Norwegian Epic Transatlantic

gstewart

Hi all

Considering booking on the Epic's Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Miami in October. Has anyone done this itinerary and would you recommend it.

We did our first cruise this year in the Med on the Carnival Breeze which was fantastic and the Epic also looks to be a fantastic ship.

Thanks

G

Hi all

Considering booking on the Epic's Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Miami in October. Has anyone done this itinerary and would you recommend it.

We did our first cruise this year in the Med on the Carnival Breeze which was fantastic and the Epic also looks to be a fantastic ship.

Thanks

G

Although I have not done this itinerary, I would love to someday. We will be sailing on the Epic in March, and in talking with those on our roll call that have already sailed Epic, they feel that 7 days is not enough on the ship. They all are looking forward to sailing her again because there is so much to do that cannot be crammed into a 7-day sailing. So, it's my understanding that a TA would give more time to truly experience a ship with so many options.

My husband and I are doing the transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona in April. Our first cruise was an Alaska repositioning on the Star that left from Long Beach and didn't stop until Juneau. After experiencing the sea days and the port days, we decided that our favorite days were at sea. It was wonderful to see Alaska and we did enjoy the excursion out to Mendenhall Glacier, but the rest of it was kind of meh. We're not all about Diamonds International or Tanzanite or sheets or bags that change color in the sun, so we're not so much into the ports of call.

We like the repositioning cruises because there are more sea days, the ship is generally less crowded and you get a bit of a price break, sort of like vacationing during shoulder season. On our first cruise, we were worried we'd be bored on the sea days, but the NCL peeps are pros and know how to keep you busy. I'm really looking forward to being on the Epic and I think you'll enjoy it as well! :D

I did the TA on the Epic in October and it was amazing. So great. Met tons of great people, just walked into any specialty restaurant any night without reservations, got free bubbly when we had to wait at the main dining room a couple of times, but were seated almost immediately.

The Epic is an amazing ship, I highly recommend this itinerary. I'm doing the Star TA this coming October with a bunch of people I met on the last one :)

I cruised on the Epic Transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona last April and am considering it again for this year. It was a great trip. There's lots to do and I met a host of great people to pass the time with both passengers and crew. I'd definitely recommend it, let me know if you have any specific questions.

I wrote a brief overview of the trip here: http://travelxena.com/norwegian-epic-transatlantic-miami-to-barcelona/

Thanks for all your replies folks. They are really helpful.

I think we are gonna go ahead and book a balcony room. I have read a lot about the Epic over the past couple of weeks and I have to say, she sounds like an amazing ship.

On our Carnival Breeze cruise in October we also loved the ship and could have done with a few more sea days to enjoy it more.

One more question - is it likely that the ship will not be full for this crossing?

We did Epic TA not once but twice! From Barcelona to Miami in Oct 2011 and we extended it by 4 days to go from Rome to Miami (via Barcelona) in Oct 2012.

Both great voyages - mostly calm waters and lovely sunshine.

Plenty to do on ship - we had to find time to get bored!

Thanks for all your replies folks. They are really helpful.

I think we are gonna go ahead and book a balcony room. I have read a lot about the Epic over the past couple of weeks and I have to say, she sounds like an amazing ship.

On our Carnival Breeze cruise in October we also loved the ship and could have done with a few more sea days to enjoy it more.

One more question - is it likely that the ship will not be full for this crossing?

Oct 2011 ship was about 2/3 full (3000) but it was just full (double occupancy - 4000) in Oct 2012, but we didn't feel crowded. I guess the Epic got herself popular for the long TA voyages.

The Garden Cafe buffet was fantastic - we even ate in there for dinner some evenings when we could not be bothered to dress up to go out!

You might find some really great price drops with a Transatlantic a couple of months before sailing. Keep an eye on the prices. Having said that its always a crap shoot with the airfare!

The one-way air fares between Miami and Edinburgh are stupid prices at the moment. A return would cost less but I am told airlines are wise to this and can penalise you if you book a return and only use the ticket for one leg.

