Do we know what "house wines" means?

39august

So, has anyone yet found out what "house wines" means with the drinks package? Surely this is not just Le Terre! I asked when on Mariner last month and the bartender didn't seem to know. Another bartender said it referred to wines from another winery, but he wasn't sure of the name of that winery.

So, has anyone yet found out what "house wines" means with the drinks package? Surely this is not just Le Terre! I asked when on Mariner last month and the bartender didn't seem to know. Another bartender said it referred to wines from another winery, but he wasn't sure of the name of that winery.

Same with us last month on Indy. They were offering the drink package, but no one could tell us which wine it included. Maybe it's just me, but I don't take that as a positive sign. What is so difficult about specifying a max dollar amount per glass, like Celebrity?

I believe that the house wine is La Terre. That would be a pretty strong incentive to move up to the premium package. I couldn't imagine a whole week of La Terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly, but I didn't think there was a wine difference between the packages. I'll have to go back and check now.

Bob, I believe you are correct. I think both packages cover "house wines". How the heck can RCI offer a drinks package when the bartenders don't know what wines are included?! I so wish they would do the X thing with wines up to a certain price by glass.

Any wine that comes in a box.:eek:

I believe that the house wine is La Terre. That would be a pretty strong incentive to move up to the premium package. I couldn't imagine a whole week of La Terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly, but I didn't think there was a wine difference between the packages. I'll have to go back and check now.

The flyer I have has the same exact wording regarding wine for both packages: "House wines by the glass".

It will be whatever best bulk deal they could get from a winery, and similar to the "cleanskin" bottles of wines we have purchased from Aldi in Australia, sometimes that might actually be a very nice drop. Sometimes not. Whatever the bartender tells you in all good faith, may not be what they have stocked up with recently. On our trip on Rhapsody when it was the only RCI ship sailing Australia there was no Aussie wines to be seen on the wine list, and now people talk about the Aussie wines package you can get. RCI will have contracts for certain periods of time, and retender for all the basic provisions.

If you know what you like to drink, I would think twice about commiting to a not very cheap drinks package - just my opinion.

It will be whatever best bulk deal they could get from a winery, and similar to the "cleanskin" bottles of wines we have purchased from Aldi in Australia, sometimes that might actually be a very nice drop. Sometimes not. Whatever the bartender tells you in all good faith, may not be what they have stocked up with recently. On our trip on Rhapsody when it was the only RCI ship sailing Australia there was no Aussie wines to be seen on the wine list, and now people talk about the Aussie wines package you can get. RCI will have contracts for certain periods of time, and retender for all the basic provisions.

If you know what you like to drink, I would think twice about commiting to a not very cheap drinks package - just my opinion.

Which is exactly what one of the wine stewards told us on a recent cruise.

I can think of several boxed wines I'd prefer to LaTerre. And many I would not. times were that all boxed wine was really bad...times change.

I AGREE!

The same could be said for some excellent wines that have the new screw cap instead of a cork.

(by the way the bottles of La Terre I've seen have all had corks)

I'm guessing part of the reason Royal only includes "House Wines" in the packages is a staffing issue. They don't have a dedicated sommelier assigned to tables like Celebrity does.

I've never understood the use of the term "house wines" on either sea or land. I think what the ships do is somewhat similar to the Wheel of Fortune. Take all of their wine bottles, put them on a wheel, spin and whatever comes up... BAM! There's your house wine!

I think "house wines" will cover whatever they can get cheapest at the time and their answer will not get any more definitive than that.

I have seen La Terre in the lounges now for ~7 years. Why should they change unless they run out of it and can sub in another cheap wine for a few weeks til they replenish their stock?

I think some of us have been drinking too much :eek:

:confused:Because I have sampled boxed wines over the years, you presume I have been drinking too much? thank you for the concern, but it is misplaced. I do not quickly drink a box alone. Would you please try to be less judgemental:eek:?

Was on Navigator in Nov. and House wine and wine in Diamond lounge and Conceirge lounge was an Italian plonk. All I can say was maybe La Terra was not so bad after all!!!!!

I agree...I miss Le Terre now, it's better than the St. Martin they've put on in the Caribbean.

Hi, Linda. MOS didn't have new menus in Dec. I saw a schedule someone posted a few menoths back that showed MOS new menus on Feb. 17. I hope so as we sail her again March 3. I loved the new menus on Oasis last Sept.

Hi all,

I just got off the Navigator of the Seas from New Orleans and figured I'd join and post. They offer "house" wines that are pretty good. They have a Cabernet, Merlot, Cardonnay and a Zinfindel. I think it is whatever "brand" they have an abudance of and is cheap. The Chard wasn't very good, in my opinion. My other half thought it was great, but I only had one glass of it. Now the Zin was excellent, in my opinion. I bought the Premium Package, and it was nice to change up the wines with the app and the dinner and then the dessert. Whether it was one kind or three, the PP was the way to go, for sure!

~Heather

Archived