STAR Western Carribean Excursions???

Claybelle

We set sail in March and would like to book excursions before we leave so they don't sell out. The problem is that there are a TON of them to choose from! Any advice on great excursions and ones to avoid? Thanks!

Itinerary: Costa Maya, Belize City, Roatan, Cozumel

As Ron L suggested, I would go to the Ports of Call boards and just start reading. A lot of people, including us, book our independent excursions, rather than using the cruise line. You can save a lot of money doing that. I have never booked an excursion through the cruise line. I would however book through the ship if the excursion was one that took you a long way from port, i.e. the Tulum ruins from Cozumel.

We are doing the same itinerary/ship in February. This is what we are doing:

Costa Maya - taking a taxi into town to Tropicante where we will spend the day on the beach. We might do some snorkeling and the guys want to fish. Tropicante can arrange that. They also have $25 massages on the beach. We will also spend some time exploring the Malecon.

Belize - We are on the waiting list for the Taste of Belize tour through Coral Breezes. If that doesn't materialize we will probably just spend a little time at the port and have lunch/drinks at The Wet Lizard. A lot of people go cave tubing at this stop, or visit ruins. We can tube in Texas all summer long and we've seen ruins, so we're not doing a big excursion here.

Roatan - We are booking a day pass/transportation at Bananarama on West Bay Beach. Cost is $35 and includes a drink and beach chair and use of facilities. We are going to spend the day snorkeling and we might try snuba through AquaRoatan which is located on the beach.

Cozumel - We have booked a private driver ($95/hr + $25/hr for each additional hour). I think we are going to go to the tequila factory/museum, the San Gervasio ruins, over to the East side for a drink at Coconuts and then back to town for a seafood lunch at a local (non-touristy) restaurant. We will finish the day shopping and pub-crawling back to the ship. There are lots of fun things to do in Cozumel.

I'm sure you will have fun whatever you decide.

Bon Voyage!

You haven't really stated what you like to do while in port. Are you the type that enjoys shopping? Tours? The beach and ocean? Snorkeling. That would help us a little more in providing some answers.

My review was just completed with these ports (as shown in the link above) and I have done other things at these ports as well (ziplining, snorkleing, cavetubing). I can provide you with links of my reviews if you let me know what you are interested in doing. :)

We did that itinerary last year on the Spirit and are repeating it this year on the Star. From last Year's itinerary, we highly recommend:

Cozumel: mini- jeep tour booked with Shoretrips.com. We drove a mini jeep through a state park and toured an alligator preserve and some ruins before going to the beach.

Belize: cave tubing, also booked with Shoretrips.com.

Costa Maya: Maya Chan, an all-inclusive resort where the service was fabulous.

We didn't like the kayaking part of our kayak/snorkeling tour in Roatan. The kayaks were not equipped with backs, making the trip uncomfortable and we mostly travelled on open water.

This year we are going to a private cooking class in Cozumel (found through Cozumelmycozumel.com), the private resort on Roatan booked through NCL (the only way to book it) and Maya Chan again on Costa Maya. We're going to use the time on Belize for our spa day.

Good luck with your excursions.

We did that itinerary last year on the Spirit and are repeating it this year on the Star. From last Year's itinerary, we highly recommend:

Cozumel: mini- jeep tour booked with Shoretrips.com. We drove a mini jeep through a state park and toured an alligator preserve and some ruins before going to the beach.

Belize: cave tubing, also booked with Shoretrips.com.

Costa Maya: Maya Chan, an all-inclusive resort where the service was fabulous.

We didn't like the kayaking part of our kayak/snorkeling tour in Roatan. The kayaks were not equipped with backs, making the trip uncomfortable and we mostly travelled on open water.

This year we are going to a private cooking class in Cozumel (found through Cozumelmycozumel.com), the private resort on Roatan booked through NCL (the only way to book it) and Maya Chan again on Costa Maya. We're going to use the time on Belize for our spa day.

Good luck with your excursions.

Is that the cooking class with Josephina? We did that class a couple of years ago. We enjoyed it a lot. I did a review with pics that I could probably find a link to if the OP is interested in that.

I've done this itinerary or one very similar a bunch and I haven't done the same thing twice! Here are my favorite excursions, favorite FIRST!:

1. Cozumel- Harley-Davidson tour... If you are at ALL into bikes...THIS is it!

BEST tour EVER! If interested I'll elaborate. DEFINITELY thinking about doing again!

