Excursions... Is there a way to know...?

2txgirls

We are booked on a 4-night cruise to Cozumel next summer. My husband's main reason for wanting to go to Coz is to tour Mayan Ruins (kind of a history guy). We were disappointed to learn, after we booked, that we wouldn't be in port long enough to do a tour of one of the bigger sets of ruins (Tulum, etc). We are booked for a San Gervasio/ beach tour instead, which I understand is closer to the port and therefor takes less time.

My question is this: If we decide to cruise again next Summer, how do we know that we'll be able to book a longer ruins tour? Maybe we should just do an all-inclusive trip to Cozumel instead of the cruise to make sure...? Or is there a way to know? Do you normally have more time in a port if you're on a longer cruise (is the time there shorter since we're only on a 4-night)?

Thank you all for your help... Don't know WHERE I'd be without this board :)

We are booked on a 4-night cruise to Cozumel next summer. My husband's main reason for wanting to go to Coz is to tour Mayan Ruins (kind of a history guy). We were disappointed to learn, after we booked, that we wouldn't be in port long enough to do a tour of one of the bigger sets of ruins (Tulum, etc). We are booked for a San Gervasio/ beach tour instead, which I understand is closer to the port and therefor takes less time.

My question is this: If we decide to cruise again next Summer, how do we know that we'll be able to book a longer ruins tour? Maybe we should just do an all-inclusive trip to Cozumel instead of the cruise to make sure...? Or is there a way to know? Do you normally have more time in a port if you're on a longer cruise (is the time there shorter since we're only on a 4-night)?

Probably the best way to know how long you'll be at a particular port is to look at the itinerary for the cruise you're considering. The itinerary will show you the arrival and departure times for each port of call. Keep in mind that ports of call and length of visit are subject to change (or cancellation), especially if weather is a factor.

What's your time in port? Normally you can book a ship sponsored tour to Tulum on these 4 nighters, even on the ones with more limited time.

San Gervasio is not worth the time IMHO. Very small ruins with really not much to see. Not much left standing.

If your husband is a history buff and the main reason to go to Mexico is to see ruins, a cruise is definitely not the way to go. If you take a land vacation, you could visit the better Mayan ruin sites, like Chichen Itza, Tulum, Uxmal, and Chachobben.

Thank you both! The main reason for this cruise is a family gathering-- not really for DH. LOL! The Tulum tour is not offered in the list of available excursions for our cruise. I think we are only in port from 9:00-3:00, and I read somewhere that the Tulum excursion takes 7 full hours normally. I'm thinking next summer we may opt for an AI so he can get the full "ruins experience". Thank you both again!

We took a RCCL cruise last fall. It offered a tour to the big Tulum ruins which a large group of folks signed up for.

The ferry was 30+ minutes late (after sailing time) returning but it didn't matter - the ship waited because it was a tour booked through RCCL.

They really enjoyed the trip they said.:)

The Tulum excursions arranged by the cruise lines allow for fairly long stops by the big coaches at the souvenir stands along the way as well as more than an hour in the commercial village around the parking lot at Tulum. If your ship docks at Cozumel or your boat gets you to the lighter dock before 10, you can probably find a taxi to take you and four friends down to the ruins and back in much less time and for a more reasonable price than the cruise-line tour. Of course the cruise line will issue dire warnings that you might be left behind if you don't stick with their program, but that possibility (seldom realized) really just adds to the adventure. (Just in case you do get left, be sure to pack your passport and credit cards.)

The Tulum excursions arranged by the cruise lines allow for fairly long stops by the big coaches at the souvenir stands along the way as well as more than an hour in the commercial village around the parking lot at Tulum.

we stopped only for 20 minutes when we went to Tulum.

But you spend the majority of the time in your transportation. between the ferry ride and the bus ride its like a 4 hour drive roound trip/

taking a land vacation you could then visit more impressive sites

Cozumel is an island off the coast and the ruins are on the mainland. IF you really want to explore I suggest <gulp>

a land vacation in the Yucatan (lots of possibilities besides Cancun) where you can spend some time and see the area. It is quite interesting!

I am planning one myself for next winter!

The Tulum excursions arranged by the cruise lines allow for fairly long stops by the big coaches at the souvenir stands along the way as well as more than an hour in the commercial village around the parking lot at Tulum. If your ship docks at Cozumel or your boat gets you to the lighter dock before 10, you can probably find a taxi to take you and four friends down to the ruins and back in much less time and for a more reasonable price than the cruise-line tour. Of course the cruise line will issue dire warnings that you might be left behind if you don't stick with their program, but that possibility (seldom realized) really just adds to the adventure. (Just in case you do get left, be sure to pack your passport and credit cards.)

they do manage to waste a lot of your time that could better be spent visiting the ruins.

