Really NCL???

macruisefan

So, I've never cruised NCL. Yesterday, I was checking out the website, and looking at cruise options. Somewhere along the way, I entered my name, email address and phone number. While browsing through the site, numerous times, I was greeted with a pop-up to the effects of "Do you want to live chat or speak with someone?????" Um, no.... If I wanted to talk to someone I would've called, but thanks anyway.

Sure enough, first thing this morning, my phone rings with a Florida exchange. I answer it and get "Good morning sir! I'm Nancy, your personal cruise consultant with NCL. I saw you were reviewing our website yesterday...."

"I'm sorry Nancy, but I was looking on the website, because I didn't want to talk to a sales associate. I'm not interested, but thank you. Please don't call again". And I hung up.

Ten minutes later, I check my email. FOUR emails from "Nancy": One saying how nice it was to talk to me (LOL!), one "introducing" herself to me, one with specials meant "just for me", and one asking me to facebook friend her.

So, one visit to their website resulted in three "talk to me!" pop ups, an unsolicited phone call, and four emails....

Serioulsy NCL, way to look desperate....

So, I've never cruised NCL. Yesterday, I was checking out the website, and looking at cruise options. Somewhere along the way, I entered my name, email address and phone number. While browsing through the site, numerous times, I was greeted with a pop-up to the effects of "Do you want to live chat or speak with someone?????" Um, no.... If I wanted to talk to someone I would've called, but thanks anyway.

Sure enough, first thing this morning, my phone rings with a Florida exchange. I answer it and get "Good morning sir! I'm Nancy, your personal cruise consultant with NCL. I saw you were reviewing our website yesterday...."

"I'm sorry Nancy, but I was looking on the website, because I didn't want to talk to a sales associate. I'm not interested, but thank you. Please don't call again". And I hung up.

Ten minutes later, I check my email. FOUR emails from "Nancy": One saying how nice it was to talk to me (LOL!), one "introducing" herself to me, one with specials meant "just for me", and one asking me to facebook friend her.

So, one visit to their website resulted in three "talk to me!" pop ups, an unsolicited phone call, and four emails....

Too funny! I guess the lesson to be learned here is do not leave your phone number when prompted. :D Anyway, I have worked in the stressful sales environment and unfortunately, this is what sales and marketing departments direct their sales force to do. Actually, I was embarassed contacting people too frequently. As such, I no longer work in this field because being pushy is part of the gig. :( Thanks for sharing your encounter with CC. :)

Really, is this that big of a deal? You gave out your info . . . this is what happens. Ignore the pop ups, delete the e-mails and you could have ignored the call when you didn't recognize the number. :confused:

Yeah, I kinda don't see any way to fault Norwegian in this. The only way the company could've called and emailed would've been if information had been put into the pop-up window that appeared. The OP seems to have left out that little detail. :)

I've clicked past those from NCL, Celebrity, Oceania, RCCL, and Holland-America on all their sites while browsing cruise options recently and no one's emailed me or called me except my travel agent.

Yeah, I kinda don't see any way to fault Norwegian in this. The only way the company could've called and emailed would've been if information had been put into the pop-up window that appeared. The OP seems to have left out that little detail. :)

I've clicked past those from NCL, Celebrity, Oceania, RCCL, and Holland-America on all their sites while browsing cruise options recently and no one's emailed me or called me except my travel agent.

OP said they entered their name, phone number and email address. No suprise they were contacted.

I was pricing cruises. I've never sailed Norweigian before. So, I wanted to see how it broke down the pricing (i.e. prepaid gratuities, deposit amount, etc...) Once you get to the screen that shows the total price and room selection, to go any farther, you need to enter info and sign in. I never filled the info into one of the popups. But, I did set up an account. I unchecked the "send me email offers", and on three occasions declined to talk with someone. Just thought it was funny that it took a mere one day to get bombarded.

