New bayport cruise port

seafish

As you probably know - Princess (and NCL) will begin Caribbean sailings out of the new Houston Bayside Terminal (Seabrook, TX) later this year. We already booked Caribbean Princess 2-8-14 to snag an aft AE. In doing some research-it appears a lot of pieces need to come together by both Princess & Local Operators to provide needed services such as ground transport (Taxi,Shuttle,Limos)...near port hotels, etc., for the influx of passengers.

I've called Princess twice but so far - they have no info on possible hotel options, transfers, etc. I called a number of Taxi/Shuttle/Limo services out of HOU - again.. at this point no plans in place. I did check the Seabrook area for hotels, restaurants, attractions (Johnson Space Center,etc)...as of now-really not sure how the area will handle the huge passenger influx - and the port of Galveston remains.

Yes - the first salings in November are still some time away and things may develop in the coming months. But - it seems strange that Princess would offer cruises from this new port without having support in place - sort of the old cart before the horse adage. We do prefer to make travel arrangements early & yes love Princess - but this one seems odd.

So with ALL that said - does anyone care to speculate on how & when travel resources (ground transport,accommodations, etc) will come together over the next few months to support the herds of cruise-people to the new port? Can anyone suggest how best to get to/from HOU Hobby airport to/from the new port? Appreciate any input.

Edited by seafish

wow...that just seems so odd that a deal would be in place to have cruise ships coming in and not have all of those other kinks worked out, especially since Houston has been waiting for ships to leave from that port for 4 years. I guess it's because the cruise terminals are making money either way (because of the deal that they've signed). I assume that they have to hire staff first, make schedules etc. before being able to provide those specifics, but I could very well be wrong.

Edited by cmpo

Rumor I heard was that Princess wanted $$$$ to stay in Galveston and the Port of Galveston was not willing to pay them so much for only a 6 month contract. The Port of Houston offered millions for Princess to dock there.

Bayport has been a thorn since the Houston voters agreed to the $$$'s but had nothing to show for it.

At least in Galveston, one can walk around town then walk to the ship. Not so at Bayport. Just a dock and parking lot. Granted, Seabrook and Kemah are near, but not if one doesn't have transportation.

I assume their will still be transportation issues from the airports; private taxi or cruise shuttle day of departure. Bayport may be a few miles closer than Galveston to the airports, but it still takes the same amount of time to get there due to th highway system.

Will see how this unfolds in the coming year but don't anticipate any major changes.

Rumor I heard was that Princess wanted $$$$ to stay in Galveston and the Port of Galveston was not willing to pay them so much for only a 6 month contract. The Port of Houston offered millions for Princess to dock there.

Bayport has been a thorn since the Houston voters agreed to the $$$'s but had nothing to show for it.

At least in Galveston, one can walk around town then walk to the ship. Not so at Bayport. Just a dock and parking lot. Granted, Seabrook and Kemah are near, but not if one doesn't have transportation.

I assume their will still be transportation issues from the airports; private taxi or cruise shuttle day of departure. Bayport may be a few miles closer than Galveston to the airports, but it still takes the same amount of time to get there due to th highway system.

Will see how this unfolds in the coming year but don't anticipate any major changes.

IMO - you nailed it! I did find a Taxi service out of Seabrook that may be our R/T transport answer. But - as usual..post cruise we had planned to get a rental car (one-way) for a couple days in New Orleans - no such luck ... only one-ways are from airports - so we scrapped that plan .. and may scrap this cruise - not a good feeling this early out. Sort of sounds like a political money-thing. Thanks for your input.

nice, now it all makes sense and I also had no idea that the distance (in time) to travel to Bayport will be the same as traveling to Galveston. Sounds like Princess docking at Bayport is just a stop gap until they can find another port for it. Also, I lived in Houston for about a year, that highway system has to be one of the worst in America.

nice, now it all makes sense and I also had no idea that the distance (in time) to travel to Bayport will be the same as traveling to Galveston. Sounds like Princess docking at Bayport is just a stop gap until they can find another port for it. Also, I lived in Houston for about a year, that highway system has to be one of the worst in America.

cmpo .. Thanks for your info .. we are starting to reconsider this one.