Chichen Itza is SO much better than Tulum if you are looking for historical ruins. It is literally acres and acres of ruins to see. You are no longer allowed to climb the ruins but there is so much to see that it is a very small price to pay.It protects the ruins for future generations to see anyway!

From my personal experience I'd do a shorter one anyway. While I did enjoyed my tour, after about 2 hours I was ready to go anyway. I toured the biggest one there is, so they said, while I was in Honduras for two weeks. And like I said I enjoyed it, lots of great and interesting information, but after 2 hours of the hot sun, climbing up an down the formations, all the walking, I was ready to go after 2 or 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for an AI, then you will have plenty of time to do an excursion to Tulum (which is gorgeous) or Chichen Itza. But if I am not mistaken, Tulum is on the mainland. I would stay on the mainland and not Cozumel. They are a lot more options in Playa Del Carmen or Riviera Maya area, with better prices. And you avoid the ferry ride. I think it was about 1 to 1/2 hours from our resort to Tulum. We did that and then went to Xel-Ha (?) which is like an ecological park. AIs are great. Very different than cruising, but gives you more of a chance to do things like visit ruins. YOu can find good deals if you go during the right time of year.

Your best bet if you want to tour Mayan ruins as a cruise excursion may be to book a 5 day cruise that goes to Progreso as well as Cozumel. You can take an excursion from Progreso to Chicen Itza through Carnival.

I agree with the above poster that excursions to Mayan ruins are possible from Progresso. Another ruins tour available from Progresso is Uxmal, and it's the one we took. It's a shorter drive than the one to Chichen Itza. We were allowed to climb on many, but not all, of the ruins there as well. It was a wonderful excursion, and really the best reason to stop at Progresso.

Your best bet if you want to tour Mayan ruins as a cruise excursion may be to book a 5 day cruise that goes to Progreso as well as Cozumel. You can take an excursion from Progreso to Chicen Itza through Carnival.

Since your DH is into Mayan ruins, he would especially love going to Chicen Itza!

LuLu

~~~~

I too agree with the Progresso Cozumel cruise out of NOLA. I have been wanting to do this one for years, and keep getting railroaded by friends and spouse and keep going to the Bahamas.

If your DH is a buff on Mayan ruins, you will be OK on your choice. But you aren't going to see a lot of ruin, but very interesting country.

when booking a cruise-look at the hours in port-for Cozumel you do need a 7-8 hour stop before considering going back over to the mainland.

riffatsea is correct. My bad. The ships anchor between Cozumel and Cancun. Tulum tours typically run down the highway from Playa del Carmen, which is due west of Cozumel. We noted lots of very posh looking resorts on the beach along the highway between Playa del Mar and Tulum. Would love to be in a position to spend a few days at one of those. While Tulum is a lot smaller than many of the more famous sites such as Chichen Itza, it is unique in being right on the sea. The day we were there, the governor of Quintana Roo came in with a huge coterie of officials and press to declare Tulum one of the 10 wonders of his state.

I love Chichen Itza. We toured it from Cozumel, years ago, on a land-based trip. We actually took a small plane over, and it was quite enjoyable.

I like Tulum quite a bit. Very pretty location, along the coast. Nice & breezy.

San Gervasio is ok, and better than nothing if you are just on Cozumel.

Consider a land-based vacation on the mainland.

riffatsea is correct. My bad. The ships anchor between Cozumel and Cancun. Tulum tours typically run down the highway from Playa del Carmen, which is due west of Cozumel. We noted lots of very posh looking resorts on the beach along the highway between Playa del Mar and Tulum. Would love to be in a position to spend a few days at one of those. While Tulum is a lot smaller than many of the more famous sites such as Chichen Itza, it is unique in being right on the sea. The day we were there, the governor of Quintana Roo came in with a huge coterie of officials and press to declare Tulum one of the 10 wonders of his state.

I agree-Although some of the other ruins may be better from a historical perspective, because Tulum is on the beach it makes for a beautiful site. For anyone that has not been, check out some pictures on trip advisor. The ruins on the cliff overlooking the beach with white sand and turquoise water. Wow. :D

Thank you both! The main reason for this cruise is a family gathering-- not really for DH. LOL! The Tulum tour is not offered in the list of available excursions for our cruise. I think we are only in port from 9:00-3:00, and I read somewhere that the Tulum excursion takes 7 full hours normally. I'm thinking next summer we may opt for an AI so he can get the full "ruins experience". Thank you both again!

Keep checking the listing of shore excursions. I've noticed that they often add new ones as the sail date approaches.

Archived