belize cancel port for carnival lengend and glory

cary1306

Carnival only canceled the stops for the Glory until April and then again in December because there were 5 ships in port on Wednesdays and it complicated the tender process. The Legend will be in the Med from April until November. We are on the Legend on 1/27 and we are still going to Belize. I see that you are on her on 1/20 and you are still scheduled to go to Belize as well so I'm not sure why you are complaining unless you were contacted by Carnival and told that you aren't going to Belize anymore.

Here's what John Heald posted on behalf of Carnival over the situation:

"There has been a slight change to the dates regarding the change from Belize to Costa Maya for the Carnival Legend with only the following dates affected.

12/22/13 (1/06/2013 current sailing)

Carnival Glory's voyages where there is a change from Belize to Costa Maya are;

- 01/20/2013, 02/03/2013, 02/17/2013, 03/03/2013, 03/17/2013, 03/31/2013, 12/08/2013 & 12/22/2013

Here is the letter all guests will be receiving

Much to our regret, we are forced to cancel our call into Belize due to port congestion. Although we have a confirmed berth in Belize, local officials accepted calls for additional ships. Consequently, their tender capacity is not able to effectively handle the increased volume of guests without creating long delays and limiting your time ashore.

Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to come to an acceptable agreement with Belize Port Authority regarding this situation. Therefore, in order to provide you a better port experience, we have replaced our call to Belize with a visit Costa Maya. We’ve also added an additional hour in the beautiful port of Cozumel for your enjoyment."

Thank you for the very informative reply. We will be there in April on RC , and are the only ship that day, so we should have smooth sailing..

Carnival only canceled the stops for the Glory until April and then again in December because there were 5 ships in port on Wednesdays and it complicated the tender process. The Legend will be in the Med from April until November. We are on the Legend on 1/27 and we are still going to Belize. I see that you are on her on 1/20 and you are still scheduled to go to Belize as well so I'm not sure why you are complaining unless you were contacted by Carnival and told that you aren't going to Belize anymore.

Here's what John Heald posted on behalf of Carnival over the situation:

"There has been a slight change to the dates regarding the change from Belize to Costa Maya for the Carnival Legend with only the following dates affected.

12/22/13 (1/06/2013 current sailing)

Carnival Glory's voyages where there is a change from Belize to Costa Maya are;

- 01/20/2013, 02/03/2013, 02/17/2013, 03/03/2013, 03/17/2013, 03/31/2013, 12/08/2013 & 12/22/2013

Here is the letter all guests will be receiving

Much to our regret, we are forced to cancel our call into Belize due to port congestion. Although we have a confirmed berth in Belize, local officials accepted calls for additional ships. Consequently, their tender capacity is not able to effectively handle the increased volume of guests without creating long delays and limiting your time ashore.

Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to come to an acceptable agreement with Belize Port Authority regarding this situation. Therefore, in order to provide you a better port experience, we have replaced our call to Belize with a visit Costa Maya. We’ve also added an additional hour in the beautiful port of Cozumel for your enjoyment."

There has apparnetly been some gang violence in Belize. I asked our PVP about it, as we will ge on Magic Jan. 20. This was his response:

Carnival has made no changes to our itineraries at this time.

Our cruises are sailing as scheduled.

Should there be any changes to our itineraries, we will advise our affected passengers as soon as possible.

This is the response from Mark @ Coral Breeze tours as far as cancellations of Belize.

I wouldn't be too concerned. So far this season the Carnival Glory has cancelled a few stops (probably because they got a better deal in Costa Maya), but there's been no problem with RCCL and NCL ships..

Best,

Mark

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/belize/231771/PDFs/Security%20Message%20January%202013.pdf

This advisory is on the State Government's website regarding travel into Belize. Also, US military personnel have been restricted from not going into Belize.

Where did you find that US military personnel were restricted? The link only "advised" US government personnel against traveling to Belize

Here's the latest:

This Security Message rescinds the security message of Tuesday, January 8, 2013, regarding travel to Belize City. Police and defense forces continue to maintain an increased presence in parts of the city. While there remains no specific threat against U.S. citizens, travelers and residents should be aware of the information on Belize found at http://travel.state.gov . No areas are closed to travel, but visitors should exercise caution, particularly in southern Belize City and remote areas along Belize’s borders.

That is the situation in Grand Cayman right now, not Belize.

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2013/01/07/Cruise-tourism-Carnival--threatens-pullout/

I will say it one more time. The problem with Belize was that there were too many ships scheduled to be there at the same time. Carnival changed the itinerary for the Glory. The situation has been resolved. No other changes will be made unless another problem arises in Belize.

Any place can be dangerous if you leave your brain on the ship... and as previously noted, the reason for cancellations are not due to violence, but due to the number of ships in port at the same time - thus making the tendering situation quite congested. Is this related to last years dispute on tender fees - and are they (the tender/Port Authority folks) trying to make up lost revenue by adding more ships in Port at the same time? Who knows......