I don't want to discourage anyone from sailing out of Houston/Galveston, but one does need to know the facts.

Unless you only want to sail on Princess, try Galveston (RCCL & Carnival). There is so much to do here as well as great hotels and restaurants and the 2nd largest collection of Victorian homes outside of Savannah.

Not sure what the 2014 dates are for Mardi Gras - hotel rates do go up.

Does anyone know for sure if and when Princess will begin sailing out of Houston's cruise port? We are considering booking the 8th cruise but would not would to do so especially if this was the first cruise for Princess out of that port.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this issue.

Since you live in Houston....... Bayport will shorter drive for you by about 20 minutes. I look forward to cruising on NCL from there

Dnt let those people from the Island tell you otherwise;):p

Does anyone know for sure if and when Princess will begin sailing out of Houston's cruise port? We are considering booking the 8th cruise but would not would to do so especially if this was the first cruise for Princess out of that port.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this issue.

Yes - We are already booked on the 2/8/14 Caribbean Princess 7 Day Western Caribbean cruise out of the new Houston port near Seabrook, Tx. But - after taking a closer look at all issues associated with this new port - we are reconsidering. Princess is to begin service 11/9/13 - so no problem with being on the first "shake-down" cruise. Take a look at the Princess website.

Bayport is not new, it was closed for a few years. Don't let the Galveston folks talk you out of Houston. It is closer, there are and will be options. Kemah is a great choice, so is Clear Lake. Because there are no ships there now, information is slow in coming. There will be infrastructure in place in time. The car rental/hotel/cabs are not going to bypass this market!!! It is much closer to IAH and somewhat closer than Hobby.

Bayport is going to hurt Galveston in 2014. Disney is already pulling out!!!

Galveston's cruise terminal lacks capacity to handle the influx of "new" cruise ships. It barely handles the current load. The cruise lines will offer transfers.

There are plenty of hotels near both Houston airports.

Bayport Terminal: 22 miles from HOU

(42 miles from HOU to Galveston Cruise terminal)

Bayport Terminal: 48 miles from IAH

(78 miles from IAH to Galveston Cruise terminal)

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/11/15/houstons-bayport-cruise-terminal.html

Edited by Stevesan

The cruise lines offer transfers from airports to ships; however, they only provide them on the day of departure and arrival.

Yes, there are many hotels near airports, but little around for travelers to walk.

Either port requires car rental, transfers or private transporation.

Galveston has handled up to 18,000 passengers arriving and departing in one day. Not perfect, but it has worked.

At least in Galveston, passengers can drop off luggage and walk to the Strand area.

Distance to and from airports is one thing, but one still has to realize the driving time.

Having driven Hwy 225 to Hwy 146 many times, the time to travel is almost double due to traffic, lights and road construction.

Houston is paying the cruise lines to dock; whereas Galveston would and could not pay the millions of $'s that Princess demanded and Princess would not agree to more than a 6 month contract. NCL docked at Bayport several years ago then pulled out. Don't know why, but there had to be some issues for them to leave.

I wish both ports success.

Galveston's cruise terminal lacks capacity to handle the influx of "new" cruise ships. It barely handles the current load. The cruise lines will offer transfers.

There are plenty of hotels near both Houston airports.

Bayport Terminal: 22 miles from HOU

(42 miles from HOU to Galveston Cruise terminal)

Bayport Terminal: 48 miles from IAH

(78 miles from IAH to Galveston Cruise terminal)

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/11/15/houstons-bayport-cruise-terminal.html

I usually drive in a day early and stay in a motel. What is available around the new Houston Terminal. Also what kind of cab service is available?

Currently there really isn't cab service in significant numbers.

I did look at the Supershuttle web site which is a popular way to get from hotels to airport and they do have the Bayport Cruise port as an option. No real service yet, but they are obviously thinking about it.

