Chef's Table - are people snobbish?

ROXIETHEHORSE

We are going to be boarding the Crown on February 9th and we are interested in doing the Chef's Table.

I have 2 questions...

1 - are people "snobbish" while taking part in this? We just enjoy good food, but we are very down to earth and do NOT enjoy snobbery. We would be there for food and fun. We just don't want to be "stuck" putting up with a lot of obnoxious behavior while on vacation - we get enough of that at work. :rolleyes:

2 - I am allergic to shrimp. No other shellfish, JUST shrimp. I am fine with giving "my" shrimp to my husband, but will I be left with no food if I can't eat shrimp?

Thanks for your help!!

We have done the Chef's Table 3 times and have never had to deal with any snobs. We have always had the best of times and have always enjoyed our dinner mates.

The menu is subject to change but I don't remember any shrimp dishes or appetizers.

Make sure to get on the ship early and call the for reservations as soon as you can. This always books up fast.

Have done the CT 4 times, and never encountered any snobbery. It's a fun experience.

Don't worry about not having enough to eat ..... I'm usually already feeling full by the time the risotto course is done, and I have only eaten half of the risotto to "leave room" for the entree!!

In the remote possiblity you have a snob at your table, do NOT let it ruin your experience. Blow 'em off and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Exactly!

We dined with a group of five couples at our one Chef's Table experience. One couple would be classified as snobs--attempted to monopolize conversations with the chef, maitre d, and sommelier in an effort to demonstrate their knowledge of food and wine and their many previous experiences at Chef's Tables on other ships.

The rest of us got along famously, and did an informal count among ourselves of the number of times the snobbish couple "showed off" their knowledge....

You will have a great time, even if you are unlucky enough to have a boorish couple among the attendees.

We took part in the Chef's Table on the Emerald in June and we had no "Snobs". We all had a great time and enjoyed helping 1 of the participants celebrate his birthday. Hoping we can do it again when we are back on the Emerald in April for our anniversary.

Had snobs at our Chef's Table both times we've done it, but didn't really care. We and the other diners were somewhat immune, and had a lovely time anyway. It's hard to take a young chickie married to an old fart with money very seriously, so the rock she kept flashing under our noses and her comments about "we ONLY cruise with Crystal" didn't garner much interest.

The other guy was too drunk to notice he was being a snob, so he was pretty much ignored as well.

It's all about your own attitude. Don't let it bother you.

We are going to be boarding the Crown on February 9th and we are interested in doing the Chef's Table.

I have 2 questions...

1 - are people "snobbish" while taking part in this? We just enjoy good food, but we are very down to earth and do NOT enjoy snobbery. We would be there for food and fun. We just don't want to be "stuck" putting up with a lot of obnoxious behavior while on vacation - we get enough of that at work. :rolleyes:

2 - I am allergic to shrimp. No other shellfish, JUST shrimp. I am fine with giving "my" shrimp to my husband, but will I be left with no food if I can't eat shrimp?

Thanks for your help!!

When we did the Chef's table on the Coral, people were not snobbish at all. Plus, they gave you so much wine before hand during Kitchen tour and alcohol during dinner, I think any snobbishness would go away.

Before we were selected we were interviewd by Maitre D who asked us about food allergies and our willingness to try different foods. If that weeks Chef's table were a shrimp celebration, they would probably inform you of that and not select you. If they even still select the participants, it has been almost 4 years since I did that Chef's table

We did the CT on the Crown a couple of years ago. I'm allergic to mango and DH is allergic to melon (life threatening allergies). We met with the Maitre d' on the first day to book in for the CT (we tried but couldn't book it over the phone but had to see the Maitre d' in person the first day we boarded), and asked him if these allergies would stop us from doing the CT (we would understand if it did).

He was great and said that they usually had at least one of those foods in the menu, but said he would make sure that the menu was changed to accommodate us. We had a fantastic time and the food was superb.

With regard to snobbish people, there was one couple who I wouldn't say were snobbish, but they obviously didn't want to interact with the rest of us in the group. They hardly spoke all evening (except at times to each other) and when I tried to engage them in conversation, I got a one word answer and then they turned away. The rest of the group were great.

Have a wonderful time if you do the CT.

I would highly recommend this experience. The people when we did it were very nice and not snobish. The food was excellent and if they had something you did not like there would still be plenty to eat. As others have said they ask you ahead of time if you have any allergies. Go for it and have a great time!!! I took a lot of pictures, not only of people and the servers but also of the food and also a short video and was really glad I did. They really bring back great memories.

We've enjoyed the Chef's Table twice, the last time being last August. Great food and no snobs both times! Our friends, first timers for the CT and big Celebrity cruisers, said it was the best time they have had on any cruise dining experience!

I did the Chef's Table last June on the Sea. Not only were the folks not snobby, the three couples made sure the three singles (me included) were included in all the conversations that were going on. After dinner, the maitre'd invited us all to dinner the next night. So when we congregated at the appointed time the next evening, he took us to our reserved table. Although dinner that night wasn't as impressive as the previous night's it was still way better than I'd cook for myself at home.

I'd highly recommend it!

We've enjoyed the Chef's Table twice, the last time being last August. Great food and no snobs both times! Our friends, first timers for the CT and big Celebrity cruisers, said it was the best time they have had on any cruise dining experience!

I am allergic to shellfish, highly so, that even a spoon touching shrimp makes me swell, or grease which shellfish was cooked in with something else, like cod. I want to do the chef's table so much; but hate to ask if they can accomodate me. I've read it can be done, but would everyone think I was a snob to ask this? I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong opinion. I love to cook and to have this presentation would be just wonderful

I am allergic to shellfish, highly so, that even a spoon touching shrimp makes me swell, or grease which shellfish was cooked in with something else, like cod. I want to do the chef's table so much; but hate to ask if they can accomodate me. I've read it can be done, but would everyone think I was a snob to ask this? I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong opinion. I love to cook and to have this presentation would be just wonderful

Dealing with a serious allergy is (in my opinion) certainly NOT snobbery. That's just being prudent. Being argumentative with the staff if they were unable to reasonably accommodate you WOULD be :) As a general rule, someone who asks about whether "__ is snobbish" is unlikely to be a snob. :)

In your case be very careful when you are in the Galley. You will be presented with five or six heavenly appetizers, some which will be of shellfish, and may be served from the same platter.

john

That is definately NOT snobbery; just good common sense. At the per dinner meeting with the maitre'd, the day before the dinner, everyone will be asked if they have any food allergies.

Oh I'm so glad I don't have any food allergies! It's not snobbish to insist that your health comes first! I know couple who have a child with a peanut allergy, and they have taken all kinds of abuse on airplanes for complaining about peanuts. It's real health concern, and people die from food allergies!

Archived