St. John from Crown Bay - DIY or ship's excursion?

librarylady19

Hi Karen:) yes, it was that excursion in Dominica and it was fabulous:)

The home is beautiful...it is up in the mountains. 3 cousins who are

from Dominica are your hosts. They are lovely gals and you are outside

while cooking. They have an expanded patio with quite a large "breakfast bar"....actually it is a countertop that is used for prep. The cooking

area is what would be considered large enough for catering. The grounds are lush with lovely fruit trees. Really beautiful.

We had about 12 on the tour and if you want to help cook you may

and if you want to just watch you can do that too.

Our group was very fun and diverse. What we had....we cooked fish,

plantains in a delicious coconut breading, salad, fresh fruit, and a rum

punch that was probably the best I have ever had and I am not a big

rum gal. The 3 gals explained alot of what is grown in the area and

they helped those who needed it. Oh we also red beans and rice.

As for being a fussy eater? The food was VERY good....flavorful, not

"too spicey", all very fresh and I do remember our group definitely

had a good time.:) But of course, I don't know what you like....

I enjoyed everything I helped cook and eat:D

Lois

Thank you so much for the great description. This is just what I was looking for and will go ahead and book. It does sound like a whole lot of fun and atleast if DH doesn't want to partake, he can sit and watch and enjoy the refreshments on offer (read that as rum punch) :)

Your help is greatly appreciated and it's good to find someone who has actually done some of the excursions on offer and get their thoughts and comments.

Karen

Lois

Thank you so much for the great description. This is just what I was looking for and will go ahead and book. It does sound like a whole lot of fun and atleast if DH doesn't want to partake, he can sit and watch and enjoy the refreshments on offer (read that as rum punch) :)

Your help is greatly appreciated and it's good to find someone who has actually done some of the excursions on offer and get their thoughts and comments.

Karen

Karen, this may sound a bit odd....or maybe different would be

a better term....this rum punch is nothing like I have ever tasted

and it is also made with pumpkin......the mixture of ingredients?

I really don't remember everything in it but I have to tell you......

it is Delicious:D

A few years ago we spent a couple of vacations in St. Thomas; and, we found that Hawksnest Bay was a very nice beach and not nearly as crowded as Trunk Bay, which, of course is also very nice. There is no entry fee for Hawksnest beach. Also, Mongoose Junction is a neat place for eats, drinks, and gifts.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but based on all the good info so far, I thought that perhaps I could slip this question in since it relates to the topic.

We are doing a Southern Caribbean itinerary on Eclipse this coming April. We have a stop in St. Thomas and have never been there before. I see so many postings from people saying they are heading to St. John, but haven't seen anything to say what the advantages are to either island. I am looking for some guidance on whether to stay in St. Thomas or head to St. John instead.

What is the attraction in St. John and why would you go there instead of staying St. Thomas? Is it the beaches in St. Thomas that are the main attraction? We are going with my 80 year old father, so if the beaches are the big draw in St. John, we're probably better off staying in St. Thomas since beaches aren't a good idea for Dad. Are there any other things in St. John that are preferable to St. Thomas? If anyone could comment on what the highlights are on each, I would really appreciate it. That would really help me decide.

Thank you!

Jaspers, the beaches on both islands are beautiful. If you are beach people, you will not go wrong on either island. Since this is your first trip to this area, it might be simpler to remain on St. Thomas where you would only need a taxi ride to your favorite beach.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but based on all the good info so far, I thought that perhaps I could slip this question in since it relates to the topic.

We are doing a Southern Caribbean itinerary on Eclipse this coming April. We have a stop in St. Thomas and have never been there before. I see so many postings from people saying they are heading to St. John, but haven't seen anything to say what the advantages are to either island. I am looking for some guidance on whether to stay in St. Thomas or head to St. John instead.

What is the attraction in St. John and why would you go there instead of staying St. Thomas? Is it the beaches in St. Thomas that are the main attraction? We are going with my 80 year old father, so if the beaches are the big draw in St. John, we're probably better off staying in St. Thomas since beaches aren't a good idea for Dad. Are there any other things in St. John that are preferable to St. Thomas? If anyone could comment on what the highlights are on each, I would really appreciate it. That would really help me decide.

Thank you!

St. John has some excellent snorkeling and some secluded beaches. It is much less busy than St. Thomas. Usually those heading over there are people who have been to St. Thomas numerous times and are looking for something different.

I would recommend taking an open-sided safari tour in St. Thomas that takes you to mountain top. The views are spectacular! Most of these tours will include a 2 hour stop at the beach but if you don't want to do that they will bring you back right away. We used Ron's tours. Ron was an older gentleman and VERY knowledgeable about his islands. His driving was responsible (unlike some of the safari vans we saw) and he didn't have blaring music. He was waiting for us with a sign with our name on it as we got off the ship. My teen kids were very impressed by this. His prices are lower than some of the other operators. I'm sure you and your father would enjoy a trip with him.

