Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

The January / February 2013 edition of Cruise Travel has ten rules for being unsnobish on a cruise:

1) Honor the dress code.

2) Don't reserve seats in the theater for people who have not shown up yet.

3) Don't be a deck chair hog.

4) Treat the crew members like you would want to be treated.

5) Don't let your kids run wild.

6) Don't hog the gym equipment.

7) Obey the smoking rules.

8) Be on time.

9) Don't litter the ocean (don't throw anything overboard).

10) Don't cut in line.

Can't we do at least five out of the ten ???:p A baseball player batting 500 is doing darn good !

"If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob."

Please do not judge everyone by what they wear! I love to wear my jewellery...at all times when appropriate and not just on a cruise! Some has been passed down and some is from my very kind and loving DH. If I happen to wear a Rolex and tennis bracelet, it is not to impress. I wear it every day....and I am NOT A SNOB! Just be careful how one might judge. A little money does not make a snob!

"If you have to make sure everyone sees your jewelry/watch, you just might be a snob."

I use my late mothers Judith Leiber bag on formal nights... Its in the shape of a bull dog, it only comes out for formal night on cruises.... I hope it doesnt make me a snob.. I did receive several compliments on our last cruise

Oh lucky you! I have always wanted a Judith Leiber bag. In fact, that's on my bucket list. Nothing snobby about it!

Hmm, of that 1 to 10 the only one I think shows anti snob behaviour is number 4 I think it was, about the treatment of staff. The rest are anti boorish behaviours. You could obey all those rules except for 4 and still be a snob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, of that 1 to 10 the only one I think shows anti snob behaviour is number 4 I think it was, about the treatment of staff. The rest are anti boorish behaviours. You could obey all those rules except for 4 and still be a snob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see where you are coming from and for the most part agree. Snobbishness is about how you treat others. Everyone deserves respect and to be treated kindly. Whatsoever we do to the least of our brothers.............

The one rule I don't really understand, however is #8:

8) Be on time.

Be on time for what? For me the best part about a cruise vacation is that you don't have to be anywhere or do anything (except for the initial muster) that doesn't suit your fancy. One of my most delicious cruise experiences was coming back from a port, falling asleep at 4:00 p.m. and sleeping straight through until the next morning. I needed that.

Of course, you will make life a lot easier on yourself if you manage to get back to the ship before it leaves a port. :p I guess that would be an important event that would require you to be on time.

I see where you are coming from and for the most part agree. Snobbishness is about how you treat others. Everyone deserves respect and to be treated kindly. Whatsoever we do to the least of our brothers.............

8) Be on time.

Be on time for what? For me the best part about a cruise vacation is that you don't have to be anywhere or do anything (except for the initial muster) that doesn't suit your fancy. One of my most delicious cruise experiences was coming back from a port, falling asleep at 4:00 p.m. and sleeping straight through until the next morning. I needed that.

Of course, you will make life a lot easier on yourself if you manage to get back to the ship before it leaves a port. :p I guess that would be an important event that would require you to be on time.

Be on time for dinner in the MDR so you don't inconvenience the waiters, be on time for your shore excursion . . .if you come into the theater after the show starts, do so in a way that won't disturb the people watching the show. . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

To heck with it - I am DRAWING a "Like" button on my (yes, Tapatalk-equipped) smartphone, under that there post, and Pushing it for all I'm worth!

Rick

I agree!

Sent from my farm, on a homebuilt, lashed together, desktop computer, over a DSL connection, tied to a barbwire fence, using a 300 baud modem via http protocol.:D

Can someone please tell us how to turn off the "tapatalk" signature? :confused:

Assuming it's the original "Tapatalk 1"...

1. Keep hitting the "Back" button until it no longer says "Back" (looks like tiles or something)
  2. Hit the "Settings" button at the bottom of the screen
  3. Scroll down to Editor section > Signature and turn it off there!

Tapatalk 2 does not support sig editing yet - not the iOS version anyway.

Now, can someone tell us why Tapatalk 2 on the iPhone crashes from going to the Princess Cruises (and several other) forums on Cruise Critic? :confused: Just kidding, I have sent Crash Reports and am sure it will be fixed.

Back To The Fun Stories!!

Rick

Assuming it's the original "Tapatalk 1"...
  1. Keep hitting the "Back" button until it no longer says "Back" (looks like tiles or something)
  2. Hit the "Settings" button at the bottom of the screen
  3. Scroll down to Editor section > Signature and turn it off there!

