chilkoot tour prices for skagway

dustyroad

My daughter is prone to motion sickness. Will the bus ride be a problem?

Thanks.

Only answer that can be given- "maybe"?? Is it really going to pertain to your daughter, if you get a bunch of "you'll be fine", "I did it" etc etc comments? IF an issue, then prevention is the best answer. Consult your health care professional for the best option.

I would be more concerned about the train ride than the comfort vans. Trains tend to rock and jerk and not be exactly smooth rides. I know I will have Bonine with me just in case for the plane, cruise, train, bus... everything.

I would be more concerned about the train ride than the comfort vans. Trains tend to rock and jerk and not be exactly smooth rides. I know I will have Bonine with me just in case for the plane, cruise, train, bus... everything.

Only answer that can be given- "maybe"?? Is it really going to pertain to your daughter, if you get a bunch of "you'll be fine", "I did it" etc etc comments? IF an issue, then prevention is the best answer. Consult your health care professional for the best option.

Thanks for the advice. We will bring medicine for her since she might needs it for the cruise.

She is OK with train rides. I was concerned if the bus route is winding and turning all the time.

Thanks for the advice. We will bring medicine for her since she might needs it for the cruise.

She is OK with train rides. I was concerned if the bus route is winding and turning all the time.

the road will have some turns in it. I agree that the train might be more of a factor than the van if she is prone to sea-sickness. take the medicine before the tour. better to be prepared than take medicine when the damage is done, if it is going to happen.

I'm so excited!! Our cruise is coming up on June 1st& hv booked the train/bus tour, including the Yukon visit. I think the price is great! Way cheaper than wat the cruise line offer (princess).

I think we r leaving at 8:40 by bus & return by train. Does anyone know which station will we be getting off? Will the tour company hv someone to pick us up & drop off us at the pier? I heard its quite a distance from the twin station to the port if u r not booking through the cruise line.

If you are using Chilkoot, they will have vans at the end of the Broadway dock and the Railroad dock. From there they will check you in to your assigned tour and then they meet the rest of the vans and exchange pax if necessary. Then it is off to meet the train - or head for Carcross, or Fraser. I am not sure where the train stops since we did it first. I would be prepared to get off at the main station - just a short walk from the piers.

Edited by bonvoyagie

We are trying to decide between the Yukon Bus & Rail excursion, or the Bennett Scenic Journey. From the brief descriptions, I can't figure out which we would like better. They both seem to go in the same general area, with Bennett having more train time? We want maximum scenery, and love riding trains. Any recommendations for one over the other?

thanks!

We're doing the Bennett trip based on a recommendation of a friend who spent a whole summer up in Alaska at a host/hostess at a national park. You can only get to Bennett by train - she said the scenery was beautiful.

We are trying to decide between the Yukon Bus & Rail excursion, or the Bennett Scenic Journey. From the brief descriptions, I can't figure out which we would like better. They both seem to go in the same general area, with Bennett having more train time? We want maximum scenery, and love riding trains. Any recommendations for one over the other?

thanks!

If you are want maximum scenery definitely take the Bennett Scenic Journey. You will have no regrets with your priority. There is some amazing scenery after Fraser. Enjoy!!!

We have done the train before.

I was thinking of doing the bus/bus.

Do you get the same effect doing the bus/bus vs the train/bus?

Nope it is not the same. Especially with the Lake Bennett train, it is no where near any road. The scenery is only common a couple miles, Skagway/Fraser.

The train would be for someone, especially interested in history and engineering as well.

thanks!

Nope, the Lake Bennett train is not the same "general" area. Completely different scenery and only way to get to Bennett is by rail. It would be the maximum scenery.

Budget Queen -

We have done the train on one cruise and state park tour (you had suggested) on another.

We are in Skagway from 6am-5pm in August.

We might (?) rent a car but I would think the driver would not get to see as much as the passenger and I would worry about getting back on time.

I was thinking of taking one of the Chilkoot tours.

If you had a choice which one you take.

Yukon Bus and Rail - 7.5 hours

Bennett Scenic Journey - 8 hours

Discouver The Yukon Adventure 6.5 hours.

It always nice to get help from someone that has been there many times.

Budget Queen -

We have done the train on one cruise and state park tour (you had suggested) on another.

We are in Skagway from 6am-5pm in August.

We might (?) rent a car but I would think the driver would not get to see as much as the passenger and I would worry about getting back on time.

I was thinking of taking one of the Chilkoot tours.

If you had a choice which one you take.

Yukon Bus and Rail - 7.5 hours

Bennett Scenic Journey - 8 hours

Discouver The Yukon Adventure 6.5 hours.

It always nice to get help from someone that has been there many times.

I disagree on your assessment of the drivers view by road. I've driven this many times, and had an excellent time as the driver. I stopped where I wanted, the drive, just expands out in front of you. Since you have already been here, it isn't a freeway. :) Simple two lane road, instead.

However, I think the Lake Bennett tour is one of the best and certainly offers a full day of endless scenery.

Any of the above selections is an excellent choice and would be enjoyed.

• 3 months later...
On the Bennett Scenic Journey is there time in Carcross to go in the post office and get the passport stamp??

We took the Scenic Bennett Journey this past June. I am not sure what happened but we did not have any time to spend in the town of Carcross. Our driver was Stanley. When our train pulled into the town of Carcross everyone got off the train and met back up with our driver. Everyone than boarded the van for the next part of our trip. We didn't have more than a few minutes prior to boarding the van. It would have been nice to use the restrooms, walk around the small town, get some ice cream, stamp our passports and possibly watch the train pull away from the station.

Other than not spending any time in the town of Carcross. We had a wonderful time on this tour. The weather was perfect, the scenery was awesome and our time on this tour flew by so quickly it didn't seem like you were gone almost eight hours. We would do this tour again on our return trip to Skagway.

Edited by world_traveler_et

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is interested in 2014 Chilkoot Charters, just received an email from them and 2014 prices will be available mid October.

Just found this thrread about the Chilkoot tours. We are in Alaska in 2014 and would love it if you would post the price list. The cruise post a tour with the suspension bridge but am leaning towards the Chilkoot tours. Do you know how the two compare? Is the dog sled ride worth it? Thank you, Cathi

Just found this thrread about the Chilkoot tours. We are in Alaska in 2014 and would love it if you would post the price list. The cruise post a tour with the suspension bridge but am leaning towards the Chilkoot tours. Do you know how the two compare? Is the dog sled ride worth it? Thank you, Cathi

We thought so. It was one of our favorite things. It's short, but exciting and then you get to play with the doggies.

the best thing to do is email them www.chilkoottours.com this fall or winter and they will email you their tours with prices for next year. they are not in the office everyday when the season is over , but they do a good job at getting back to you quickly.

I just did the 8 hr van up and down with the lunch included for $99 and it was wonderful. there where only 6 of us in the small miny bus with great windows to see out of. as we passed the grayhound size buses filled with the ship passengers getting on and off we where so glad we were in our small van. our tour guide james was very informative and took pictures of you at the places we stopped at.

I have not been to the bridge so I cant comment on that. but the puppies where we had lunch were so cute. your ride will be on wheels on a dirt track.

I highly recommend chilkoot for a tour up the mt. the one that includes the train either up or down is wonderful too.

have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by dustyroad

Hi Cathi, I emailed them this past July to book for 2014, and they said they will email me the price list in mid-October when they release the new prices, and bookings can be made on their website any time after the new prices are released. So just check their website around mid-October or email them to request the price list. Yvette