How Does NCL Really Compare?

Strathmore

Have been on RC, Holland, Celebrity & Princess over last four years. Found the crowd on H-A generally much older than us. (we are late 50s') Liked Celebrity, but wife found it a little slow in the evening for entertainment. I guess we lean toward RC or Princess for a future cruise. Really liked the design of their ships, as well. I think we will stay away from Carnival. Don't like the garish decor of their ships and some of the low brow "entertainment."

But then there is NCL. Never been on that line. Looking at a Norwegian Sun Southern Caribbean cruise in early 2014. The Sun's design and decor doesn't look too bad, but people claim you get what you pay for, and food and service on NCL seems to always be ranked a bit below Princess and RC.

Any advice? Thoughts from NCL fans who have also experienced other lines?

Thanks much

Have been on RC, Holland, Celebrity & Princess over last four years. Found the crowd on H-A generally much older than us. (we are late 50s') Liked Celebrity, but wife found it a little slow in the evening for entertainment. I guess we lean toward RC or Princess for a future cruise. Really liked the design of their ships, as well. I think we will stay away from Carnival. Don't like the garish decor of their ships and some of the low brow "entertainment."

But then there is NCL. Never been on that line. Looking at a Norwegian Sun Southern Caribbean cruise in early 2014. The Sun's design and decor doesn't look too bad, but people claim you get what you pay for, and food and service on NCL seems to always be ranked a bit below Princess and RC.

Thanks much

Haven't been on Princess but hear positive comments from those who have. Have sailed on the other three. HAL and Celebrity had older passengers but we had good experiences on both. NCL is less formal. I prefer not having a set dining time and doing what we want when we want. DH likes not having to pack a suit. I find the food quite good. Celebrity had the best food of those I've cruised, Royal Caribbean the absolute worst. I've only been on Jewel of the Seas so can speak only of the food we had on that one cruise. We don't cruise for food, though, and go for itinerary. The Sun is not my favorite NCL ship as it's smaller and older but I'd sail on it again if the price and itinerary were right. Hope that helps.

I think you have already decided .. You should probably stick with Celebrity.

NCL is between RC and Celebrity . Personally I prefer NCL when traveling with family and like Celebrity without the kids . By the way , the Sun / southern Carib is one of my favorites ;).

I'll end with this . You wont find a nicer crew than NCL's on any of the lines you mentioned .

Good luck

We have cruised Princess (22 cruises) Celebrity (11) HAL (4) Cunard (2) Crystal (1) and NCL (2)..

OUr last NCL cruise was 10 years ago. We are booked on the Jade this April in Europe (we have done Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Crystal in Europe by the way) -- we will be able to compare. I hear NCL is better in Europe then Stateside.

Regardless, of all the cruise lines we have been on we thought Cunard was the best when it came to food, entertainment and service. But Cunard is more formal... and not for everyone. Smart casual on Cunard it a jacket with no tie and that allowed only on first and last night.

After Cunard... the rest are very similar. We think Celebrity is more hype than delivery. Did the Celebrity Equinox and Ecipse, prefer Princess, love the Ruby Princess.

NCL may be too casual for us, we are an older couple and enjoy dressing for dinner, which will do while on the Jade.

After we return in April will let you know how the Jade compares to our other cruises in Europe.

Of the cruiselines I've sailed (and of the OP's list I've only sailed NCL and RCI), I'd rank them as follows:

NCL (by a pretty wide margin)

CCL (but would still go back if solo pricing ever went back to something sane)

Cunard (very close to CCL)

RCI (last by a pretty wide margin...I never felt comfortable on RCI)

I'm looking forward to sailing HAL for the right price someday; I'm not interested in Princess unless I can save enough for a ship with the window suite category; no interest at all in Celebrity unless they've introduced decent casual dining alternatives.

I'm new to cruising.

I have sail Carnival once and NCL once, but I'll not go back to Carnival ever again.

I have just book the NCL Epic for this year which I can't wait to go on.

Overall I would pick NCL for many reasons:

1) Staff are very friendly.

2) You feel more like you are on vacation. by that I mean, you do not have to dress up for dinner. Dressing up reminds me of work.

3) I can eat what I want, where I want, and with whom I want.

There's something special about NCL that brings me back for more cruises with them.

I have sailed one RCI, one Princess and the rest NCL. Hubby prefers NCL by a good margin because of the freestyle dining. While people do mostly make an effort to dress for dinner (not formal, just a little nicer), you won't find the majority in fancy attire overall in the dining rooms. As far as dining room food, I find all three to be fairly comparable. I find pluses and minuses on every ship and every cruise line we sail. I found Disney food to be of better quality than RCI, Princess or NCL.

I found my Princess cruise to skew older in clientele. (We are late 40s.) I thought RCI pretty well ran the sprectrum of age range. NCL also seems very blended in its customer base from younger to older.

Thanks much

Look at my signature and you'll see the lines we've cruised with. We just got off our 3rd NCL cruise. NCL is our favorite, X is 2nd. I'd be fine if I never cruised HAL again (though that was the best inside cabin we've ever had).

I had always been told the same things about NCL as you have - someone even told me it was the Motel 6 of cruising. Nothing could be further from the truth. I rate a cruise line on their people - crew and officers - and the services they provide. There isn't a friendlier line than NCL. Officers also show up to the cruise critic meet & greets, and are among the most visible.

The atmosphere on NCL is casual and fun. Resort casual (long pants or jeans that aren't torn or frayed) will get you in anywhere, and many venues allow shorts. Lots of dining options, and a table for 2 actually is a table for 2.

That itinerary alone (on the Sun) is worth giving NCL a try.

Just for a frame of reference, I'm 48, DH is 56 and DS is 11.

