Name Change (Early Saver Fare)

Avril

I'm sailing on the Imagination in December 2013 (back to my 1st ship, can't wait)!! :D I was going with my fiance but now he can't go so I'm going with one of my good friends instead. I booked the Early Saver fare which I've never done before so I'm not sure how it works exactly. Is it possible to change his name to hers on the reservation and how do I go about doing that? What else can or can't I do with the ES fare?

Thanks!! :D

I booked the Early Saver fare which I've never done before so I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Why would you book something without understanding the terms and conditions? :confused:

No name changes are permitted under ES.

What you *can* do for a $50/pp penalty is change your sailing date to one where he is able to go.

Above is exactly correct...ES is only good if you understand the terms fully, and most likely will not need to change. And with the new rate structure, I cannot really see a big advantage with ES anymore, especially if you are good at recognizing a good rate when you book.

OP.....

First off your cruise is a ways off as is the final payment.

Wait to cancel the person not able to go until close to final payment date.

By doing so the deposit less the $50 admin fee will be held for 2 years from date of cancellation. If you cancel the person now than they must use the future cruise credit within 2 years of NOW.

Continue making the payments that way when you cancel them and add the replacement you will not need an additional deposit.

You WILL however need to pay the taxes for replacement person as the taxes for person #1 will also be refunded<back onto the original form of payment>.

Thanks everyone!! :D It seems like I'm kinda screwed no matter what. :( Lesson learned, I'll never book ES again!!

One more question though. I've heard of this working with other cruise lines and was wondering if it would work with Carnival and ES. What if I book my friend in our cabin as a 3rd person (I think our cabin can take 3, it's a Grand Suite cabin number U88) and then we show up at the terminnal and have my fiance as a no show? Would they let us board without him and is it worth it money wise to do it this way? It just seems like the easiest thing to do!! :D

Thanks again!! :D

yikes- why would you do it like that and LOSE IT ALL and not just 50 bucks?

Booking your friend as a 3rd person-- then cancel your fiance

And do it *before* Final Payment Due Date or you will lose more than just the $50. Normal cancellation penalties will apply above and beyond the $50.

Just remember to tell your friend you book as #3, that when you cancel your fiance, they will become #2 and will be charged that rate. Carnival would be crazy to let you sail with 2 people in the cabin with 1 person at a reduced rate.

Gregg

I guess my question is, would they let 2 of us board ig he is not with us (aka a no show)? Also, does he still have to fill out the Fun Pass (boarding pass) or can we board without his bein complete?

yikes- why would you do it like that and LOSE IT ALL and not just 50 bucks?

Booking your friend as a 3rd person-- then cancel your fiance

Can we do that? I would but it just seemed easier for some reason to book her as the 3rd person and have him as a no show. I'd already be losing about $500 for both cruises (it's a B2B).

And do it *before* Final Payment Due Date or you will lose more than just the $50. Normal cancellation penalties will apply above and beyond the $50.

Too late, we were really stupid and paid the whole thing when we booked so we really are screwed. Not sure what to do now.

Ok, to be completely honest with you all, we broke up (stupid argument and definatly not worth all this agony). My friend and I want to go instead (even though my ex and I are still good friends). I need to know what to do and like I said, I'll never book ES again!!

If he/you are ok with losing all his money, as I said before, if your cabin holds 3, book your friend as a 3rd passenger. Your friend will be paying the 3rd person rate and if he's a no show, he/you, whoever paid for the cruise, will get the government fees returned.

As I said previously, it's up to you.

You say this a B2B, so if you cancel him before final payment DUE date, they will keep $100, hold $400 and refund the balance (assuming the deposit on each cruise was $250). If you paid for the deposits, you can send them proof and the $400 will be held in your name and not his. If you don't mind me asking, what was the total fare for him for both cruises??

Gregg

In addition, your cruise isn't until Dec. Things could change between you and your fiance between now and then. My DS and g/f have been off and on for 2 1/2 years now. They went on a cruise March 2012 and shortly thereafter broke up. They are now going on a cruise this March. So far so good, so don't do anything rash for awhile if you can.

Gregg

If the cabin holds 3, you can do what you suggested, but you are losing all his money instead of just the $50. It's up to you. ESA is really restrictive. Good luck!

If he/you are ok with losing all his money, as I said before, if your cabin holds 3, book your friend as a 3rd passenger. Your friend will be paying the 3rd person rate and if he's a no show, he/you, whoever paid for the cruise, will get the government fees returned.

As I said previously, it's up to you.

I'm starting to figure that out (that ES is really restrictive), haha!! It was a good price so I thought hey, why not, go for it! Never again.

He's fine with losing all his money (I paid for the cruise on my credit card and he paid me back for his half) so no worries there. I just wasn't sure if Carnival would let us board if there are 3 names on the reservation and only 2 people show up at the terminnal to check in. It sounds like they will so it's all good!! :D However, does he still have to fill out his Fun Pass (boarding pass) even if he's not coming on the cruise? I don't know if we have to have it totally complete for check in.