The one-way air fares between Miami and Edinburgh are stupid prices at the moment. A return would cost less but I am told airlines are wise to this and can penalise you if you book a return and only use the ticket for one leg.

How do the Airlines penalize you?? Maybe rules are different in Europe

I dont know what airline you are looking at but I fly United and If I cant make a flight on any leg I just call and tha the amount$$ of the flight can be used up to a year later.

Of course it might cost a $150 change fee :rolleyes:

How do the Airlines penalize you?? Maybe rules are different in Europe

I dont know what airline you are looking at but I fly United and If I cant make a flight on any leg I just call and tha the amount$$ of the flight can be used up to a year later.

Of course it might cost a $150 change fee :rolleyes:

I'm curious about this as well. I've only used one leg of a return trip a few times, but granted the last time was at least a couple of years ago and I wouldn't want any unwelcome surprises.

See this piece on throwaway ticketing.

When faced with a $3,060.70 one-way flight compared to a $880.20 roundtrip ticket on the same airline for the same departure date to the same gateway, you may feel the urge to call up a certain airline and tell them where they can put their one-way fare. After all, you're paying over three times the price for half the goods. So why not buy the roundtrip ticket for the same departure date and skip the second flight?

Unfortunately, the airlines are on to travelers who participate in what they call "throwaway ticketing" (although we prefer the more appropriate term, "turning the tables"), booking a roundtrip flight and only using one of your tickets in order to save money over a more expensive one-way flight. Most airlines have a restrictive clause in their terms and conditions that bans throwaway ticketing. For example, Delta's Web site says the airline prohibits "Throw-away ticketing -- use of discounted roundtrip excursion fares for one-way travel." As punishment, the airline threatens to confiscate unused flight coupons, refuse boarding or even charge the passenger for the more expensive one-way flight.

Although throwaway ticketing is taboo according to airline executives, many travelers risk getting caught and do it anyway. Your airline might never notice. Travel agents tend to stay away from the practice because airlines may threaten to refuse tickets to agents who help travelers book throwaway tickets. Bottom line: Engage in throwaway ticketing at your own risk.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/air-travel/how-to-save-on-one-way-flights

I cruised on the Epic Transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona last April and am considering it again for this year. It was a great trip. There's lots to do and I met a host of great people to pass the time with both passengers and crew. I'd definitely recommend it, let me know if you have any specific questions.

I wrote a brief overview of the trip here: http://travelxena.com/norwegian-epic-transatlantic-miami-to-barcelona/

Thanks for your review, we'll be doing this Epic crossing April 20! Can't wait!

Thank you for posting that I didnt even know of that clause

Dont book Delta :eek:

But If you book your airfare from MIA RT with 2-3 weeks in between how do they know you arnt on vacation. They dont know you are on a cruise

If you call and cancel day of say Im not sure when Im traveling what are they going to do? Say your lying??? No they will say Ok sir give us a call when you want to re-book this.

Another option is plan on doing 2 TA's one the one in Oct and another Eastbound in Apr2014

BTW RT air is only about $300 less from MIA-EDI on United than a one way:confused:

Good Luck with your decision and if you decide to do the cruise come on over and join the Roll Call:D

Hi all

Thanks

G

I've done that itinerary and love it. This year we are going from Copenhagen to Miami. We love it because of all the relaxing sea days. They have shipboard activities that you can take part in if you wish.

If you are happy with no ports, just lounging by the pool or taking part in activities or just relaxing somewhere you'll love it. On the Epic those sea days will give you plenty of time to explore all that the ship offers.

You can also try 1800flyeurope.com. We bought our 1-way tickets to Barcelona for the 2011 TA and the prices were very reasonable and booked us on American Airlines nonstop to BCN.

WOW!!! I didnt know about them

to the OP I just checked and it is $800 cheaper for a one way MIA-EDI on that site instead of booking direct with AA. 560 one way

And for us If we wernt using miles for our flght to BCN I would use them. Its about half what we would have to pay booking direct

Archived