I would much rather go to Belize than Costa Maya and be accosted by the very agressive vendors in the Cruise Village.

You are quite safe in the village where the tenders drop you off, if you are doing excursions you should have no issues either. Go, have a good time!

Laurie

The Cruisin Camper

Also where this violence is happening would be almost impossible for a cruise visitor to find, let alone stumble on to. People who are inherently afraid of everything or have another agenda tend to be ones who read articles such as this and then post. It is a very sad day for Belizeans and something that we need to work on but really has nothing to do with cruisers into our beautiful country. At least some cruisers can see the hidden agenda when the captain broadcasts that it is NOT SAFE for cruisers to take private excursions in Belize, but it is SAFE for cruisers to go on a ship-sponsored excursion to the same area.

Belize is not for everyone and at the same time, we also wish that some cruisers would skip our country or stay on the ship. But for those who see our jewel and appreciate it, we are happy to share and they are happen to have ventured out.

The Crown Princess passengers who were scheduled to go on a Train Tour of the city of Belize received notes under their doors that the excursion had been cancelled due to gang violence on last weeks stop in Belize. Other excursions were still in progress for cave tubing and snorkling.

• 3 weeks later...
Also where this violence is happening would be almost impossible for a cruise visitor to find, let alone stumble on to. People who are inherently afraid of everything or have another agenda tend to be ones who read articles such as this and then post. It is a very sad day for Belizeans and something that we need to work on but really has nothing to do with cruisers into our beautiful country. At least some cruisers can see the hidden agenda when the captain broadcasts that it is NOT SAFE for cruisers to take private excursions in Belize, but it is SAFE for cruisers to go on a ship-sponsored excursion to the same area.

Belize is not for everyone and at the same time, we also wish that some cruisers would skip our country or stay on the ship. But for those who see our jewel and appreciate it, we are happy to share and they are happen to have ventured out.

I will be in Belize on Ash Wednesday 2/13 and plan to take a taxi to Holy Redeemer Cathedral for Mass. Are there taxis readily available at the Tourist Village? Any idea what they would charge? And if I could reasonably expect the taxi to return for me after Mass? I will be on my own.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I will be in Belize on Ash Wednesday 2/13 and plan to take a taxi to Holy Redeemer Cathedral for Mass. Are there taxis readily available at the Tourist Village? Any idea what they would charge? And if I could reasonably expect the taxi to return for me after Mass? I will be on my own.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Taxis are readily available at the Tourism Village. But if it's the athederal I'm recalling that has a school attached, it's only about 3-5 blocks(8-10 minutes) from the TV just past the "Swing Bridge" on Front Street. I'm not sure if taxis will want to take you that short of distance.

Directions would be: turn left out of TV on Fort Street. Walk to intersection of fort and Front Street (1 block?) Hook a slight left onto Front Street go past Post Office and continue past queen Street (you'll see the swing bridgeon dow Queen Street on your left) and the church should be in the next block or two on your right.

Taxis are readily available at the Tourism Village. But if it's the athederal I'm recalling that has a school attached, it's only about 3-5 blocks(8-10 minutes) from the TV just past the "Swing Bridge" on Front Street. I'm not sure if taxis will want to take you that short of distance.

Directions would be: turn left out of TV on Fort Street. Walk to intersection of fort and Front Street (1 block?) Hook a slight left onto Front Street go past Post Office and continue past queen Street (you'll see the swing bridgeon dow Queen Street on your left) and the church should be in the next block or two on your right.

Thank you, Crewsweeper! I guess I'm hesitant about walking on my own, even just a few blocks, with all the cautions about venturing outside the Tourism Village. I also checked the map and it appears there are many one-way streets which would require about a 1 1/2 mile drive to the Cathedral. But I'm game, and if I can't get a taxi, I'll give it a go on foot!

I just spoke with a Belize City taxi driver. He said the cost from Tourist Village to church should be 5-7.50 US for one person. I don't cruise here or take the water taxis to Ambergris Caye so I am not that familiar with the proximity of these to the TV, but "That church is about 150yards from san pedro belize express and about 50yards from caye caulker water taxi." He also said that it was a very safe area and you should be able to get a taxi outside church if need be.

I just spoke with a Belize City taxi driver. He said the cost from Tourist Village to church should be 5-7.50 US for one person. I don't cruise here or take the water taxis to Ambergris Caye so I am not that familiar with the proximity of these to the TV, but "That church is about 150yards from san pedro belize express and about 50yards from caye caulker water taxi." He also said that it was a very safe area and you should be able to get a taxi outside church if need be.

Thank you so very much! I'm looking forward to being in Belize!

Archived