Researching Holland: Maasdam?

mommy5

We have cruised several times with Princess....not so happy with service and the beds were terrible the last 2 cruises on Emerald. We love the Jan. 2014 itinerary on the Maasdam but know that it is a much smaller ship. we really enjoyed our sail on the Island Princess thru Panama Canal. Any thoughts on a comparison to this ship? Will we be disappointed with Holland? Any thoughts on those that have been on Maasdam? We are early 50's and love all ages of people.

Deb

We have cruised several times with Princess. Last 2 cruises on Emerald...disappointed with the service/food/ and beds were terrible! We love the itinerary for Maasdam in Jan. 2014 but know it is a much smaller ship. We really enjoyed the Panama Canal on Island Princess...any comparisons?

Thanks

Deb

From an early 60'er to an early 50'er, hi. We just got off Maasdam from a 42 day cruise. We LOVED her. We really liked the size of her. Food was great..service, great. Best of all, the beds were VERY comfortable.

She carries about 1300 pax, which in my opinion makes her just the right size. We cruised princess, again, in my opinion, no comparison. Enjoy your cruise :)

Holland America's ship, Maasdam, is one of our favorites in the fleet and we've sailed 14 of Holland America's 15 ships.

She is quietly elegant, wonderful art, beautiful two level dining room, larger than average cabins in most categories, and an outstanding crew.

We have sailed Maasdam over 30 cruises and have two more booked on her. :)

She is older, shows a bit of wear and tear, here and there, but has been lovingly maintained.

Some of her itineraries are outstanding. :)

I think you made a very good pick for a first shot at HAL - the beds are fabulous, the cabins more spacious than most in the same categories, the service and pride on the Maasdam is second to none.

When we started cruising not knowing anything about any of the cruise lines, we juggled Princess, Celebrity and HAL and picked HAL primarily because she offered a slightly better and more interesting itinerary.

Now after many more trips we realize this is her strong suit and a perfect fit for us - great and unusual itineraries always keep coming up, so we never tire of going new places on these wonderful smaller HAL ships.

And we love sinking in to those wonderful beds and being surrounded by such a gracious and professional crew. HAL is our little cocoon now. Comfortable but not flashy, solid but not trendy. Just good basics delivered consistently and well.

You've hit the jackpot, so to speak, choosing the Maasdam!

We've sailed on her twice in January...in '11 and again in '12. And I've booked her next January as well! She's a fabulous ship...I think you'll enjoy her. We're doing the Ryndam this month as HAL is doing the Amazon and we want the Caribbean. If HAL had done a repeat of last year's cruise or the one we have booked in '14, we'd be on her in a heartbeat.

We had one cruise on Princess...and the rest have been on HAL...and we've never looked back.

We have done Island Princess, Maasdam, Amsterdam and Century. Shipwise Maasdam was the most comfortable, best culinary experience. On board activities was Island Princess. All cruises were 14 or more days. Not partial to any brand, itinerary is more important - love sea days.

Have sailed on the Massdam twice, for 7 and 13 days. Loved the ship and crew. Very comfortable feeling. Ship is in good conditon IMO.

The only negative thing I can report is true of HAL's smallest ships - they do not have mid-ship elevators. This can lead to longer walks getting around the ship. The fact that the Promenade deck (inside) does not run from the front to back of the ship also is a pain at times.

Go for it!

DaveOKC

I am looking at the pics on website...it does look lovely. Just one lido pool?? I am a bit confused about which restaurants have an extra fee.

Thanks for all the help!

Deb

Maasdam has two pools.

She has Lido Deck pool which is mid ship and under the glass, retractable roof.

Her aft pool on Navigation Deck is one of DH's favorite spots on Maasdam. He has spent many weeks of his life prone on lounge chair enjoying the sea, sun and relaxation of Maasdam. Her aft pool is terrific IMO

Pinnacle and Canaletto Restaurants both have an upcharge for dining.

Her aft pool is terrific IMO

On our recent 42 day Maasdam cruise the aft pool was

a smoking section and well attended by those who smoke.

Her aft pool is terrific IMO

On our recent 42 day Maasdam cruise the aft pool was

a smoking section and well attended by those who smoke.

Archived