How to handle a husband that is not as excited as you

my hubby was exactly the same, he wanted nothing to do with cruising because of fear of getting him seasick. Well we just got back from his first cruise and he is hooked!! he had so much fun!!. And this was our first cruise without kids, what fun!!!

Nope. It's been great for DW and I to sit and plan our first cruise together. Booked Nov 30th and leave Feb 11th on the Ecstasy.

It's all a new experience for us - we'll be leaving the snow, flying 8 hours each way, leaving the 4 kids at home. We just spent about 3 hours looking at the web together trying to book our pre-cruise hotel. All mental ************ - just to find the "right" place at the right price. Truth is it doesn't matter but we spent that time together and know what we're heading into.

Also spent hours talking about excursions - I finally talked her into doing the people to people thing in Nassau, still can't get her to go fishing in Freeport, but heck it's been fun.

And yes, we're both working on losing a bit of extra flab, too. Truthfully, it's been very good for our marriage at this point.

Good for you! We found the best ship times were early am. You can watch the sunrise and walk the track, knowing that you don't HAVE to DO anything. Have a nice breakfast and go back to bed!

Hubby leaves the planning to me, but totally gets into it when we go. He's a lot of fun.

My husband had little interest in the planning of our first few cruises but he looks forward to our cruises as much as I do now. In the last 5 years he's become a bigger fish in the work pond and he's usually called at least once on every vacation about one issue or another now. Our cruises are the one place where he doesn't get called or need to bring his work computer.

Lump my DH in with the ones who don't get excited until the last minute. I'm the planner, packer and Cruise Critic junkie. I don't ask him to chitchat on the boards, but I will talk about what's going on. Every now and then he will ask about a certain person, event, ship, etc. This year he really surprised me by selecting the cruises. I know he will become excited and don't worry about when it will happen. Hey, I have enough going for the 2 of us plus others!!

My DH is exactly the same! I do a lot of talking here and have found a buddy at work who is leaving the exact same weekend on a different ship (she's on IoS, we're on EoS) to talk about it with.

As for DH, I just keep feeding him little bits of information occasionally ("Did you know that the Dragons Breath Flight line is the longest zip line over water in the world?" "Wow, it says here that Puerto Rico is one of the best places to view biolumnescent organisms. Have you ever seen that on TV? It's really neat.") and if it interests him, we end up discussing it.

Also, in the earlier planning stages, I would narrow it down to 2 or 3 excursions I was interested in and then ask which he would prefer which sometimes got the conversations rolling. At the end of the day, I do the majority of the planning and the organizing but he has usually given me enough input that we're doing things he wants to do too.

Wow...just thought it was my husband! He says pretty much the same as other husbands, that he will get excited once he is on the plane. So I just come here and talk to you guys :)

Oh, forgot to add that my husband's only concern is that we get a balcony. It doesn't matter to me, but he says that is the only way we will go.

Let me clear a few things up. I am perfectly fine with dh not waiting to talk about a cruise everyday but he has had no input on the ship, itinerary, dates, child care or anything else for that matter. My issue is that he does not even want to have one conversation about vacation. Now on the other hand we talk about his interest multiple times a day and I mean multiple times. Let me also mention that we were married on a cruise and this is going to also be a birthday celebration as well. I will continue to to chat away on cc and enjoy my planning time and possible change out the passengers for my cruise :o!!

Hmmmm ...... 'nuf said.:rolleyes:

Well its sort of the other way around with me. After our first cruise last November, I was hooked on cruising. Booked our second cruise for end of this Feb and have been so excited. My DW doesn't do well with sitting at a computer and reading forums or reviews or researching. To me, its the exciting part, after all, once on the ship, you can relax and enjoy all the preparation. So I tend to take the lead on planning and putting together the trip. I do ask for her input and get feedback, but more often then not she is fine with what I choose. The nice thing is that I tend to go all out and don't mind spending the money and yes, I do get carried away with some extravagence. YOLO. My only regret......... I discovered CC AFTER I booked and reserved the major part of our vacation. But now I am addicted to this site and can't seem to get enough and have learned SO much. I already have ideas and thoughts for our next 5 cruises......... just have to work on convincing the missus and selling the idea to her. ;)

thank you

-Kris

My husband is never excited after I have booked a cruise. And he could care less about a roll call, or what I report about it. About a week before the cruise, he asks "what ship are we on again?" and "Which cabin is ours?" and goes online to look at the ship a little.

When it's time to pack, he complains a little about it, says he'll never get everything ready to be able to go away, worries about our cats, moans about this and that, expects bad traffic on the way to the pier.

Once on board, he's a new man. Relaxed and as into it as I am. Same thing every time. :D

Mine gets angry if he feels he's been included in the planning :p

He gets so stressed weighing all he options and wondering how much his opinion affects and what if he's wrong...