2. Cozumel Mexican Cuisine Cooking and tasting... FANTASTIC! I think everyone that was there said this was their favorite excursion! SUPER FUN!

Those two excursion are IMO in a class to themselves....next up...

3. Isla Roatan- Tabyana Beach... Beach and water, EXCELLENT. Snorkeling starts about 20 feet from the beach...no kidding... Beautiful place....

4. Cozumel- Nachi Cocum all inclusive day at the beach. Big beach....nice pool...swim up bar....good food...limited availability. What else could you want?

5. Costa Maya- Maya Chan.... Hospitality better than Nachi Cocum....BUT water/beach not as pretty and no pool. Nevertheless still a nice excursion.

That's my top five. That may change after April when I do the same itinerary again! We did Lamanai Ruins tour in Belize City... It was really good BUT...long bus ride two ways....speakers/mics on tour bus worked only about half the time. Boat ride was GREAT going.....long coming back. But you DO get to see a lot of Belize and the ruins were great. It WILL take ALL DAY.

HTH..

I've done this itinerary twice and will be on the Star one week from today.

Hands down favorite excursion - Lamanai through NCL in Belize. Here is a great video I found on youtube that starts with the boat ride and then the ruins tour. They left out the bus transportation to and from the port (approximately an hour drive each way).

They did not go through NCL for the tour but the river and the ruins are exactly what you see on the Norwegian tour. Because of the distance from the ship and chance for breakdown of either bus or boat we would not risk doing Lamanai through an outside agency. Although we have a lot of OBC this cruise we prebooked Lamanai ..... it is gone from the website and I don't know if they save spots for those who don't use the internet so glad we did book it ahead of time.

Roatan Tabayana Beach through NCL. Really really enjoyed this tour. The entire area is beautiful, the facilities are clean, the food is decent, sandy beach, wonderful snorkeling not very far off shore. Perfect for beginner or experienced snorkelers.

Here is their website (can only book through ship)

http://www.tabyanabeach.com/index.html

Here are a couple short youtube videos - there are more

Costa Maya We love Costa Maya - another perfect beach day that doesn't need to cost a lot of money. We take the double decker bus to Mahahual and hang out at one of the many bar/beach spots. Have done Nacional Beach Club a couple times, excellent drinks and food :) Taxi back to port is around $2.00 :)

Cozumel using Hire a Driver for A Day this time .... something new for us as we want to see the other side of Cozumel and do some sight seeing

Thank you for your quick and thorough responses! Mitsugirly - I am in the process of reading your amazing review that Ron recommended to me. We like excursions that require doing more than sitting and watching. We don't like shopping and aren't drinkers. We've always booked through the cruise line because we didn't know where to look for other, trustworthy excursions.

Mitsugirly - I am in the process of reading your amazing review that Ron recommended to me. We like excursions that require doing more than sitting and watching. We don't like shopping and aren't drinkers. We've always booked through the cruise line because we didn't know where to look for other, trustworthy excursions.

Enjoy...it will take you a while. :D

If you want a little more "movement" in what you do at the ports, what about ziplining in Roatan or cabetubing in Belize? Let me know and I'll provide you with the links to those reviews. Definitely a great alternative to a beach day.

I have also done those, plus a HIGHLY recommend Chankanaab in Cozumel. Tons of stuff to do and see there. It is just BEAUTIFUL there.

These ports are definitely doable on your own instead of purchasing shore excursions from the cruise line. Check out the Ports of Call board for suggestions.

If you do decide to go with the ship's excursions and want to book in advance, please note that you will have to pay with a credit card. If you wait to book when you get to the ship and have onboard credit, that OBC can be used for the excursions.

Mitsu ~ Hubby would zipline but I'm too chicken. We would both like to do the cavetubing but are afraid the water would be too chilly in March. What do you think about the temp and would love to have your direct links since I'm still reading your review. :)

Mitsu ~ Hubby would zipline but I'm too chicken. We would both like to do the cavetubing but are afraid the water would be too chilly in March. What do you think about the temp and would love to have your direct links since I'm still reading your review. :)

I think I posted the direct links in my other review as well (talking to someone on there that ask about it), but I will post them here.

The zip lines really didn't feel too scary at all. My 3 year old did them by herself. She was suppose to go tandem with one of us, but she decided she was a "big girl" and wanted to do it like everyone else (yep, I caught it on video and it was a highlight of that day!)

