Equinox Europe Cruise - November 13,2013 - is this a good idea?

wakar13

Hello All,

I came across the special Celebrity offers and then started searching and realized that at my price point 10/20 and 11/13 are the 2 options for an Equinox itinerary that covers Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Venice ovenight, Kotor and Dubrovnik over 12-nts.

A few questions please:

1) has anyone done a November cruise to some of these places - seems like it gets rainy and temps in the 50s. Does the rain impact your ability to get around or ruin your vacation?

2) I have an eye on a starboard cabin on Deck 10 - is a starboard cabin better than a port cabin in terms of ability to see the coast?

3) a better way to ask Q2 - which side of the ship offers best value for a veranda cabin?

4) Is teh October 20 time frame significantly better? its about $900 more to sail in OCtober.

The OBC/prepaid grats/drinks package make it tough - do the experienced cruisers have a better idea on value for money?

Thanks!

We did the Eastern Med sailing Nov 18, 2011 and never saw a drop of rain but some of those ports are warmer than the western ones. It was a bit cold in an open top bus in Naples but we survived. Walking around in Rome was fine. When docked in Livorno (port for Florence) we did a bus tour to San Gimignano which was magical. We had planned on Cinque Terre but that had to be changed because of the terrible floods they had shortly before our cruise. We had great weather. I think Nice will not be that cold or wet either. If you think the weather might impair your enjoyment of the cruise, perhaps you would be better to spend the extra money and go for October.

As for which side of the ship, it is hard to say as the ship may dock in one port with the starboard side facing the land and the opposite in another one.

We did a similar itinerary in early October, then a longer cruise 5 - 18 November. To be honest we didn't see a huge difference in the weather between the two. We needed a lightweight jacket in Rome in November, plus we had a rain shower that lasted 5 minutes. I love cruising later in the season as it is a lot less crowded, and the prices in the majority of ports for hoho buses etc is generally much cheaper. There is no guarantee of better weather in October, if it were me it would come down to the price. I've just booked and Adriatic cruise leaving 31 October, and honestly can't wait.

I have cruised three times in November in the Med. This last cruise in Oct/Nov 2012 was the only one we had rain in while we were in port. The temperature was pleasant, maybe a light jacket was needed. We had rain in 3 ports. Venice, our starting port was perfect as we missed the high waters but the rain caught up with us in two other Adriatic ports and also in Sicily which was a bit chilly. On the previous cruises we had mostly good weather until we hit a storm and missed Naples - so we had to go back! I think I would still go again that time as the weather for touring was great and the crowds less.

I have had a port veranda cabin the last two cruises and sometimes you are on the port side and other times not.

Gail

We just did the eastern Med on Nov 16. The weather was hit & miss. Temps were normally 55-65F during the day, depending on location and a couple nights were chilly. I'd expect cooler temps on those Adriatic ports. For ours, we had a brief shower in Sicily (drove through heavier rain to get to Etna) and in Ephesus. However, each stop that was dry had storms either just before or after our visit. Less severe than our thunderstorms in the US, though the day we arrived back in Rome, there were tornados in Catania.

My advice is to monitor the forecast and prepare for rain and cool temps. I started watching 10-day forecasts for each stop on a weather app long before we left home. Temps were right on and - up even though the precip may have been off - it was generally close. We learned to carry a light, waterproof jacket on each excursion and small umbrellas that fit in our backpacks.

As for side of the ship, remember you're close to the winter solstice, so it's going to be dark after 6:30pm, and as another post mentioned above, you're typically docked by the time most people wake up.

Posted via Tapatalk 2 quite possibly while I'm on the john with my DROID DNA

We have done three late Fall Mediterranean cruises because we like to stay on for the Transatlantic to return home so we take the last cruise of the season. In all three cases the weather was cool and generally dry. We needed a light jacket, and it was definitely not beach weather, but perfect for walking around cities. There are no crowds at that time, so sight seeing is easy. Obviously there is no guarantee of weather conditions, but we have only experienced one really bad day. That was a turn around day in Rome. We had planned to go ashore to stock up on wine for the second leg of the cruise but when we got off the ship to wait for the shuttle to the port gates it was so wet and windy that we changed our minds. Anyone who knows how much we enjoy our wine will appreciate that the weather must have been really bad. Luckily the wind dropped in the afternoon, so we braved the rain and ventured out.

Sheila

The only reason for a starboard balcony would be the sail-in to Venice, but you would do better to be topside. However, by that time, it is usually dark when you sail in, so it wouldn't matter...EM

wakar13: Equinox Europe Cruise - November 13' date='2013 - is this a good idea? I came across the special Celebrity offers and then started searching and realized that at my price point 10/20 and 11/13 are the 2 options for an Equinox itinerary that covers [b']Barcelona, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Venice ovenight, Kotor and Dubrovnik[/b] over 12-nts.

Agree with above that being on top for the great sail-in to Venice is best. Interesting things to see on BOTH sides.

We did these ports in June 2011 from wonderful and charming Barcelona. Check out my live/blog noted below for full details, lots of visuals, tips, etc. Below are a few of highlights to get you excited about this great part of the world. Weather in November might not be a warm, but the crowds will be less.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 11,870 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 9,518 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 16,898 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Added questions, needs, interests?? Happy to share more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,843 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

As we sailed into Venice, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14. Love Venice so, so much! Don’t miss this great sail-in and/or sail-out from the top deck of the ship!:

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace to board our shuttle back to the ship.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

We had visited Tuscany’s San Gimignano in 1999 with our son, but it is a town that is always impressive in history and architectural styles. We had lunch here. Below is a long-shot of the hill town with its tower from the wonderful countryside below and nearby.

SanGimiLongShot.jpg

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

We've taken November cruises to all these ports except Kotor. We love this itinerary and may book the Equinox for Nov and take the b2b Trans-Atlantic. The weather has been good.

Rain is always a possibility; but you can purchase an inexpensive souvenier umbrella from a vendor.

As for Starboard or Portside, I'd look at the itinerary for October and November then consider if you want morning or afternoon sun on your balcony. Sailaways and sailing in are better from a top deck to see both sides of the ship.

You asked about Deck 10, would you want a cabin fore or aft? I'd rather be in the front to avoid any possible vibrations from the smoke stack and to avoid the longer hallway w/o elevator at the back.

I note you live in MA, the weather in the Med will seem warm to you even in November.

Book, plan, and enjoy.

-Marisa

We too have done three Late November Med cruises 2008, 2009, 2010 -- First out out of Venice, second out of Barcelona, third out of Rome. Over the three of them, we have hit all of the ports you have listed. Weather was great - high 50's to high 60's sometimes into 70's. Light jacket was fine.

We did one in June and it was busier and sometimes too warm to really enjoy the sightseeing -- this is not a "beach" trip. We've done land-based in this same region May and July timeframes. July was unbearably hot and wall-to-wall tourists (darned tourists :rolleyes:!)

Venice is more likely to have flooding in this time frame and may be a bit cooler.

It can be a bit of a crap shoot for the weather, but for me the smaller crowds make it a wonderful time to make the trip.

We did this same itinerary and almost the same sail date last year on the Solstice. We arrived in Barcelona a couple days early and had a lot of rain there, but remarkably good weather the rest of the cruise. A little light rain in Dubrovnik, but otherwise it was sunny the whole way. We wore a sweatshirt or light jacket early in the day when in port, but it usually warmed up by afternoon. Of course we are from Chicago, so our idea of "warm" weather in November may be different than yours. :D

We really loved this itinerary and the Solstice. Have fun!

Archived