Spa services - manicures

calvin81

The search feature isn't working right now so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Does the spa offer shellac/no chip manicures? Oceania's web site wasn't clear on this either. They mention gels, but a no chip manicure isn't the same thing.

Edited by calvin81

The search feature isn't working right now so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Does the spa offer shellac/no chip manicures? Oceania's web site wasn't clear on this either. They mention gels, but a no chip manicure isn't the same thing.

I wasn't thrilled with the manicures I've gotten on both Nautica and on Marina. While the nail preparation and application was perfectly fine, and the hygiene of the tools was excellent, neither ship was equipped with a machine to speed the drying process. Since two coats of nail polish and a sealer coat take 2 1/2 hours to be fully dry, although the top coat may long have felt dry to the touch, I messed up both manicures. Essentially, I wasted my money. I didn't bother going back to the spa for a re-do on the messed up nails since the problem would only repeat itself.

A Google search tells me that the small portable drying machines like the kind used in my regular salon coast in the vicinity of $50. I simply cannot imagine why the spa doesn't have this inexpensive but essential piece of equipment.

As for your specific question, shouldn't all manicures be no-chip manicures? What's unique about the type of manicure you're looking for?

I wasn't thrilled with the manicures I've gotten on both Nautica and on Marina. While the nail preparation and application was perfectly fine, and the hygiene of the tools was excellent, neither ship was equipped with a machine to speed the drying process. Since two coats of nail polish and a sealer coat take 2 1/2 hours to be fully dry, although the top coat may long have felt dry to the touch, I messed up both manicures. Essentially, I wasted my money. I didn't bother going back to the spa for a re-do on the messed up nails since the problem would only repeat itself.

A Google search tells me that the small portable drying machines like the kind used in my regular salon coast in the vicinity of $50. I simply cannot imagine why the spa doesn't have this inexpensive but essential piece of equipment.

As for your specific question, shouldn't all manicures be no-chip manicures? What's unique about the type of manicure you're looking for?

• Shellac No Chip Nails

Shellac is a cross between nail polish and gel. Shellac is applied like regular nail polish and then cured using a UV lamp.

Shellac lasts much longer than your regular manicure; up to 14 days without chipping or peeling. Dry time is instant, making the application process fast and ensuring your polish doesn’t smudge.

I had a manicure on our first cruise and wasn't thrilled -- she didn't do a great job filing, there wasn't much of a hand massage and of course it was quite expensive. But we are extending our trip both before and after our cruise so I need more than a regular manicure. If I get a shellac before leaving I would need to have it soaked off onboard -- or on shore, but I hardly want to spend precious time in port looking for a nail salon. I think I'll try calling or emailing Oceania this week and then decide if I should look for polish remover pads to take along to do my own nails. If I can't get a 2 week no chip manicure I don't know that I'd bother in the spa. This may sound silly to worry about, but without polish my nails are prone to breakage.

I had a manicure on our first cruise and wasn't thrilled -- she didn't do a great job filing, there wasn't much of a hand massage and of course it was quite expensive. But we are extending our trip both before and after our cruise so I need more than a regular manicure. If I get a shellac before leaving I would need to have it soaked off onboard -- or on shore, but I hardly want to spend precious time in port looking for a nail salon. I think I'll try calling or emailing Oceania this week and then decide if I should look for polish remover pads to take along to do my own nails. If I can't get a 2 week no chip manicure I don't know that I'd bother in the spa. This may sound silly to worry about, but without polish my nails are prone to breakage.

Do your own! I've been less than satisfied with manicures in the spa. I have

not however had the shellac ones.

Called Canyon Ranch. They say they do have Shellac manicures on the ship. Pricey, but since I am a recent convert I will indulge when I need one. They really do last as advertised.

Edited by msn123

I get Shellac manis regularly (have one now)...it lasts much longer than regular DIY manicures. Including pre and post cruise, I am often away for 3weeks at a time & a regular mani does not last. IMO the Shellac or any product similar is worth it. Get it done before you leave & you should be okay.

Thanks for calling Canyon Ranch! I pay $30 here for a Shellac -- may I ask what price they quoted? My nails grow fairly fast, so even though the shellac would hold up fine as far as chipping, you would see outgrowth by the end of 3 weeks. We did get onboard $ from the TA :), so perhaps I will spend some on my nails. Although I haven't seen a recent price list for wine, so it may not cover both :D.

I, too, have nails that are fragile without polish. I got a shellac manicure before departure and took along the foil and acetone remover as well as regular polish. When I could no longer tolerate my aging polish I redid it myself.

I had planned to get it done on board if available, but couldn't bring myself to pay the price they wanted. As we were away for 5.5 weeks, an intervention was definitely required. I was prepared to pay more, but more than 4X was too much for me!

Mo

I expected it to be high, but $106 is absolutely absurd!! I've never seen it over $50 here in the Chicago suburbs. I will make do on my own before I pay such a ridiculous price. Reminds me of the pricing for shore excursions compared to what you can find for your own private tours.

Let's remember that Canyon Ranch offers a standard manicure i.e file and polish as well as nail repair or Polish changes for a very reasonable $28.

ClutchPearls.jpg

If the Shellac treatment on the ship is too dear for your liking, there ARE alternatives. :rolleyes:

Agree there are alternatives. But as far as time and energy, a shellac manicure is maybe 20 minutes longer than a regular manicure because it includes a longer time to remove the polish. It is not really any more effort. Double the price of a regular manicure would be reasonable....approaching 4 times the cost is nutty!

• 4 years later...
I had a shellac manicure removed aboard Marina as it had grown out, and removal was $80!!! I nearly passed out from shock.

Never again.

I had a shellac manicure on Rivera in April. It was the worst and most expensive I have ever had. The shellac began peeling within 48 hours and I was already off the ship so could't do anything about it.

I've had two shellac manicures (one on Insignia and one on Riviera) and both were bad. With the first one, I didn't notice that the shellac coat didn't cover all the base (color) coat and had big bumps until I got back to our cabin. The second one wasn't much better. I don't do shellac manicures anymore because they are very harmful to your nail bed, plus I have good luck with the Essie no UV gel top coat and bring them with me to touch up.