We did the ship sponsored on Reflection recently and thought the timing and value were both good. The ferry ride is sold with either a shopping, walking, or island cruise OR you can skip that part. We skipped and proceeded directly to our beach day. Our tour met at 830 and I believe we were on the beach by 10 and had to meet back at ferry at 3. This is much easier than doing it on your own and only slightly more expensive.

Hey Kevin,

Since you just did the ship's tour, could you tell me if it it a chartered ferry? It sounds like it is, leaving directly from Crown Bay.

Also would this be difficult for someone with slight mobility issues? My dad hurt his knee recently and although we are hoping he'll be better, I am just concerned about having to make 'big' steps across gaps, etc.

We, too, are going back to St. John, while on the Eclipse in March. After much discussion, we decided to go with the ship's shore excursion which includes transportation to Red Hook and r/t ferry to St. John. The deciding factor was a memory of a shore excursion several years ago in Maui, when an accident closed the road returning to the harbor, and they held the ship for our tourbus. If we had been out on our own, we mght have been left behind. It's a thought!

The crown bay pickup is about a football field away from Reflection. The boat is shared with the Marriott folks whom are picked up and dropped off first. The only challenge would be the step on and off the boat. There is plenty of indoor or outdoor seating and bathrooms are on the same level, so not catamaran type bathrooms.

I will say that the narration is prerecorded and a bit over the top and filled with pronunciation errors, but it is a good laugh and only on the way over.

JackDiamond is right. Hawksnest is a great beach and very close to downtown ST John (ie, cheapest cab ride and a no-fee beach). And Mongoose is a great shopping area with real shops (not just t-shirts, key chains and other junk). And for a really casual lunch in town try Uncle Joes BBQ. For a bit more formal (but not formal by any means) Banana Deck and Morgans Mango have great island themed food - conch fritters, plantains, curry, etc. Enjoy!

PS if you are looking for a beach with water rentals and umbrellas, etc try Cinnamon Bay over Trunk. IMO Trunk has lost it's luster ... the snorkeling has not been good there for years. For snorkeling try Jumby Bay or the other side of the island, Waterlemon Cay.

Yes Jack Diamond. And please do not leave the island without getting a painkiller, rum punch, dark and stormy or buschwacker (or all of the above) at the Beach Bar in Cruz Bay. Great spot right near the ferry where locals and tourists relax, listen to music, play ConnectFour and Tirvial Pursuit and watch the world go by! They have great bar food and salads too.

WebCam:

http://www.beachbarstjohn.com/webcams.htm

[quote name='jaspersmommy']Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread, but based on all the good info so far, I thought that perhaps I could slip this question in since it relates to the topic.

Thank you![/quote]
Given that you have never been to St. Thomas, I would recommend you stay on that island and just take a tour (ship or on your own). When we traveled there with our 80ish year old relatives, they enjoyed the tour that went to Coral World, or just a general tour would be nice. Our relatives were ladies, and they enjoyed the nice shopping downtown as well (not sure if your dad likes to shop - my DH actually enjoys it bless his heart:))

I have been to St John before and it is one of my favorite places but I would rather not take a ferry ride over. I am also not as interested in walking around town as going back to the beautiful beaches. So I am thinking of doing Celebrity's St John half day Champagne Catamaran sail as opposed to a DIY tour. Has anyone taken this excursion or taken a similar DIY?

DIY was less money than the cruise tour but more hassle, with road traffic, ferry tickets, schedules, and lines to pay and board. There is an inexpensive local bus from Havensight to the Ferry.

Best for us is a ship tour that goes directly from pier, to ferry, to St. John snorkel spots.

IMHO the beaches are more interesting than Cruz Bay. The jeep tour at Cruz Bay is comprehensive but takes time away from enjoying the water and beaches whether you get wet or not.

Penny

We opted for the ships excursion and I'm glad we did. Did no see any taxis at Crown Bay ready to take passengers. We boarded the ferry right at the port and had a 35 minute ride to SJ. We opted out of the walking tour and had more than 5 hours of free time. Ferry back was at. 3 pm.
Only downside was the ridiculous commentary by Capt jack on the ferry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='librarylady19']We opted for the ships excursion and I'm glad we did. Did no see any taxis at Crown Bay ready to take passengers. We boarded the ferry right at the port and had a 35 minute ride to SJ. We opted out of the walking tour and had more than 5 hours of free time. Ferry back was at. 3 pm.
Only downside was the ridiculous commentary by Capt jack on the ferry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I agree with his voice. I lived it twice this year... Thank god it's silence on the way back. :)

Archived