I' It sounds like they will so it's all good!! :D However, does he still have to fill out his Fun Pass (boarding pass) even if he's not coming on the cruise? I don't know if we have to have it totally complete for check in.

no, i just dont understand why you will not just cancel him- take the 50 loss and get the 200 towards your next vacation (since you paid for it)

no, i just dont understand why you will not just cancel him- take the 50 loss and get the 200 towards your next vacation (since you paid for it)

Can I do that without having to cancel the entire booking and/or without having to change our sail date? I didn't think you could do a name change with ES. And it's a B2B so I have to do it for both cruises. It just seems easyist to do it that way, that's all. :) And since we've already paid in full, I don't know if they would let us do the same things you can do before final payment.

Can I do that without having to cancel the entire booking and/or without having to change our sail date? I didn't think you could do a name change with ES. And it's a B2B so I have to do it for both cruises. It just seems easyist to do it that way, that's all. :) And since we've already paid in full, I don't know if they would let us do the same things you can do before final payment.

you are not doing a name change you are adding your friend as the 3rd person. then going to cancel the other person.

there is no real changes being made except adding a person and cancelling another.

Just because you are paid in full doenst mean anything. this cruise is NOT until dec 2013 so you are not in penalty there and will get back the remainder after they keep their ES penalty stuff.

Final payment is 70 days before the cruise-- not when you made the payment

you are not doing a name change you are adding your friend as the 3rd person. then going to cancel the other person.

there is no real changes being made except adding a person and cancelling another.

Just because you are paid in full doenst mean anything. this cruise is NOT until dec 2013 so you are not in penalty there and will get back the remainder after they keep their ES penalty stuff.

Final payment is 70 days before the cruise-- not when you made the payment

Ok, I get it now. Thanks Serene, you've been a lot of help!! :D I just wasn't sure if the rules for before final payment would still apply (getting part of your money back, etc) sine we've already paid in full. If I cancel before final payment, will the money I get back be re-funded to my credit card or will I get it as either a future cruise credit or OBC? Should I add my friend and cancel my ex-fiance at the same time or should I just add my friend now and do the cancellation later (or does it matter)? How do I go about doing this? Can I do it online? I'm so sorry for all the questions (I'm feeling like a real idiot) but like I said, I've never booked ES before so I'm not 100% sure how it all works!! :o

I'm soooo looking forward to sailing on my 1st ship again, can't wait!!!! :D :D

Ok, I get it now. Thanks Serene, you've been a lot of help!! :D I just wasn't sure if the rules for before final payment would still apply (getting part of your money back, etc) sine we've already paid in full. If I cancel before final payment, will the money I get back be re-funded to my credit card or will I get it as either a future cruise credit or OBC? Should I add my friend and cancel my ex-fiance at the same time or should I just add my friend now and do the cancellation later (or does it matter)? How do I go about doing this? Can I do it online? I'm so sorry for all the questions (I'm feeling like a real idiot) but like I said, I've never booked ES before so I'm not 100% sure how it all works!! :o

I'm soooo looking forward to sailing on my 1st ship again, can't wait!!!! :D :D

Review my post #'s 12 & 15. The money should be refunded to your credit card. (Except for the $100 penalty and the $400 held as a credit from the 2 deposits).

Gregg

Review my post #'s 12 & 15. The money should be refunded to your credit card. (Except for the $100 penalty and the $400 held as a credit from the 2 deposits).

Gregg

Thanks Gregg! :D I'm starting to get it (I think). Still not sure I understand though (and really feeling dumb now). :confused: :o The $100 penalty I understand completely but I thought (or got the impression that) if it's before when final payment would be due (if we hadn't paid in full), I get a refund for the cruise fare (minus the $100) on my credit card. Where's the $400 credit coming from? I guess I'll just call Carnival, explain the situation and see what they have to say.

Good thing people have patience with us who are new to ES (even if we aren't new to Carnival)!! :D

Final payment date is the date they give you to pay it off.

NOT the date you paid it. That payment was not due yet so you should get it back

add your friend first. that way she pays the 3rd person rate. wait a few days then cancel the other person. (im not sure if that will change your friends rate though.

when we did this for my moms cabin it did not change the rate

if you cancel the first name then add the person-- they will pay the whole amount of the second person

This tactic for using ES won't work now for the OP, but maybe others....

One way to work with the ES rate if there's any doubt as to who your ultimate travelling companion will be, is to book it as a single, then when you're CERTAIN who will be going with you, go ahead and add them to the booking. The only additional charge at that point would be the port fees and taxes for the second pax.

If worse comes to worst and no-one can accompany you, well heck...you still get a pretty inexpensive rate and you have the cabin all to yourself! :)

I did this on our most recent cruise on Liberty....I knew about the absolute no-name-change rule, and wasn't sure until a month before sailing whether my sister would be able to make it, but when she Paypal'd me the money, onto the booking she went!

Archived