Lost and Found - anyone had any success in having items left behind returned to them?

3littlepigs

We inadvertantly left some items behind on our recent sailing, went back to the dock within an hour but the customer service reps couldnt get hold of our steward and he hadnt yet handed them into lost and found.

Wondering if anyone has had any success in having X return the items to them after contacting the lost and found section of the website.

I left a gold chain with a gold heart in the desk drawer on Silhouette in March. I didn't realize I left it until two days after Inarrived home. I contacted RCCL who handles lost and found. They replied to my inquiry that the ship would be notified to see if it had been turned in. I never heard anything more. My necklace was taken either by my cabin steward or a subsequent passenger in that cabin.

We left something small and not even expensive in the safe, and even though one could tell it was not just a trinket, it was never turned in to lost and found. I called back repeatedly and was told the same thing over and over. I don't even know why they have someone staff that phone, they should just have a recorded canned response.

ETA: Forgot to mention, this was on a Royal Caribbean ship, but since RCI handles Celebrity as well, I thought my info was applicable.

my daughter left a leather jacket on the Millie in May, it was never turned in and the communication (or lack of...) was frustrating. Under the circumstances of how she lost it, we know it wasn't taken by a fellow passenger. My daughter was irresponsible & it's her fault that it's gone, but it was frustrating the way it was handled by Celebrity.

Yes. Last year on the Constellation I left a pair of shoes I guess under something and missed it while packing. I figured they were gone but tried in case. I called Celebrity and it took a few days but they did have them and shipped them back to me at their expense (which they did not have to do). I was very thankful.

I am not sure why they were turned or what the policy is but I know I had a great relationship with the cabin steward and tipped him some cash at the end of the journey based on his work. Maybe he took the time to "help" me out. Not sure.

Good luck, hope it turns up.

Left a pair of 14k gol earings on the bed table. Realized it before we actually left the ship and went back to the cabin which was being cleaned up. Cabin attendent said he didn't find anything. Rccl Oasis last year.

On Celebrity I found 2 clutch purses in the ladies room - 2 separate incidents. I turned each one in to the pursers' desk in the main lobby. I assume if anyone went to the pursers desk and described their purse, they would receive their lost purse - at least I hope so.

Thanks Guys! I guessed as much! What we left behind isn't worth claiming on our travel insurance but would have been nice to have back...teach us to be more careful! Funny thing is we are normally scrupulously careful about making sure the rooms are cleared everywhere we go...not sure how our system broke down that day, I guess it will make us extra vigilant from now on!

I left a nearly brand new and recently dry cleaned denim jacket hanging up in my closet on Eclipse in December. I was told by Lost and Found (800 number) that they are told to dispose of clothing for health reasons (seriously) and that it was not turned into lost and found. Pretty disappointed :(

I stupidly left my keys (including electronic car clicker) and some minor items (socks and gloves) in a drawer of Eclipse arriving from a transatlantic to Miami. Ready for me to use upon arrival rather than packed. No value to anyone else.

We called within a few hours to report before the ship left for next sailing. Never returned. My fault of course but lack of communication from Celebrity was both surprising and disappointing. Those car key things are $$$ to replace.

Surely there should be a simple bag it, tag it, turn it in system for stewards?

I once had an expensive camera left in a taxi in Rio de Janeiro returned to my hotel. But I learned my lesson with X. You leave it, you lose it. So be careful out there, folks.

I stupidly left my keys (including electronic car clicker) and some minor items (socks and gloves) in a drawer of Eclipse arriving from a transatlantic to Miami. Ready for me to use upon arrival rather than packed. No value to anyone else.

We called within a few hours to report before the ship left for next sailing. Never returned. My fault of course but lack of communication from Celebrity was both surprising and disappointing. Those car key things are $$$ to replace.

Same thing happened to us. Never got the keys back. Maybe the zapper can be reprogramed, tho the key would be of no use.

We also lost a very expensive ring. Did not realize it wasn't with our other stuff until I looked for it-to wear it two weeks after the cruise. They claimed they looked into it but we were told that it was not found. :(:(:(:(

I hope we've learned that lesson well!

Have left behind a pair of prescription glasses, and a nice piece of costume jewelry (two separate cruises). Never heard a thing. Disappointing to say the least (especially the glasses - not something someone would have a use for). The only thing I did have returned was when I lost my room key -someone turned it into Guest Relations and they still had it (note - they never called me, even though obviously they had my info. I had to go there and check). Bottom line, if you do have something found and returned you are lucky indeed!

