Flight Prices to San Juan from Aus

Hello!

I was wondering whether anyone in Aus has flown to San Juan & wouldn't mind sharing the price they've paid, how long in advance they booked & who have they travelled with?

The front runner is Qantas & they appear to be the most direct route. Although seats are not availlable to be booked yet (for Feb/Mar 2014), my TA was able to tell me 'standard' pricing - about $2.2k!

Seeing as there are so many specials to the US these days, i thought that is quite a lot.

Thanks!

We sailed out of Miami last Feb and San Juan was one of our options. You may be better off with a combined Qantas, American Airlines ticket. Look at the Qantas and AA web sites and do a few multi city ticket variations. You can do the same on one of the travel websites as well. Look at flying into the Qantas hubs (LA, DallasFW or NY) then see what the add ons are. You may find for the same or less money you can add a few other stopovers eg San Fran, Vegas. New Orleans may be a good stopover as Carnivale may be on at that time. There is Carnivale stuff going on at Cozomel when we were there.

Hope this helps.

Have you thought about pricing your flights on QANTAS as if you were travelling next month, there is a sale on at the moment and it might be a good indication of what it would be for the same period next year. You could then set that as a guide for what you will pay when the availability comes up and of course a sale with QANTAS.

Just an idea!

I can get $177 one way in February 2013 Los Angeles to San Juan with one bag 23kgs on Jet Blue.

Buy 2 tickets.

Sydney - Los Angeles

LAX- San Juan.

Glen

Thanks for that - TA told me that I wouldn't be able to book direct with us airlines thought? Apparently just as those overseas aren't able to book with our discount carriers...?

I will look at Jet Blue now..

Thanks for that - TA told me that I wouldn't be able to book direct with us airlines thought? Apparently just as those overseas aren't able to book with our discount carriers...?

EEK!! I just played around on Jet Blue, I foudn the $177 tickets, but travel time is a min of 11 + Hours!!

Have you thought about pricing your flights on QANTAS as if you were travelling next month, there is a sale on at the moment and it might be a good indication of what it would be for the same period next year. You could then set that as a guide for what you will pay when the availability comes up and of course a sale with QANTAS.

Just an idea!

Thank you - I've just done it & the price is now $1800 - which is considerably less. I guess now it's waiting until seats get released & playing the waiting & hopeing for Qantas sale game!

I can explain this to you, as we have a few flights booked within the USA atm. The smaller carriers in the US will not accept/allow a third party booking ie through an aussie TA, another airline search engine. etc You can however, do this booking yourself by going through the airlines USA site directly ie Jet Blue, Alaskan, Southwest etc. Easily done with online payment via credit card.....same as booking aussie internal flights.

The larger US airlines ie AA etc, have offices in Oz, and therefore TA's can access or yourself can book. When searching these larger airlines you will notice it picks up on your ip address, hence diverting you to the aussie office and subsequently aussie dollars.

Jen:)

I can explain this to you, as we have a few flights booked within the USA atm. The smaller carriers in the US will not accept/allow a third party booking ie through an aussie TA, another airline search engine. etc You can however, do this booking yourself by going through the airlines USA site directly ie Jet Blue, Alaskan, Southwest etc. Easily done with online payment via credit card.....same as booking aussie internal flights.

The larger US airlines ie AA etc, have offices in Oz, and therefore TA's can access or yourself can book. When searching these larger airlines you will notice it picks up on your ip address, hence diverting you to the aussie office and subsequently aussie dollars.

Jen:)

Huh-huh!! Thank you! A wealth of information here.

I've just tried something else.. Qantas return to Dallas. Then expedia for Dallas to SJU = $2.3k for the total trip! i guess the Qantas direct to SJU via Dallas is cheaper during promotional times.

Once you've booked a cruise in the US, how far in advacne have you booked your flights?

Huh-huh!! Thank you! A wealth of information here.

I've just tried something else.. Qantas return to Dallas. Then expedia for Dallas to SJU = $2.3k for the total trip! i guess the Qantas direct to SJU via Dallas is cheaper during promotional times.

Once you've booked a cruise in the US, how far in advacne have you booked your flights?

Whenever they on sale thats when I book. For example, I'm doing a TA in April and I only just booked my flight to LA a couple of days ago.

Sign up for their emails. If you booked the Qantas Dallas return flight, and then separately the SJU flights.....make sure you have a decent layover time in Dallas. Allow for delays etc, as you will not be covered for complimentary accommodation, next flight availability. It would be considered a missed flight. Something to think about....but travel insurance would kick in then....with you having to pay upfront then apply for refund.