Here's the zipling for that day review (I promise, it's not long with my Star review :D)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23

We did the 'Zip and Dip' so that was the zip part...the dip was at West Bay:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30663211&postcount=24

As for the cavetubing...wow, it was quite the adventure! When you read what all we did along the way, you'll see what I mean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

(Just know that .bz has upgraded their tubes since we went. They now have the tubes that link together-not with your feet to armpit, and they also have the headrest on them).

As for the water, I think it would be fine. I remember back when I was researching the cavetubing, I came across other people asking this question about various times of the year and most felt that it was fine. It's not like you are swimming in it or anything. You are floating in a tube and your guide is working their butt off pulling you around and swimming in the water. Your bottom might touch some, but it's not bad. :)

Apparently, I can't get rid of a post that hops on here twice! Anyway...I can't find any info on Chankanaab in Cozumel on my shore excursion list. How do I get info on this place?

What info are you trying to get? I have 2-3 reviews on Chankanaab or are you talking about a website for them? If so, they do not have a website for just Chankanaab. The dolphin place does though, but they just happen to be located within Chank. :)

We love Chankanaab. It is beautiful, plenty to do there, and well worth the money.

If you are interested, here are my 2 reviews done from March and September (we loved it so much there that we made sure we booked a cruise to go back the next time).

ere is my review from last September: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=59

We did the dolphin swim, which included the swim with the manatees: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=65

Here is my review from last March: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=48

I think I posted the direct links in my other review as well (talking to someone on there that ask about it), but I will post them here.

The zip lines really didn't feel too scary at all. My 3 year old did them by herself. She was suppose to go tandem with one of us, but she decided she was a "big girl" and wanted to do it like everyone else (yep, I caught it on video and it was a highlight of that day!)

Here's the zipling for that day review (I promise, it's not long with my Star review :D)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23

We did the 'Zip and Dip' so that was the zip part...the dip was at West Bay:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30663211&postcount=24

As for the cavetubing...wow, it was quite the adventure! When you read what all we did along the way, you'll see what I mean:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30667696&postcount=44

(Just know that .bz has upgraded their tubes since we went. They now have the tubes that link together-not with your feet to armpit, and they also have the headrest on them).

As for the water, I think it would be fine. I remember back when I was researching the cavetubing, I came across other people asking this question about various times of the year and most felt that it was fine. It's not like you are swimming in it or anything. You are floating in a tube and your guide is working their butt off pulling you around and swimming in the water. Your bottom might touch some, but it's not bad. :)

Your review did a great job of talking me OUT of zip lining!! HA!! I'm already leary of it and if there was anything at all that made you feel unsafe - nope, not doing it.

I will definitely book the cave tubing though. That sounds perfect! Hope we get Junior!

Your daughter is absolutely amazing. You'll have to keep a close eye on her as she grows up. She's not afraid of anything! Adorable!!

What info are you trying to get? I have 2-3 reviews on Chankanaab or are you talking about a website for them? If so, they do not have a website for just Chankanaab. The dolphin place does though, but they just happen to be located within Chank. :)

Just a direct link to your reviews would be good. If this place is only about interacting with dolphins, we wouldn't be interested in that though.

These ports are definitely doable on your own instead of purchasing shore excursions from the cruise line. Check out the Ports of Call board for suggestions.

If you do decide to go with the ship's excursions and want to book in advance, please note that you will have to pay with a credit card. If you wait to book when you get to the ship and have onboard credit, that OBC can be used for the excursions.

Thanks jvdmd! We don't have any OBC so we won't have to worry about that.

My recent Star review has links to my excursions reviews :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1756640

Hope that helps! :-)

Thanks Ashley! I was wondering about your stay at the Hampton Inn. You didn't mention the parking. The website says that you can stay for $129 a night with $14 parking (not including tax). Does that sound right? We don't need to stay overnight unless it's going to save us on parking. For example, parking at the port is $16 a day but if we could find a hotel close by, with free parking and free shuttle, that might make us change our minds on the overnight stay.

Your review did a great job of talking me OUT of zip lining!! HA!! I'm already leary of it and if there was anything at all that made you feel unsafe - nope, not doing it.

I will definitely book the cave tubing though. That sounds perfect! Hope we get Junior!

Your daughter is absolutely amazing. You'll have to keep a close eye on her as she grows up. She's not afraid of anything! Adorable!!

LOL, I only report our experience and while we had fun doing the ziplining, the company was not our favorite and neither were the monkeys. So, by all means, if it's not for you then I'm glad I helped you understand what the tour is all about.

Just found your reviews (above) on Chankanaab. THANKS!!

Glad you found the Chankanaab reviews. We LOVE that place!

Archived