Hawaii or Sydnes for additional stay over ?

Michidoeme

As we have a limited number of holidays, where should we foresee more time (5 days versus 2) pre/post cruise in Hawaii or in Sydney ?

We have never been in Hawaii nor in Australia, and are not sure where it is most interesting/fun ?

Thanks for advice

I tend to make that sort of decision based on where I will start cruising and how long the travel is before the cruise (and/or time differences).

So in my case I would normally spend extra time in the place I am boarding ship to allow for both sightseeing and my body clock to acclimatise. That way I will enjoy the cruise from day 1.

HTH.

We are starting in Honolulu and would arrive in any case at least 2 days earlier.

Are convinced there is beautiful scenery and beaches to warrant longer stay there, but we will also see some beaches on our trip thru Parific.

Being from Europe we have been in USA (though not Hawaii), we have never been in Australia and wonder if around Sydney there is enough to see/do to justify staying 5 days (only other option is only 2 days because of flight award availability), as the known attractions (Barrier Reef, Ayers, etc.) are too far to do from Sydney during that time.

Without knowing what your interests are/what you find fun and so on it's pretty well impossible to offer any other advice, apart from (in line with what I posted earlier) as you seem to be flying into Hawaii from Europe spend the extra time there, and use your 2 day turn around time in Sydney to see the main city sights before the long haul home.

I think Sydne has more big city culture and more to offer for touring outside the city. But that may be closer to your European experience. Hawaii has Polyneisan culture experience.

Ignoring extra cost, you can pretty much experience the best of Oahu in two days. That includes visiting North Beach beaches, and a Luau. That doesn't include Pearl Harbor which is most of a day and very impressive. I'm not sure how much Europeans will enjoy that part of US Hstory. Also if you are willing to take a short flight for a day trip, you can get volcano tours on the big island that is well worth the trip.

Burt

We are starting in Honolulu and would arrive in any case at least 2 days earlier.

Are convinced there is beautiful scenery and beaches to warrant longer stay there, but we will also see some beaches on our trip thru Parific.

Being from Europe we have been in USA (though not Hawaii), we have never been in Australia and wonder if around Sydney there is enough to see/do to justify staying 5 days (only other option is only 2 days because of flight award availability), as the known attractions (Barrier Reef, Ayers, etc.) are too far to do from Sydney during that time.

I've lived in Sydney for over 50 years and always found there is plenty to do here :D but seriously...you will see plenty of tropical islands on your cruise, do yourself a favour and explore further afield than Sydney city. I'd recommend hiring a car (if you are up for driving on the left side of the road) and getting out of Sydney, if you go south you will find some of the world's best secret beaches within a few hours and unless its school holidays they will be all yours! Kangaroos hopping around the car park, amazing brightly coloured parrots sitting there right in front of you...

If you go north you will find not only gorgeous beaches, some of the best wineries anywhere and world heritage listed rainforest wilderness areas, drive as far as Brisbane and you can catch a cheap flight back to Sydney.

Promise you won't be sorry!

Edited to say...if you really wanted to see Ayers Rock (Uluru) or the Great Barrier Reef you could easily grab a flight or package and be back in Sydney within your five days. We quite often see 3 night packages to Uluru advertised at a reasonable price and the 2 full days there would give you a good look around.

Having been to both, I would say Sydney. I love Hawaii but O'hau isn't my favorite island. Spend a day seeing Pearl Harbor and enjoy the beach. 2 days is enough for Honolulu in my opinion. Sydney is a fabulous city with tons of things to do. You will have no problems filling 5 days. The general attractions can take you a day or two. The zoo is excellent and worth a day. You can take a 2 hr bus ride to the blue mountains and spend a day or two there. There are great restaurants, good shopping. The water ferries are fun and you can take one to Bondi beach. As the prior poster suggested you could also do a side trip. I sort of liked Ayers Rock but my husband absolutely things is the worse thing we have ever done on any vacation! If I were doing a side trip I would try to fly to Cannes and back. Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef was one of the best things I have ever done and the rainforest just North of Cannes was truly phenomenal.

We live in Alaska and since Hawaii is only a five hour flight from Anchorage we have done a number of land trips and one cruise to Hawaii. While we always enjoy Hawaii a number of areas can be so commercial (ie Oahu). Perhaps we have been there too many times.

We were on the Century in November, 2011 on a Honolulu to Sydney cruise. We spent seven days in Sydney before returning to Honolulu for a few more days, and had no problems filling time in the land of Oz. I would opt for more time in Australia over time in Hawaii.

oK I live here Honolulu is not Hawaii, nor is the island of Oahu ( recently voted as the worst traffic next to San Francisco and Seattle and just behind Los Angles. Oahu is a huge high rise city with Pearl Harbour and history ;)

The outter Islands like Hawaii and Kauai are where the beauty of the tropis is. Maui is a jr LA and so commercial its funny (we say Maui is the Hawaiina word for cOMMERCIAL):o

Now, you can get a flight through Kona and on to Australia and avoid Oahu totaly.... a thought

:rolleyes:

Breaking the flight in Hawaii will give you a 5 and a 10 hour flight and can be done in coach barely

Going non stop to Sydney from LAX or SFO is 15 hours that you need to be in business class to survive... trust me on this If you fly coach you will be a basket case for 2 days after you arrive

From frequent experience Sydney is good for about 4 days. Stay at the Marriott by the Quay, Get a 4 day ferry pass good onn all ferrys and busses and the Quay is only 3 blocks from the Marriott and the ship pier..

with the pass you can explore the huge harbor in all directions.

I would NOT leave Sydney and o to the outlying areas as the roads are terrible and the sights few outside of town. Stay in town... Katoomba and the Blue Mts are way too far for way too little. The Reef is an entire 5 to 6 day trip in its self. Ayres rock..... well its a rock with nothing around it to do but meditate.

Funny how foreigners don't "get" Ayers Rock, but I think its a flying in/bussing around thing. Try driving there through the desert and seeing it for the first time rising out of the desert. Its amazing. And driving yourself around the rock, stopping off where there are no other people around, truly incredible, its a very spiritual place. Our favourite though is Kata Tjuta, used to be called the Olgas, its about 40 km across the desert from Uluru...looks like a pile of mini Ayers Rocks, and has some amazing walks.

I can understand how arriving by plane and getting around in a busload of others just wouldn't cut it.

Hawaiidan, next time you are coming to Sydney let me know...if you couldn't find any sights out of town its because us locals don't like to share them! Within 4 hours drive of Sydney I can put you on some of the best beaches in the world...surrounded by stunning rainforest...and I will throw in th obligatory kangaroos hopping by!

I agree 5 days isnt enough time to see everything in Sydney, you really don't need to go further to occupy yourselves.

And that LAX to SYD flight is beyond a nightmare!

Archived