Jen

. . .

Here is an article on the best time to buy airfare in the US market: http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/travelkit/counting-days-best-deals-airfare-1B8007203

According to the article, it's about 50 days out for US domestic flights (San Juan is a domestic US flight). Because the cheap air fares are non-refundable, I wouldn't buy a US domestic ticket until after my cruise reaches the full-payment due date, typically 60 - 75 days from the sail date. An exception is if you are traveling close to a major US holiday period.

American Airlines has the most flights to SJU, 8 per day from Miami. There are direct flights from several other cities, but none as frequent as Miami. I flew on US Airways from Philadelphia.

Here is some information I put together about San Juan for our Panama Canal cruise back in 2011: http://mercruiser.wordpress.com/itinerary/puerto-rico/

Sign up for their emails. If you booked the Qantas Dallas return flight, and then separately the SJU flights.....make sure you have a decent layover time in Dallas. Allow for delays etc, as you will not be covered for complimentary accommodation, next flight availability. It would be considered a missed flight. Something to think about....but travel insurance would kick in then....with you having to pay upfront then apply for refund.

Jen

If you use a real live TA, instead of a web store, the TA can put two separately purchased tickets on the same PNR. I travel extensively for business and my TA does this all the time. For example, I'm going from Spokane to Seoul on two separately purchased tickets on two unrelated airlines. Ticket a) goes from Spokane to Seattle. Ticket b) goes from Seattle to Seoul. I have one PNR for both tickets. Having one PNR for both flights allows me to check my luggage through to Seoul. It also means that if airline a) cancels my flight, they are responsible for getting me to Seoul.

We know PNRs more commonly as the 6 character "confirmation numbers" like "LMZNSP"

Jen

Have signed up!

I did think of that which is why I hope to do the one flight booking.

This will be for my birthday & honeymoon so the less stress the better!

Bring on march for seats to be released!!

Have signed up!

I did think of that which is why I hope to do the one flight booking.

This will be for my birthday & honeymoon so the less stress the better!

Bring on march for seats to be released!!

What a great birthday and honeymoon:)

If you google 'airline alliances' it may explain more. ie the company One Alliance that Qantas is a member of, also includes AA amongst others. This is where the codeshare bits come into play, ie QF/AA. I think there are about three 'Aliance' companies.....Star Alliance is another one (different airlines linking together).

It really is testy getting the best deal, but persevere, and you will save lots....and like us and others, learn lots.

If you use a real live TA, instead of a web store, the TA can put two separately purchased tickets on the same PNR. I travel extensively for business and my TA does this all the time. For example, I'm going from Spokane to Seoul on two separately purchased tickets on two unrelated airlines. Ticket a) goes from Spokane to Seattle. Ticket b) goes from Seattle to Seoul. I have one PNR for both tickets. Having one PNR for both flights allows me to check my luggage through to Seoul. It also means that if airline a) cancels my flight, they are responsible for getting me to Seoul.

We know PNRs more commonly as the 6 character "confirmation numbers" like "LMZNSP"

Yes, I get what you mean, for sure:) Says something for booking through a TA sometimes, rather than on your own, if they can combine the PNRs. Can you book a third and separate non alliance, low cost carrier ticket, for internal flights within South Korea (after landing in Seoul)....and it still be on the same PNR? Not trying to be smart....just wonderin':)

What I meant in my post is.... if the op wished to book the Dallas/San Juan by themselves through an individual airlines, ...... make sure the layover time in Dallas is more than adequate.

Most of our flights are on the same ticket with one confirmation number...but then they are all Alliance Partners, and were booked at the same time. The low cost US airlines that our TA could not book, we booked ourselves, under advice from the TA.....hence a separate confirmation number. These carriers are not under the same alliance (One world).

Interesting what you learn (and keep learning).....thanks heaps.:)

Yes, I get what you mean, for sure:) Says something for booking through a TA sometimes, rather than on your own, if they can combine the PNRs. Can you book a third and separate non alliance, low cost carrier ticket, for internal flights within South Korea (after landing in Seoul)....and it still be on the same PNR? Not trying to be smart....just wonderin':)

What I meant in my post is.... if the op wished to book the Dallas/San Juan by themselves through an individual airlines, ...... make sure the layover time in Dallas is more than adequate.

