your experience. I don't plan to do a lot of surfing or checking in with work (heaven forbid!). I just need to keep in touch with family and touch base with tour operators to confirm bookings and make last-minute adjustments. If the connection speed isn't too clunky then 200 minutes may prove more than enough for two weeks... something to ponder.

~Trillan~

Just remember to log off each time after use with the limited packages. If you do not time will continue to tick away. With the unlimited package, no problem if you forget. On our TA last Nov, one night I forgot to log out and I was clocked for over 500 minutes but I had unlimited use.:p:p

On our TA last Nov, one night I forgot to log out and I was clocked for over 500 minutes but I had unlimited use.:p:p
On a TA I'm remembering a few days when the ship is outside of satellite coverage. Did you encounter that and if so, were you still charged for those days?

On a TA I'm remembering a few days when the ship is outside of satellite coverage. Did you encounter that and if so, were you still charged for those days?

You are if you have the unlimited package. That balances out with sometimes being online for hours (if you wish or need to be).

Of course, you are not charged if you have a 200 minute package but cannot sign on.

Just remember to log off each time after use with the limited packages. If you do not time will continue to tick away. With the unlimited package, no problem if you forget. On our TA last Nov, one night I forgot to log out and I was clocked for over 500 minutes but I had unlimited use.:p:p

That's interesting ... the tech on our last cruise said that could not happen ... that the system would log off after so many minutes of inactivity. The passenger in question kept on saying to his wife how this was the best thing because they just could stay on permanently ...

Mura

Cautionary note - we were just on Riviera in November in Europe where Internet onboard was painfully slow. Just logging in took way too long. When we complained about pricing and slow throughput, we were told prices had gone down & service had improved!

We were on Oceania February 2012 and the Internet service was also painfully slow. You might check with the Internet staffer onboard to see what times are more favorable for send/receive email activity as it was hit or miss on our prior three cruises.

After all, the clock is ticking every time you log on and stare at a blank screen twiddling your thumbs.

We were also on Riviera in October/November and the quality of the Internet service is not very good at all. Terribly slow all of the time, and if the page you are going to is data-intensive (think Verizon's web mail page), then you are going to have a long wait everytime it loads, reloads, etc. I know that AOL has a detection system and if it detects that you are on a slow system, it will give you a less data-intensive page, thereby reducing load times.

As it was, I needed to work on a matter for a client, and after days and days of trying (it was data-intensive), I finally gave up and waited until we got to a port where I could get to an internet cafe.

There is no way I would ever again sign up for or pay for the unlimited package -- you get terribly ripped off!

...When we complained about pricing and slow throughput, we were told prices had gone down & service had improved!

You were informed correctly. Riviera gets its internet service through a company known as MTN, which services 80% of the cruise industry. The service for which Oceania has contracted is the fasted service and the greatest bandwidth available from MTN.

In other words, no matter which major cruise line you choose, including Oceania, Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, Azamara and others, the chances are it is served by MTN, and the service on Riviera is as fast as any.

The prices may vary between the cruise lines, but the service is unlikely to be better than Riviera on any cruise ship.

As for pricing, the new $24.95 per day unlimited internet service is less expensive than any other cruise line I have seen, except those like Regent where the internet is free (actually included in the fare) once you reach Silver status after 21 days of cruising. It's certainly not a rip off.

On the Oceania Website it's mentioned in the PH1 description (and in the others suites): "New for 2013! - Exclusive discounts on internet usage plans" did someone know more about those discounts?

On my trip last year in Europe I spent more than $600 in a very poor Internet connection. I hope the upgrade of the system will provide a better and cheaper service.

Dear Hondorner is the unlimited Internet package on Oceania for everybody? or you need to have 21 days of cruise, I only have 10 days with Oceania and my next cruise is a 14 days cruise in March.:confused:

Dear Hondorner is the unlimited Internet package on Oceania for everybody? or you need to have 21 days of cruise, I only have 10 days with Oceania and my next cruise is a 14 days cruise in March.:confused:

Not Don but the service is for anyone willing to pay

Not sure on the discount % for 2013 ...it depends on your cruise level Bronze, silver etc...you do get something off the rate

Check under Oceania Club Benefits

We are bronze (5-9 cruises) & are offered 20% off

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceaniaclublogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2foceaniaclub%2fdefault.aspx

On the Oceania Website it's mentioned in the PH1 description (and in the others suites): "New for 2013! - Exclusive discounts on internet usage plans" did someone know more about those discounts?

On my trip last year in Europe I spent more than $600 in a very poor Internet connection. I hope the upgrade of the system will provide a better and cheaper service.

Anyone can sign up for the unlimited package.

On shorter cruises you have to do it by the 3rd day, on 21+ days cruises you have till day 7 to do so.

Archived