6 ships in Ft. Lauderdale 4 in Miami, how crazy will Lauderdale Airport be?

BlueJai

We are flying home from Fort Lauderdale on March 10 after coming on a ship in Miami that morning. Our flight has just been changed to depart at 1:30 (an hour earlier than when we booked). There are 6 ships in Lauderdale that day and 4 in Miami. Last time we flew out of Lauderdale, we were literally lined up outside and around the terminal. That was probably 4-5 years ago and it was a nightmare.

So can anyone share recent experiences from Lauderdale on a Sunday? Do we have cause to worry that we will get through security and everything in time. We will get off the ship as soon as we can but are there still huge crazy lineups? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I am freaking out a little about this.

We booked using air miles and back in August and there were no flights left leaving Miami, that is why we ended up in Lauderdale.

Thanks

Bluejai

Last year, we left Port Everglades around 8:30-9:00am and FLL was CRAZY!! The line was out the door and around the corner -- yes outside the terminal. Your flight is late enough that you will be fine. Just be prepared to wait, wait, wait. And once you finally make it to your gate, good luck getting a seat anywhere!! :eek:

Thanks all. I was really hoping that it would be better than I remembered:eek:. I will do my best to make the best of the vacation and not worry too much about the craziness at the end!

Bluejai

A little fold up chair that you can sling over your shoulder and a good book would be a great help.

So can anyone share recent experiences from Lauderdale on a Sunday? Do we have cause to worry that we will get through security and everything in time. We will get off the ship as soon as we can but are there still huge crazy lineups? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I am freaking out a little about this.

Thanks

Bluejai

That actually is normal ship traffic for a Snnday. You are lucky you have that muxh time. You'll have no trouble making the flight. If you get off in the first group, you will be an observer to the stressed folks who booked an 11:00 flight. Put your patient hat on, take a deep breath and hurry to wait.:)

If I had that flight, I wouldn't hurry off the ship. I'd try to avoid the pushy, frantic folks.:D

Wow, great information from everyone. So my question now is - should we wait and get off a little later instead of getting off as early as we can? I thought getting off early was good, but maybe we should wait a bit? But then, won't the crowds just grow?

Why is there such a line up outside? Is it just to get into the terminal? Is it to get to the airline registration or to get through security?

Thanks for all your posts, I figure the more we know, the more we can be prepared for what we are going to face.

Bluejai

Do the luggage assist program if possible - you won't have to deal with checking in your luggage - just head through security - well worth the $$$.

That is a great idea. Unfortunately West Jet doesn't participate in the program. That would have been wonderful!

Thanks

Archived