Within 5 miles there are several hotels concentrated in three areas. La Porte, 3mi north, the Johnson Space Center area 4mi south and the Kemah Boardwalk area 5mi south.

A quick search shows a dozen or more currently available.

This is more than enough to support the people who will be on these cruises.

Further away there are dozens of hotels in Houston proper and taxi service readily available.

If I were to be planning this far out, i would look to book one of the hotels at the Kemah Boardwalk.

There's a Comfort Suites about a mile or so from the port. I used to drive by there about once a week when they were both being built. I guess they thought they'd get in on the ground floor and have the hotel ready for the cruise crowds.

ETA: It says on the hotels site that they are 10 miles from the Houston Cruise Terminal. That's incorrect if you look at the map the terminal is towards the end of Port Road. I'm guessing that whoever put that mileage list together put the mileage to the main part of the Port of Houston which is much farther north.

Comfort Suites Seabrook

With NCL's contract going to the 2016-2017 season, I bet we'll see new construction there soon. Hotels, parking lots, convenience stores, etc.

I'm sure the various shuttle, limo, and cab companies are already planning for this. Just because we're not hearing anything this far out doesn't mean it's not happening. Like scottamemnon said, Bayport is already showing up on Supershuttle's site.

Edited by Rudyard

• 8 months later...

The first cruise out of Bayport, Tx will be on the Caribbean Princess ship on November 5, 2013. It is a special 4 night cruise honoring our veterans and is a

"Cruise for a Cause". A portion of the ticket prices will go to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and Operation Homefront. Cruisers will get an income tax deduction as well with Princess matching the contribution up to $300.00.

It has been challenging finding a hotel and transportation. Not much help from Princess either. Not being familiar with the area, it has been difficult to identify exactly where the port is and then a nearby hotel. I have come up with Seabrook, Tx as the closest area. The closest rental car agency I have found is Enterprise. I'm still working on getting us to the hotel (Comfort Suites) for a stay the night before sailing. Hope this is helpful.

The first cruise out of Bayport, Tx will be on the Caribbean Princess ship on November 5, 2013. It is a special 4 night cruise honoring our veterans and is a

"Cruise for a Cause". A portion of the ticket prices will go to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and Operation Homefront. Cruisers will get an income tax deduction as well with Princess matching the contribution up to $300.00.

It has been challenging finding a hotel and transportation. Not much help from Princess either. Not being familiar with the area, it has been difficult to identify exactly where the port is and then a nearby hotel. I have come up with Seabrook, Tx as the closest area. The closest rental car agency I have found is Enterprise. I'm still working on getting us to the hotel (Comfort Suites) for a stay the night before sailing. Hope this is helpful.

First Princess ship to disembark will be on November 5, 2013 for the season (Caribbean Islander from NYC to Houston) then November 5th the 4 day Veterans Cruise will embark from the Houston terminal.

The address for Bayport is 4700 Cruise Road,Pasadena, TX.

The Comfort Suites on Bayport Blvd. in Seabrook will have complimentary transportation from the hotel(per G.M) to the cruise port terminal. I am sure other hotels will also have similar arrangements.

As far as car rentals I have not done research on that for Houston.

There is always Super Shuttle or taxi from airport to the hotel.

Edited by arizonaperson

• 2 months later...
I also booked this Caribbean Princess cruise on 2/8/2014 and have not find the best transportation from IAH airport to hotel and free shuttle from hotel to Bayport Cruise Terminal. Let me know if you can give some advise.

I think you will only find free transportation for one segment once in Houston.

Try staying at the Marriott in the IAH airport only if you have others joining you, then take the Princess transfer to the port

Others here have made great recommendation for great place to stay

Enjoy your cruise

I was originally staying at another hotel but the transportation situation was just too complicated with the distance and timing etc. I changed our hotel reservation and now we are staying at the Marriott at IAH. We are then taking the Princess shuttle on Saturday. I figured if the ship was delayed then Princess transport would know the details and drop us off accordingly. I just think this is so much easier in Fort Lauderdale.