travel insurance but not flying anywhere. Suggestions needed

nerak2780

I apologize if this topic has been covered recently (obviously it has been covered before but when doing a search so much comes up that I start to get a headache)

Does anyone have any travel insurance reccomendations that does not include flight/baggage?

My family are going on RCI Canada/New England cruise out of Boston in October 2013. Since we live in MA (I actually live a 3 minutes drive from the port) our main concerns are weather related and general trip cancellation.

I've used insuremytrip before and have purchased through them twice (for travel when I had a flight) but most packages cover flight/baggage issues.

Any reccomendations for a la carte?

Thanks!

The difference in cost would be pennies. The most expensive thing that trip insurance covers is medical and medical evacuation. The rest to the indemnity companies is fluff to make it seem like you are getting more for your money.

It has been my experience the most costly coverage for trip insurance is cancellation/interruption.

We never insure the cost of our trip and only insure for medical out of country and for evacuation/repatriation and our premiums are a fraction of what they would be were we to insure the price of the trip.

For about our last 60+ cruises, we have self-insured cancellation and have saved tens of thousands of dollars in premiums we didn't pay.

We always were sure to have medical treatment and evacuation coverage either through a separate policy or our regular medical.

The difference in cost would be pennies. The most expensive thing that trip insurance covers is medical and medical evacuation. The rest to the indemnity companies is fluff to make it seem like you are getting more for your money.

I'm looking at the premiums for a CSA plan. For a 70-year-old cruiser you'd get the medical, emergency evac, travel delay, baggage loss, baggage loss, air flight accident and some other stuff for a premium of $25.

But add $1500 of trip cancellation to that and now your premium is $83 -- it more than triples. Trip cancellation/interruption coverage is by far the biggest part of the premium. The rest is relatively pennies.

I'm looking at the premiums for a CSA plan. For a 70-year-old cruiser you'd get the medical, emergency evac, travel delay, baggage loss, baggage loss, air flight accident and some other stuff for a premium of $25.

But add $1500 of trip cancellation to that and now your premium is $83 -- it more than triples. Trip cancellation/interruption coverage is by far the biggest part of the premium. The rest is relatively pennies.

My point is that taking out a few hundred of airfare and baggage isn't going to make much of a difference. My last trip was insured for $20K cancellation and $30K interruption, but the airfare was less than 10% of that.

Hmmm...thanks everyone for your help.

I'll look again on insuremytrip since paying for the flight/baggage coverage won't really make much of a difference it seems.

We'll only be in Canada and Maine (and Maine is 4 hour or less drive from home) so if something were to happen medically I think we'll be somewhat covered through insurance so I'm not too concerned about all that.

I've never cruised in October before; my main concern is weather (and non weather life stuff if they were to occur). In theory, I know I'd be fine without the insurance but my mother (who is paying for the trip) insists on having so I'm trying to find something reasonably priced with 5 people traveling.

If your mother is on Medicare, please be aware it will not pay out of country. Though we, too, are from New England, we sail Canada/NE every summer and I am sure to have medical coverage for us. We might be too injured or ill to travel even the small number of miles from Montreal to Boston and require treatment in Canada. Be certain your regular medical pays outside the U.S.

Frankly, cost of trip is tiny expense in comparison to possibly very high medical bills. Presumably one can afford the price of the cruise or they would not have booked it. However, they might not be able to handle $50,000 or more in medical/evacuation expenses.

I am confused about why it's an issue about not insuring a flight you aren't taking. Pick the policy you want to book and call them. Tell them you are boarding the ship close to home and do not have a flight. I am sure they will advise how you should write the policy.

Oh my goodness no. In fact, a couple can purchase an excellent travel med/evacuation for about $300 that provides coverage for all trips during an entire year (ours is limited to 70 days per trip). The big bucks for trip policies are the cancellation clauses. Since we travel a lot (about 6 months a year) we choose to self insure cancellation and purchase excellent med and evacuation. As far as cancellation, we figure we are more then $100,000 ahead of the game for all the money we have saved over the years by not buying cancellation policies.

Hank

Archived