Celebrity Century vs. Holland America Oosterdam for Alaska?

csaeroach

Hello

I am looking for some advise on two Alaska itineraries and ships and hoping for some advise.

We are planning an Alaska vacation on May 12, 2013 sailing. We are 4 adults (1 adult with limited mobility who uses wheel chair and walker). We will need a wheelchair in cabin, some of the vacation when embarking/disembarking. She will use the walker most of the time while on the ship. We can not get a wheel chair accessible cabin on Celebrity right now, but can get one on Holland America. So wondering what the difference of these two ships would be, and which would you think would be the better choice? She is thinking she could do without the accessible cabin, but we are leaning more towards taking an accessible cabin if one is available, but we want to make sure we pick the right ship and best itinerary possible, and what people's thoughts are on these two itineraries and ships, as we could waitlist for an accessible cabin so we want to make sure we go with best itinerary now when making our booking.

Celebrity Century leaves Vancouver, Canada

1Vancouver, Canada

2Inside Passage, United States

3Icy Strait Point, United States

4Cruising Hubbard Glacier, United States

5Juneau, United States

6Ketchikan, United States

7Inside Passage, United States

8Vancouver, Canada

Holland America Oosterdam leaves Seattle, WA

1Seattle, United States Cruising Puget Sound, United States --

2At Sea

3Tracy Arm Fjord, United States

4Juneau, United States

5Sitka, United States

6Ketchikan, United States

7Victoria, Canada

8Seattle, United States

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would always opt for a ship that went through the inside passage of B.C.

We lived in the area for twenty years I would say that the Vanouver area is much more attractive than the Seattle area.

Good luck with whatever ship you choose.

I would also chose the itinerary that did the inside passage, which ofcourse is out of Vancouver. Seattle is a nice trip and I love the Oosterdam but that is not my favorite itinerary.

Century is a very old ship, I myself would prefer to go on a Hal ship for Alaska, Why don't you look into the Zuiderdam which is a sister ship to the Oosterdam but she goes out of Vancouver like the Century. Just my thought.

I will be on that cruise in May.

Let me make this clear - itinerary is very important to me -and i confess I am not an Alaska fan (yet). It's very low on my bucket list. BUT we have been on thatt Celebrity ship - and that is what turned us off Celebrity.

It's fine to say it's all about itinerary but if the service is abysmal, the staff cold and just not welcoming or comfortable it puts a whole new slant on things.

It's only my experience but it was the WORST cruise of our life. Of course, any day at sea is better than a day at work, right? theoretically there is no bad cruise so we make the best of the things.

I wrote Celebrity and they never even had the courtesy to answer.

I lost 10 pounds on that cruise and assuredly it was not my goal (I'm not that fat thankfully). Food is subjective always but mine was inedible and the service was so slow that by the time they came to see how the food was everyone else was done!

Might have been a bad cruise - but not a ship I would EVER get on again (unless it was maybe free?)

JME (just my experience though) hopefully yours would be better.

But I thought I should share;)

Edited by kazu

We've done both itineraries and I would choose the Vancouver inside passage one in a heartbeat. Keep in mind that the itinerary from Seattle includes Sitka which is tender port and could be an issue for the one with mobility issues. The only reason I would ever do the Seattle itinerary again would be a great last minute deal, since we live 3 hours away.

I haven't been on the Century, but my mother ( who is extremely difficult to please ;)) went to Alaska on her 2 years ago and enjoyed it and had no problems. She was in a suite, so that may have improved her experience though. Kazu, I'm sorry your cruise was so bad! Was it a while ago? Maybe they've turned things around on the Century, because my mother is hard to please! I would also add that even though it is an old ship, I've seen her at Canada Place in the summer and she looks very well maintained.

I am also wondering why you are not considering HAL out of Vancouver. They have the Zuiderdam, Volendam, and Statendam doing the inside passage in May.

Edited by sunviking90

• 11 months later...

I am a big fan of both HAL and Celebrity, have been on the Century and the Oosterdam three times, six trips to Alaska. IMHO sailing out of Vancouver is great for the one evening that you get to experience the inside passage and one afternoon coming back. That is the inside portion from Vancouver north to Campbell River has sunlight only for awhile, when you pass Campbell River it is dark. Coming back the afternoon north of Campbell River is beautiful and sometimes killer whales can be seen. The problem of sailing out of Vancouver for a US person is transportation. Flying into Vancouver is much more expensive for me than Seattle. We have done all the ground transportation options from Seattle to Vancouver and have to say the bus is the best. We did rental cars twice and the border wait took over 3 hours both times. Probably not a problem for you coming from PEI.

I would pick the Oosterdam for Alaska in a heart beat over the Century. While both ships have a great observation room in the front of the boat (Carnival and Princess don't) the Oosterdam decks are more like a traditional passenger ship with a great true circumferential Promenade deck. A great place to see wildlife close to the water. Both ships have great food, fish on the Century being a bit better than the O. Century also has a good late afternoon sushi offering.

Tracy Arm is an incredible fjord but in May you probably won't be able to reach the glacier. Even without the glacier it is breathtaking. Hubbard glacier is magnificent.

Bottom line for me, if I was planning on an extended trip in BC I would pick the Vancouver option. If time was limited to a week I would pick the Seattle option. Again for you coming from PEI would be different.

Edited by reefisher