BTW, I agree this is not unique to NCL, and in that, my assessment may be a little harsh. But there's an old saying,: you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I guess it just amazes me that sales departments are still run by such simple minded people. I mean, does that approach actually work? Bombard the person with phone calls and emails, even when they indicated they weren't interested in such things? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people are actually drawn in by that enough that it's worthwhile.

But in this day and age, I feel like if I don't specifically reach out to someone, actually CALLING me on my phone, that's exceptionally intrusive. My mistake for giving the info obviously.

macruisefan, not the same as what happened to you, but a couple years ago, I booked the Norwegian Jade for a Med. cruise. Within hours of the booking, I started receiving email advertisements from Nile Blue Excursions in Egypt. Nile Blue even found me on Facebook and tried to friend me. The emails were easy enough to unsubscribe from and I simply ignored the FB request, but I still can't say I appreciate NCL sharing my contact info, unsolicited, with a third party.

I, on the other hand... am platinum, cruise 2, 3 or 4 times / year - usually in suites, they have all of my info, yet I never receive any emails from them with the exception of "we've mailed your welcome kit". I don't get mail from them either...specifically, not the welcome kits:rolleyes:.

I get a call every few days. I answer my ringing cell phone and get blasted by a ship horn! Then a guy says "This is your captain speaking". I don't remember the rest because I always hang up now when I hear the ship horn.

I do have to say, the ship horn makes me smile as I say "Damn,they got me again!"

I don't think it is NCL though, I think it is that little cruise ship that takes a day or two cruise to the Bahamas. Then they try to sell you a timeshare I think.

I know that went off topic, but thought it funny. Any how I only get call from Princess cruises, none of the other lines.

Must be their first day ever on the internet.

That's not quite the case. Honestly, I was pricing a cruise, used autofill on Chrome, and didn't think much of it. But thanks for the insult. Not sure about here on the NCL board, but I know on Celebrity and RCI board, insult posts like yours don't last long.

That's not quite the case. Honestly, I was pricing a cruise, used autofill on Chrome, and didn't think much of it. But thanks for the insult. Not sure about here on the NCL board, but I know on Celebrity and RCI board, insult posts like yours don't last long.

I have followed the posts on every line I sailed and it seems that folks are pretty much the same on all of them. I personally would not let an insult, real or percieved bother me too much. It just causes aggravation and grief.

I could buy into your evolving explanation expect that:

a) autofill does not mean autosubmit...you had to do that yourself

b) you don't EVER need to enter any personal information on the NCL website in order to see complete pricing on a cruise

Sounds like you made a mistake. Nothing wrong with that, right? I just wouldn't try to blame someone else for it...there are too many people who know better.

I was pricing cruises. I've never sailed Norweigian before. So, I wanted to see how it broke down the pricing (i.e. prepaid gratuities, deposit amount, etc...) Once you get to the screen that shows the total price and room selection, to go any farther, you need to enter info and sign in. I never filled the info into one of the popups. But, I did set up an account. I unchecked the "send me email offers", and on three occasions declined to talk with someone. Just thought it was funny that it took a mere one day to get bombarded.

BTW, I agree this is not unique to NCL, and in that, my assessment may be a little harsh. But there's an old saying,: you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I guess it just amazes me that sales departments are still run by such simple minded people. I mean, does that approach actually work? Bombard the person with phone calls and emails, even when they indicated they weren't interested in such things? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people are actually drawn in by that enough that it's worthwhile.

But in this day and age, I feel like if I don't specifically reach out to someone, actually CALLING me on my phone, that's exceptionally intrusive. My mistake for giving the info obviously.

I check the website all the time, I always get those annoying pop ups...they look hard to get around but if you just X out at the top right...poof they go away.:rolleyes:

Just having some fun with you. You pretty much set yourself up.

Cheers.

Uh - why on earth did you give your personal info if you didn't want to be contacted?! LOL What did you expect?

Archived