We were big on RCC and have given up as the food and overall experience has declined IMHO. We loved our one Princess cruise and will book again for sure. We just sailed Dawn and had a great time-much better food than RCC. We look for the ports, number of ports in a 7 day sailing, pricing and level of service. We are open to Celebrity but only in certain cabins. The good thing is that there is such a choice of lines and ships:)

We have been on quite a few cruises and always come back to NCL. Basically love the freestyle dining and dont need a mall or ice skating rink to make me happy. The suites are by far the best at sea. Princess was a bit too stuffy for us, Celebrity was great (before kids), Carnival, never again, and RCCL is nice but never felt "special" like NCL.

We've been on around 50 cruises, all on the mass market lines you mention. We are in our low to mid 50s. Most of our cruises have been on Princess, and we love Princess. Their mini-suites (which we always book) are fantastic. That said, our last cruise was on the NCL Epic, and we REALLY loved it! We have gotten over dressing for dinner, so we really like their Freestyle approach. And the fitness facilities on NCL cannot be beat! The food is comparable, and perhaps NCL's buffet is a bit better. Entertainment is better on NCL. We haven't been on the Sun since the 90s, so I can't comment on this version. But I would take a shot on NCL if I were you....you'll probably love it.

We are trying our first NCL cruise in several years this Spring. Can't beat the pricing and perks we are receiving on NCL and the Epic looks awesome. I can only hope we will love it as the rest of you do! It is going to be really strange not packing formal wear for the trip, though...

We took our first NCL cruise last September on the NCL Gem and we loved it! We really enjoyed the Freestyle aspect and I didn't miss my suit at all:D. Food was excellent and was comparable to most ships we've been on. Entertainment on NCL was some of the best we've seen and the nightlife is fairly active. We were on a ten day Canada cruise and it definitely was an older group so it wasn't crazy/wild. Staff was very friendly and attentive. We liked it enough to book another cruise on NCL. Enjoy your cruise!

I am thinking it is about time I try NCL. I have to get my husband to go along with it. Friends of our (who we cruise whit four times and have the same taste as us sailed NCL Dawn last year). They liked it so much that they are going back this year. I would like to go too.

Food is a big thing us. Everyone has different tastes. What I think is good others don't like. We were on Azamara two times. We thought the food was not as good on Azamara as other cruise lines thath we had been on. Other PAX on Azamara thought it was the best they ever had! To each their own.

I really hope to go on NCL, they sound like they have a lot to offer. I like not having to bring formal wear.

I like that NCL has some smaller ships. That is a plus for me.

Look at my signature and you'll see the lines we've cruised with. We just got off our 3rd NCL cruise. NCL is our favorite, X is 2nd. I'd be fine if I never cruised HAL again (though that was the best inside cabin we've ever had).

I had always been told the same things about NCL as you have - someone even told me it was the Motel 6 of cruising. Nothing could be further from the truth. I rate a cruise line on their people - crew and officers - and the services they provide. There isn't a friendlier line than NCL. Officers also show up to the cruise critic meet & greets, and are among the most visible.

The atmosphere on NCL is casual and fun. Resort casual (long pants or jeans that aren't torn or frayed) will get you in anywhere, and many venues allow shorts. Lots of dining options, and a table for 2 actually is a table for 2.

That itinerary alone (on the Sun) is worth giving NCL a try.

Just for a frame of reference, I'm 48, DH is 56 and DS is 11.

I agree with you. Motel 6? come on! those folks must be thinking of those Bahama Cruise Line ships that sail 2-3 day cruises out of the Florida ports.

I am platinum on RCCL an I enjoy NCL as much. My least favorite were Princess and Carnival, due to deck layout. The ships were nice, just not my style. Mainly Princess dinning rooms have fairly low ceilings, nothing grand feeling about them. On Carnival to get to some dinning rooms you must find passageways and only one elevator stack goes there. No big deals, I would sail any of them again.

Jon

We like Celebrity and NCL for different reasons. The food on Celebrity is excellent. For NCL the food is excellent at the specialty restaurants, but can be inconsistent at the MDR.

Entertainment is pretty good on NCL, especially on Epic.

NCL attracts a younger crowd than Celebrity. NCL does drive you nuts with announcements at the pool area.

Thanks much

Everyone has different opinions but I have sailed on most of the mass market lines and have enjoyed all of them. A lot will depend on what type of cruising you prefer. If you liked the fixed dining, more formal cruise line experience then NCL would not be a good fit for you. If you like a more relaxed do your own thing type of cruise then I would give NCL a try as they do it better than anyone. As far as service, in my experience NCL and HAL have the friendliest crews at sea, and I have never had a problem with the service. Food of course is subjective and I think it varies more by ship than by line. I have not had any cruises where the food was terrible, but some ships were better than others. As far as entertainment I think you will like NCL as they usually have pretty good entertainment. I also am in my late 50's and have learned to try different things and just enjoy the experience. Happy Sailing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I figured I would get a fair amount of positives on an NCL thread, but it does give me a better sense of things. The "not dressing" for dinner seems to be a big plus for several people. Now while I have never worn a tux on any of our cruises, I don't mind throwing on a sport jacket if I am having dinner in the main dining room. Would I be the only one on an NCL? Do they ever have what they call a formal night?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I figured I would get a fair amount of positives on an NCL thread, but it does give me a better sense of things. The "not dressing" for dinner seems to be a big plus for several people. Now while I have never worn a tux on any of our cruises, I don't mind throwing on a sport jacket if I am having dinner in the main dining room. Would I be the only one on an NCL? Do they ever have what they call a formal night?

My family dresses for dinner the way we would for a nice restaurant at home- my husband wears a sports coat and tie and I wear a dress. You will see everything from true formalwear and dress uniforms to very casual clothes. There is more of a live-and-let-live vibe on NCL.

Barb

Archived