Most of our flights are on the same ticket with one confirmation number...but then they are all Alliance Partners, and were booked at the same time. The low cost US airlines that our TA could not book, we booked ourselves, under advice from the TA.....hence a separate confirmation number. These carriers are not under the same alliance (One world).

Interesting what you learn (and keep learning).....thanks heaps.:)

Yes, internal flights can be added to the same PNR. I've had up to three separate tickets on one PNR. The airlines do not have to be in the same alliance to be on the same PNR. In my particular trip, airline a) is Alaska Air, an independent airline. Airline b) is Asiana, part of Star Alliance.

When this doesn't work is if you are booking on an ultra-low cost carrier that doesn't allow flight bookings through the computer reservations system. These are the airlines that require bookings on their web site only. Many such airlines will not check luggage through to another carrier, except in very limited circumstances. Examples include Tiger Airways, which states on their web, "Tiger Airways is strictly a 'point-to-point' airline. We therefore do not offer and cannot facilitate, the transfer of passengers or their baggage to other flights, whether operated by Tiger Airways or other airlines. . . .No transfers using 'Airside' facilities will be permitted."

Three hours in Dallas is about right if you are clearing customs from an international flight or if your luggage is not checked through, requiring you to re-check luggage in Dallas. If you are going from one domestic USA flight to SJU with through-checked luggage, then 1.5 hours should be fine. In either case, it is best to have both flights on the same PNR so that you are protected if the first flight is cancelled.

Enjoy your trip to San Juan. We really liked the four days we spent before our Panama Canal Cruise.

we've booked direct with Jet Blue, AA and America West and others

Oz TAs will always want you to book with them...

Yes, internal flights can be added to the same PNR. I've had up to three separate tickets on one PNR. The airlines do not have to be in the same alliance to be on the same PNR. In my particular trip, airline a) is Alaska Air, an independent airline. Airline b) is Asiana, part of Star Alliance.

When this doesn't work is if you are booking on an ultra-low cost carrier that doesn't allow flight bookings through the computer reservations system. These are the airlines that require bookings on their web site only. Many such airlines will not check luggage through to another carrier, except in very limited circumstances. Examples include Tiger Airways, which states on their web, "Tiger Airways is strictly a 'point-to-point' airline. We therefore do not offer and cannot facilitate, the transfer of passengers or their baggage to other flights, whether operated by Tiger Airways or other airlines. . . .No transfers using 'Airside' facilities will be permitted."

Three hours in Dallas is about right if you are clearing customs from an international flight or if your luggage is not checked through, requiring you to re-check luggage in Dallas. If you are going from one domestic USA flight to SJU with through-checked luggage, then 1.5 hours should be fine. In either case, it is best to have both flights on the same PNR so that you are protected if the first flight is cancelled.

Enjoy your trip to San Juan. We really liked the four days we spent before our Panama Canal Cruise.

Thank you very much for your input - certainly learn something new everyday!

Just to clarify, if it would work out cheaper to personally book flights from Syd - Dallas with Qantas, then a direct flight from Dallas to San Juan (only airline i could find is American Airlines whichis part of the alliance) how would I go about having the 2 flights on the same PNR? Which airline would I call? Or is this done through a TA ?

Thank you very much for your input - certainly learn something new everyday!

Just to clarify, if it would work out cheaper to personally book flights from Syd - Dallas with Qantas, then a direct flight from Dallas to San Juan (only airline i could find is American Airlines whichis part of the alliance) how would I go about having the 2 flights on the same PNR? Which airline would I call? Or is this done through a TA ?

If it is cheapest to book this as two separate tickets, I would suggest pricing this out yourself on your favorite travel web site. Then take that information to a TA and ask them to book it on one PNR. I don't know of any other way to get two separate tickets on one PNR. TAs use computerized reservations systems, called CRS, that allow them to do this. I don't know of any travel web site that will do this. I don't think an airline will do this either. Personally, I book a lot of things directly on travel web sites, but I think this is a situation where TAs are the best option.

Be sure to check the price of your Dallas to SJU flight in first class. When my wife and I went on our Panama canal cruise, first class was only about $200 more than economy class. With 11 hours of flights between Spokane and SJU, I gladly paid the extra $200 for first. It's a long shot that they are still priced like this, but it doesn't hurt to check.

A fun bit of trivia here. The SYD-DFW Qantas flight is the 3rd longest non-stop flight. Later this year, it will be the longest when Singapore drops their non-stops to the U.S.

Archived