India visa

Sidney24

I understand the visa for India ( Mumbai 2 day visit ) can be arranged onboard Holland America which results in both saving time and money.

Would greatly appreciate comments if anyone has experienced either positive or negative by this great onboard service

I don't know about 2013 but on the 2012 World Voyage it was one of the visas that you had to have prior to boarding. If not you were not allowed to get on the ship. The best place to ask would be Holland America or a Indian Consulate.

I think India is one of the countries (China is another) where you have to get a visa in advance.

We saw several people denied boarding because they had not got the Indian visa.

That was back in 209, but I don't think things have changed.

Have fun filling in the application form - they ask a lot of questions.

India, China and Brazil are the three major countries we had to get our own Visas, but have not gone to any of them in past year. For some West African countries we also had to get our own several years ago. Oh yes, also for Australia but that one is very easy.

I think India is one of the countries (China is another) where you have to get a visa in advance.

We saw several people denied boarding because they had not got the Indian visa.

That was back in 209, but I don't think things have changed.

Have fun filling in the application form - they ask a lot of questions.

Be interesting to know what happened to those passengers considering

many cruise passengers appear to travel without visa for India.

I was told by a past passenger that even passengers who did NOT wish to go ashore were advised they needed to pay for visa onboard.

Maybe HA insists initially as its a pain to apply for the Indian visa however

India obviously insists on all passengers paying.

Even if you do not go ashore, you are still in Indian waters, technically in India, therefore novisa, no cruise. I also read a thread several years ago about a cruise on a Costa ship, where those without a visa for India were put off the ship at the last port before India, and on their own to make their way to the next port after India to rejoin the cruise. EM

Here is a link to a document on the HAL site re visa requirements. For India it states: "MUST OBTAIN INDIAN VISA PRIOR TO BOARDING". That is a quote, including the capitalization. HAL also states on their site that it is the passengers responsibility to obtain the necessary visas. However on that same link the next country is Indonesia. They say that you can obtain a visa prior to boarding, but if arriving in Indonesia by ship, a visa may be obtained on board for $50. So, IF they can obtain a visa for the passengers while on board the ship, they will let you know they can do so and the current cost. We knew we could so we waited to get our Indonesian visas on board. That is not an option for Indian visas.

We know someone who did an Amazon cruise a few years back. A number of passengers were denied boarding in Florida because Brazil wouldn't allow anyone into the country (even if they never got off the ship) without that visa. The cruise lines HAVE to follow the immigration requirements as determined by the countries they visit.

Your call if you want to risk your cruise by showing up to board without the required visas.

THANKS, will play it safe and obtain indian visa.

Now the many questions and deciding if its a transit or tourist visa noting transit asks for days and tourist asks for weeks stay

I think it]'s a tourist visa you need. I think transit visa is only for people arriving by air and staying a couple of days before leaving for another country.

I just returned from a cruise (not HAL) which called-on the Andaman Islands. The line (Swan Hellenic) allowed those without Indian visas to board the ship, but disallowed access to Indian ports. 2010, on Azamara, several were almost denied boarding w/out visas for mainland India, but again, "just" disallowed getting on/off ship.

I'm unsure of your itinerary, but the Andamans also require a Restricted Area Permit (line &/or TA should provide info to submit w your visa application).

In in FL, so had to use Travisa (Houston Indian Consulate outsourced) & I opted for the 10-yr visa, reason being almost same price as tourist visa & surprise...I'm flying through Delhi w. 14-hr layover soon. Thankfully, w this 10-yr visa (transferable to new passport when your passport expires b4 10yrs), I don't have to even think about future travel plans.

Archived