Tapatalk 2 does not support sig editing yet - not the iOS version anyway.

Now, can someone tell us why Tapatalk 2 on the iPhone crashes from going to the Princess Cruises (and several other) forums on Cruise Critic? :confused: Just kidding, I have sent Crash Reports and am sure it will be fixed.

Back To The Fun Stories!!

Rick

Thanks Rick! turns out mine was already in the off position... I appreciate your help.

Be on time for dinner in the MDR so you don't inconvenience the waiters, be on time for your shore excursion . . .if you come into the theater after the show starts, do so in a way that won't disturb the people watching the show. . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Ah. We prefer anytime dining so we aren't bound to a specific schedule and so far have never taken a pre-planned shore excursions.

We will occasionally catch a show, but we generally just finish dinner and then go dancing.

It is important to get to stretch classes, Zumba and dance classes early if you want to get a spot. Other than that, the best thing about a vacation is being schedule-free. :)

8) Be on time.

If you are participating in the traditional dining at a set time, then be on time to the table. If you are participating in an excursion, be on time to the start of the excursion and be on time after every stop.

Nobody expects you to be on time to the pool, expect perhaps your spouse.

I think that this thread is just to encourage everyone to be considerate of your fellow passengers ( and others in general), if it be at dinner and dressing accordingly, attending a scheduled event (theatre, trip, embarkation, etc.) punctually and basically treating others as you would wish to be treated.

If someone talks down to you then I feel one has the right of redress and the offender should be told quietly, in no uncertain terms why they should 'go forth and multiply', it is your duty so they will learn the ways of the civilised world.

Snobbery is a form of bullying, easily rectified, one just has to stand up for oneself and the bully/ snob will quickly get the picture and bugger off!

Good manners and etiquette are things that are becoming short in supply. Unfortunately 'Common courtesy' not as common as one might think.

I think that this thread is just to encourage everyone to be considerate of your fellow passengers ( and others in general), if it be at dinner and dressing accordingly, attending a scheduled event (theatre, trip, embarkation, etc.) punctually and basically treating others as you would wish to be treated.

If someone talks down to you then I feel one has the right of redress and the offender should be told quietly, in no uncertain terms why they should 'go forth and multiply', it is your duty so they will learn the ways of the civilised world.

Snobbery is a form of bullying, easily rectified, one just has to stand up for oneself and the bully/ snob will quickly get the picture and bugger off!

Good manners and etiquette are things that are becoming short in supply. Unfortunately 'Common courtesy' not as common as one might think.

Very well stated and Precisely the point!:)

We all pay to cruise to have a good vacation. No one else cares about anyones status or previous cruises. Just enjoy the people aboard with you.

Please do not judge everyone by what they wear! I love to wear my jewellery...at all times when appropriate and not just on a cruise! Some has been passed down and some is from my very kind and loving DH. If I happen to wear a Rolex and tennis bracelet, it is not to impress. I wear it every day....and I am NOT A SNOB! Just be careful how one might judge. A little money does not make a snob!

You may want to reread what I wrote - Do you "HAVE TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE SEES" your Rolex? Probably not. Snobs make sure everyone sees it. That's what I wrote and meant and is a big difference.

To a lot of people, all of us are snobs simply because we can go on cruises.

Not a cruise snob story, but it could be...

Mom and I were on a tour in an historic Pennsylvania General Store that had a jail in the basement. There were two people just behind us as we checked out the cell who (with an audible sniff) said, "Well, it's not the Tower of London." Well, I guess we all found out that they are world travelers, didn't we? :rolleyes:

We had a tablemate who made sure he wanted to be referred to as "Doctor", and corrected anyone who didn't. Even though it wouldn't have changed my opinion of him, he wasn't a medical doctor, but probably had a Ph.D. in basket weaving. We never called him "Doctor". Glad it was only one night.

OK, here's another one but I am not sure it was a snob ot not. Once on a Princess ship, me and my father was sitting in atrium. There were only several other passengers there and it was a quiet afternoon (it's a Princess ship, right?). All of sudden, we heard a female's voice, loud and clear. We all thought it was an announcement from the ship. But turned out it was a lady talking on her cell phone. We were not that close to her, but we could hear every single words she spoke. It was a young lady, good looking, good shape, good dressing. So I watched her for awhile :)

Archived