Carnival Spirit troubles?

Ever heard of the "dead mans/womans cabin"?? I suspect we got one, 3 days before sailing on Oriana to the UK. It was a fantastic cabin - 9 grades higher than what we paid for (a guaranteed inside). But there must have been a reason we got it :o

I think we all might be surprised just how many no-shows there are on cruises - right up to the day of sailing - and long past the final pay-by date. It's all got to do with the majority demographic of cruiseships :(

Barry

Crowded lifeboats? I'd be happy I was in the lifeboat...the middle seat on long haul plane now that's something I dread!

Sue

Sue -- I take your point -- but after some nightmare long, hot and rough tender boat trips (Port Denarau comes to mind) where the tender boat wasn't even filled anywhere near capacity, I think the longhaul aircraft seat would be luxury :D Anybody seen the "bums" painted on the seats? -- I don't see too many real live bums like those onboard cruiseships!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Sue -- I take your point -- but after some nightmare long, hot and rough tender boat trips (Port Denarau comes to mind) where the tender boat wasn't even filled anywhere near capacity, I think the longhaul aircraft seat would be luxury :D Anybody seen the "bums" painted on the seats? -- I don't see too many real live bums like those onboard cruiseships!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Plane seats are definately not for Aussie bums or shoulders not sure about tender boats..cant say they have ever bothered me. Yep hot etc. but too excited to see what there is to see and the end of it. :) Usually I am hanging over the side taking photos of the ship as we leave it..if I can get a good seat.

Sue

I honestly don't think they'd ever have problems getting some passengers to take up one of those offers. Sure, there'll be plenty of passsengers who wouldn't be able to and I wold be one of them. As a family, we have to book our cruises around school holidays etc and DH and I have to get leave approved for work. However, there would also be a reasonable number of passengers who are flexible. Retirees especially. If I was retired and could cruise anytime I would certainly take up an offer of a free cruise.

A friend of mine was booked on Pacific Pearl's Australia Day cruise next weekend and last week got a call offering a full refund and free cruise if they cancell. They took up the offer.

They should change their booking system, to one where when booking you know you may not be able to get onboard. Something like a shortlist and as cabins become available they go down the list adding them into the rooms.

Also a little thing I learnt on the Radiance is that it is possible to get a extremely cheap cruise or even a free cruise in a suite. For suite members you can go see the concierge towards the end of the cruise to see if their are any places on the next cruise, if their are you could stay onboard for free or at little cost. May also work for regular guests as well.

They never used to overbook when real people were employed to do the booking and allocation of cabins . Now the computer works out all the odds and comes up with configurations , and then the real people have to come back and sort it all out:D:D;)

They never used to overbook when real people were employed to do the booking and allocation of cabins .

that is very true - that used to be my job way back when, and I never had to call people to kick them off a cruise, only call them to tell them their waitlist or standby booking could now be confirmed!

It's true that there are no-shows, but there are also issues with cabins onboard before and during the cruise. A few extra empty give them the flexibility to deal with passengers who have issues around/in their cabin, e.g. water leaks, plumbing and other issues.

Archived