Hence, I'm not allowed to ask his opinion :rolleyes:

He'd rather just show up and think everything has been planned as well as possible. I talk to him all the time about our cruises and travels and everything. I know he isn't listening most of the time which actually is good. Then I get to share my excitement with him but he still gets surprised :D

For our first cruise it took me months to convince DH to go. Our next cruise it took me 15 minutes. Now when we cruise HE starts packing six months in advance (and that's not a typo!).

We took my parents on a cruise. I asked my Dad if he was looking forward to it, and he said he didn't know because he'd never been on one and had no idea of what it would be like. Perhaps that's how your husband feels.

Don't overwhelm him, just read the boards, join the roll call, and enjoy the planning stages yourself. It may be a different story for your next cruise!

In defence of husbands here. I do all of the planning, booking etc etc. Sue wants nothing to do with this process. All she wants to know is when are we going, for how long and what type of clothes to pack.

So you're saying she has a man's brain trapped in a woman's body. :D Sorry but you lobbed that one up there. ;)

I'm the planner in our family, my husband really appreciates being able to just show up and have everything done and for me the planning is as much fun as the vacation.

This will be our first cruise but I don't expect it to be any different :)

When we first got married he would brush off any questions I asked to get him involved and then question why we were doing a particular outing at that time. Took a while to work it out but we've now come to the agreement that I will make the plans available in advance and he can look at it anytime he wants. If there's something I think he might be concerned about I'll raise it before booking but otherwise he just has to relax and go with it.

Oh and I agree to stick to the budget. I get around that one by creating the budget halfway through the planning process ;)

Can't see where it matters one way or the other.

At least he agrees to go. There are some couples where the husbands dislike cruises, so their wives go without them.

Not everyone gets excited about the same things.

Whether it is a football game, a ski trip, the theater, mountain climbing, a helicopter ride, hot air ballooning or whatever, typically one person will be more excited about it than another.

Just take shopping, for example..........;)

We have had a rough year and a half and have booked Oasis for this Aug. I am beyond thrilled and want to talk about it everyday dh on the other hand could care less. He claims he will get excited when we are on the ship. To me part of the fun is the planning and talking about it. How do you handle a situation like this?l this will also be our first vacation with out kids ever!!

Promise him naughty things on the cruise:eek:

We have had a rough year and a half and have booked Oasis for this Aug. I am beyond thrilled and want to talk about it everyday dh on the other hand could care less. He claims he will get excited when we are on the ship. To me part of the fun is the planning and talking about it. How do you handle a situation like this?l this will also be our first vacation with out kids ever!!

I didn't read the responses but I'm guessing they are going to mimic what I say. My boyfriend HATES when I talk and plan the cruise! lol - he has put me on a 2 week no cruise talk plan before :D Imo, that's what Cruisecritic is for!! Come plan with us! Talk non-stop about how you can't wait and what you'll do and what you want to see! That's what we are here for! :p

Honestly? Nothing. We ebb and flow between the two of us who is more excited when. Whoever is fired up chatters nonstop, whoever isn't shuts up. By the time we're on vacation, both of us are thrilled to be there and we have a great time!

Wife said that all I could talk about was the cruise we/I are/am planning. (Okay, so she was right.) I then told her that, on the first leg of the flight to FCO, I booked us in "economy comfort" seats. (We always book the cheapest seats, so she liked this idea.) She's excited now!

Wife said that all I could talk about was the cruise we/I are/am planning. (Okay, so she was right.) I then told her that, on the first leg of the flight to FCO, I booked us in "economy comfort" seats. (We always book the cheapest seats, so she liked this idea.) She's excited now!

You are a wonderful hubby. Tat was nice of you to get those comfy seats on the plane.

We need more men like you to set the stage for the cruise.

Hey girls, if dh is a pain, go on a girl cruise. I Sail with hubby and other couples in feb and then 2 with additional cruises with girlfriends in April and oct. There is no hounding, no whining, no "turn off the tv dear". it is just girl time to do whatever. And, we can talk about it whenever we want precruise.

Love the dh but love the girl cruises even more:rolleyes:

Here's at least one guy with the opposite problem.

My wife doesn't get excited until about a week or 2 away. She does a decent job of pretending to listen to me go on about the cruise in the months leading up but I always find out later she only got like 10% of what I said.

On the other hand she is always impressed that I know my way around the ship from the moment we board.

Count me in with the opposite problem, I love all the planning, cruise critic-ing, etc. My DW doesn't enjoy this and thinks all this "preparation" takes some the fun out of it for her. To each there own! Bottom line is I can spend time on this site getting what I need and she gets to just go with the flow. When we get to the airport to leave we are both ready to go!

What you need to do is put your hubby under a cold shower:) and tell him things he needs to do for the cruise. He will wake up and smell the coffee by then.

Put up post its about the cruise and get him on CruiseCritic and let him suffer a bit until T-24 hours.

Archived