I find that very dishartening. Back in the early 90's,I think, I left a watch I had purchased during an NCL cruise in the cabin. I called NCL and the watch was found and sent to me. This was a long time ago, long before NCL was the queen of freestyle cruising. I guess things have changed. What else is new?

I'm fortunate to own many jewelry items of a very high value and I get joy from wearing them. However the stress while cruising (or traveling in some parts of Europe) of not losing them, leaving them layout in sight or leaving them behind or being robbed (yes I was on a cruise where a ship excursion had the entire group robbed) has lead me to travel wearing mostly great fakes. I'll take 3 or 4 real items (easier to keep track of) and then mix in the fakes, keeping with the sizes of diamonds that I actually own. Unless you are a jeweler or using a loop - very difficult to tell, I then travel with very little worry. Of course everyone should have their expensive items insured.

$300 pair of Gucci sunglasses set down and left by mistake at cava reception on boarding Reflection in Nov 12 were never handed in. Missed within minutes but gone. Crew and passangers were the only people in the area. Don't hold your breath.

When we were unpacking on a Celebrity ship, I found a whole drawer full of the previous passengers' clothes. Clean, neatly folded and obviously ready to go into a suitcase.

I took them to Guest Relations and asked them to look up the name and address of the previous passenger so they could return her clothes. All they wanted to know was the name of our cabin attendant, and then I stood at the desk while they checked their records to see if the same attendant had serviced that cabin on the previous cruise. I was told they would "report the incident" to Housekeeping immediately. But it sounded as if they were far more interested in blaming the cabin steward for failing to check all the drawers than trying to return the clothes to their owner.

• 3 months later...

I left my 2 (prescription) glasses and some other items in the drawer from the desk in the cabin, (reflection) and call (and email) monday the lost and found in miami, yesterday they reply my email that nothing is found.

I think when you get your items back is like winning the lottery

On a similar topic... have you ever FOUND anything of value in your cabin?

For all of these items left behind, SOMEONE found them... and didn't turn them in. If we (the passengers) aren't finding them and they aren't making it to "lost and found", then it's obvious (to me, at least) where the items end up.

Agree with Carib Chris... you leave it, you lose it.

FYI... if you forget to bring a charger, ask your cabin attendant. They have TONS. Those definitely don't make it to lost and found. This is true at hotels, too. Most keep a basket at the desk... if you need one, just ask. LOL

Sent in several shirts while on the Infinity in May. Two of them did not return with the rest of the laundry (but I did get several items that were not mine in the same bag). Never found them and no one ever commented on them. someone went home with two excellent shirts.

I always make a list of what I send to the laundry now because we had the same issue last time we cruised- two of my sundresses and a pair of jeans were not returned until I called the steward and complained. He did find them though.

Left my jacket (with house and car keys in the pocket) on a chair while debarking the Millie. Noticed it when the cab dropped us at the airport (San Juan).

Immediately called Celebrity and told them exactly where the jacket was (we were waiting in the movie theater for our time to be called).

They wouldn't let me return to the ship. They really didn't follow up with me. My jacket (with a unique crest/logo on it) was never found/returned.

The jacket I could have lived without. Replacing the car keys and key fob was expensive. The jacket was just a windbreaker and I can't see that any other passenger would have wanted to take it.

We lost a d we found.

Lost a very expensive item we left the ship from the room to on shore time was no more than 30 minutes. We asked to get bac no. And to the room.

If we were allowed back on board we would have fou d our item where left.

Bad to go through procedures an hour later the staff said sorry

Found a watch Returned it to guest relations requested if person if des it to call us. Never heard a thing.

If you ever think this is a perfect world.

Celebrity tho is when you leave the ship anything left behind becomes the ships

NEver calling them pirates

Lucky for us we had insurance and $$$ was paid out for ours lost item. But sentementle value can never be replaced

If the staff of cebritt who cleans our state rooms read these post. Do what is right tha. Wrong

Forgetting something has always been a fear of mine. So for the last few cruises we've had a plan. On the last night before going to bed we clear off the desk. We place EVERYTHING not already packed on the desk. Only thing in the closet are the clothes we'll be wearing home. Every inch of the cabing is checked 2,3,4...times (no I'm not ocd :p). Every shelf, nook, cubby, everything is empied.

The next morning everything on the desk is put in purse and carryon, another sweep of the cabin and I'm usually comforable. So far, so good.

Archived