New Five Star Mariners Pin?

sail7seas

No I knew it was not the new '5' star pin. It is the pin that goes with the gold metal for 500 days. I just thought it was interesting that they want 75 dollars for it. Thought Sails, KK and others that have the 500 day pin would find it interesting.

Thanks, Lisa. I found it interesting. Especially seeing how much we paid for them! Depreciation is alive and well, I guess. Will be watching the mail for the new 5 star pin.

Thanks, Lisa. I found it interesting. Especially seeing how much we paid for them! Depreciation is alive and well, I guess. Will be watching the mail for the new 5 star pin.

^^ Yes, that. :)

We've been humble 3 star mariners for awhile now and we have NEVER received any pins of any kind, 1, 2 nor 3 stars. We thought they weren't doing them anymore. Not that it matters, where would you wear them? And why?

Ruth hasn't had her 5* pin appear in her cabin. The Mariner party hasn't been held yet so she hasn't given up hope that she'll receive it this cruise.

We are to receive ours on next cruise -- Mariner Seattle said to go to front desk to get new 5 Star ship/room cards on the date so we would get our new benefits ASAP & we also would get our 300 days at sea in a lunch while on board.

I hope, she knows to go to the front desk to get her 5 Star ship/room card.

Ray

We've been humble 3 star mariners for awhile now and we have NEVER received any pins of any kind, 1, 2 nor 3 stars. We thought they weren't doing them anymore. Not that it matters, where would you wear them? And why?
This is the 3* you should have. (Much larger than life-size.) It's the smaller, oval 100/300/500 day pins that are fading away as supplies are used up. Many people wear them to the Mariner's Brunch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154762&d=1272723046

I've seen them around but we never got any. How do you get them? Are they just mailed? Do I Have to request them?
They should have been mailed to you automatically as you achieved each level. Email the Mariner Society ( http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action ) or call them at 800-547-9139 and they will send them right out. :)

Ms7777.... Mariners Society is really good about responding to requests/calls of that sort. Many folks have reported here that when they have called about tiles or pins etc, Mariners has sent out whatever it is promply.

jtl..... HI JOHN.......

Good to see you posting, You've been missed. :)

When the new program began we were already 4 star Mariners -- our pins were mailed to us.

We just pin them to our ribbon that holds our medals. We only wear our medals to the awards ceremonies.

We are to receive ours on next cruise -- Mariner Seattle said to go to front desk to get new 5 Star ship/room cards on the date so we would get our new benefits ASAP & we also would get our 300 days at sea in a lunch while on board.

I hope, she knows to go to the front desk to get her 5 Star ship/room card.

Ray

I believe my earlier post covers the fact that Ruth has been receiving her 5* perks. She knows what she's doing. ;) Ruth hit the 500 day mark some time ago, so I'm sure her card was a 5* at check-in.

I know that for lower Mariner levels the new perks don't take effect until the cruise after one hits the new level. That is unless it occurs on a Grand Voyage. Then the perks are in effect starting the next segment. I've never heard of that happening mid-cruise. Good luck with that on your cruise.

I'll ask Ruth if she's received a pin yet. I know she's been receiving the 5* perks on her current South America/Antarctica cruise, so I'm sure her card at least shows her 5* Mariner status.

Look what I found........on eBay. They said it was the new 500 day pin and it was priced at $75.00. Can you imagine selling it for that price. Look at what your pins are worth Sails, KK and others.

Very impressive looking pin. Thanks for posting.

I know that for lower Mariner levels the new perks don't take effect until the cruise after one hits the new level. That is unless it occurs on a Grand Voyage. Then the perks are in effect starting the next segment. I've never heard of that happening mid-cruise. Good luck with that on your cruise.

We are on a Grand cruise and I have it in writting from Seattle to go to the front desk on the day we past the mark for a new ship/room card and we will receive the perts for the balance of the cruise.

In the question & answer section it also states -- "If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage."

Ray

HAL has changed their policy then. It will work out well for you as you are on a Grand Voyage. However, as Ruth is not on a Grand voyage, if she had not already been a 5* prior to boarding, suggesting she (or anyone else) go to the front desk to obtain a new card wouldn't do them any good. They will not get the 5* perks until their next cruise. Your advise is only applicable to those sailing on Grand Voyages.

We just got off of the ms Maasdam.

At a Captain's function was talking with a lady we met at embarkation and she said that she earned her new 5 Star Mariner Society status "The old fashioned way." and with talking with her some more she was obviously mad and informed me that the ms Maasdam was NOT honoring her new 5 Star stauts. I recommended that she go speak with the Senior Staff present and ask why. She said that was a good idea and she got up and went and talked to them. Last time I saw or spoke to her so do not know what answer she received from the Senior Staff member she spoke with.

Do any of you all have had or heard of the new 5 Star status not being honored on any or all HAL ships?

Communication problems........

Sometimes the ships are the last to know when Seattle Office has made changes.

I am NOT saying that is the case here but seeing the Five Star Category was just added January 5, 2013, it is possible they have not been fully informed aboard the ships and/or do not yet have any 5 Star Pins to award.

AND there is always the chance the lady about whom you are speaking was not 'entitled' to it yet and perhaps was confused or mistaken.

We just don't know what happened here. IMO

And Yes, anyone who has a Gold or Platinum Medallion awarded them by HAL earned the 500 days the 'old fashioned way'. The Star Mariner Program 5 Star level is 500 days but that can include bonus days for spending and for booking suites.

I don't think they are worth $10.

Hmmmm... you don't think so? Well, if you sail in Suites... for example then that 5 star pin is worth something like $500,000!!!!!!!!! ($500,000 for one pin single occuppancy... or $500,000 for two pins if booked as a double.) ;)

Hmmmm... you don't think so? Well, if you sail in Suites... for example then that 5 star pin is worth something like $500,000!!!!!!!!! ($500,000 for one pin single occuppancy... or $500,000 for two pins if booked as a double.) ;)

You have a point Topsham, but they really aren't worth the 10 dollars being charged for the three pins on eBay, just my opinion.

You have a point Topsham, but they really aren't worth the 10 dollars being charged for the three pins on eBay, just my opinion.

No, not at all. They are certainly not worth very much to the person who is selling them... obviously they didn't 'earn' them in the first place.

But who would buy them for $10 is entirely another matter!

We just got off of the ms Maasdam.

At a Captain's function was talking with a lady we met at embarkation and she said that she earned her new 5 Star Mariner Society status "The old fashioned way." and with talking with her some more she was obviously mad and informed me that the ms Maasdam was NOT honoring her new 5 Star stauts. I recommended that she go speak with the Senior Staff present and ask why. She said that was a good idea and she got up and went and talked to them. Last time I saw or spoke to her so do not know what answer she received from the Senior Staff member she spoke with.

Do any of you all have had or heard of the new 5 Star status not being honored on any or all HAL ships?

Your cruise began on January 4. The new 5 star program was to begin on January 5.

Chances are the Maasdam may not start recognizing the new program until January 18 since the cruise started before the new program started.

When the original Star program began -- each ship had a different start due to when a ship began a new cruise and that could be the situation on the Maasdam. MAYBE

It is possible that the Maasdam may not even have received the news of the new program. MAYBE

Archived