Amalfi Coast - Equinox Cruise

Oceangoer2

I've read on the "Europe" board that Naples isn't easily visited and that X skips Amalfi Coast tours. I'm wondering if that is due to the Costa Concordia's near-submersion. Does anyone know if the Equinox comes anywhere near sighting distance of this horrible happening? We're taking the cruise from Barcelona in Sept. which goes around Italy and passes the Amalfi coast.

Thanks again for any insight one of you multi-travelled folks can provide and excuse my ignorance if I haven't used the correct geographical terms as we haven't been across the waters before and really looking forward to our first European trip!

Isn't Naples one of your ports?

I can assure you that the Amalfi Coast is a popular, spectacular place, with many choices of excursions: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi.... Naples herself has an outstanding museum and the best pizza ever!

I would suggest going to your roll call. You'll find excursions being planned by fellow cruisers, or, if you prefer, you can take a ship's excursion.

There's no need to fear for your safety sailing about Italy.

I don't know how true that is? I think lots of itineraries still include Naples? That was one of our ports last summer. Our port was Naples and from Naples we went to Pompeii, drove along the Almafi coast with stops in Positano and Sorrento. We were on the Solstice.

Thanks for your reply. That's the itinerary I meant. Port is Naples and from there travel to Pompeii and the A coast. Just wondered if in cruising to Naples we pass the town of Positano where the CConcordia is marooned and if it can be seen from the ship. I would think they'd keep the ship well away from sight of that disaster as it would remind us of what 'could' happen. Did you book the drive/tour through X or was this a private company or self-rental car?

The Costa Concordia is marooned near the city of "Porto Santo Stefano" which is not on the Amalfi Coast, but north of Rome off the Argentario Peninsula. And no you will not pass near the wreck.

Thanks you! I was certainly misinformed as to the location of the 'ship'. The press has mostly cited Positano. Looking forward to seeing Pompeii and thereabouts.

We were on the Equinox in August (Eastern Med, Istanbul) and our last stop was Naples. Although you can certainly stay in Naples itself, I would get out of the city and at least visit Pompeii. We rented a private van for 8 (coordinated through the Roll Call) and toured the Amalfi Coast: Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, and Sorrento. It was gorgeous! I would NOT recommend driving yourself- the roads were narrow, windy and packed with traffic. Enjoy!! :)

Thanks for your reply. That's the itinerary I meant. Port is Naples and from there travel to Pompeii and the A coast. Just wondered if in cruising to Naples we pass the town of Positano where the CConcordia is marooned and if it can be seen from the ship. I would think they'd keep the ship well away from sight of that disaster as it would remind us of what 'could' happen. Did you book the drive/tour through X or was this a private company or self-rental car?

Ok. I think the Concordia is more north, near Rome. We did stop in Rome too but no, you cannot see the wreck from the ship. In Rome we stopped in Livorno (Pisa/Florence), Rome, Naples, and Venice. Therefore we sailed down the coast and you will not see the wreck. The ship at times does sail VERY close to shore which I think is awesome!

We booked through Rome in Limo which I cannot stress enough HOW MUCH WE LOVED RIL. I would really suggest you read my review from our day in Naples (we also used RIL in Rome and Florence). However I will give you the link to the page that starts my Naples part of the review (including Pompeii, A Coast, etc.). i talk in DETAIL about our tours in my review. RIL was worth every penny in our eyes. And in some cases was cheaper than the ship tours.

scroll down to post 85, that starts my review of Naples day http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=5

In this post you can see just how close the ship is to the coast at times:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35784586&postcount=193

Scroll down to post 74 for Rome:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=4

Scroll down to post 50 for Florence and Pisa:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=3

Hope this helped you some :D

We are on your cruise in September, and are looking forward to visiting Naples!

Me too....after seeing "Cruisingatorgirl's" photos from links in her email, I'm now super excited. I don't want to see too much though as it kind of spoils the surprise and oohs and aahs! Have you joined the roll call and/or the Connections party?

Me too....after seeing "Cruisingatorgirl's" photos from links in her email, I'm now super excited. I don't want to see too much though as it kind of spoils the surprise and oohs and aahs! Have you joined the roll call and/or the Connections party?

I know what you mean about the oohs an aahs! I did not watch any TV specials on Pompeii because I wanted to be totally surprised :D Good strategy! If you have any questions about tours or Rome in Limo let me know :) Have a great trip! Report back to us on how it was!

I know what you mean about the oohs an aahs! I did not watch any TV specials on Pompeii because I wanted to be totally surprised :D Good strategy! If you have any questions about tours or Rome in Limo let me know :) Have a great trip! Report back to us on how it was!

I've heard about the Rome/Limo company and how good it was. I'll check it out on the web...probably better to join with a group for best price. I see you were engaged on your cruise...set a date and possibly a 'honeymoom cruise'?

I've heard about the Rome/Limo company and how good it was. I'll check it out on the web...probably better to join with a group for best price. I see you were engaged on your cruise...set a date and possibly a 'honeymoom cruise'?

We booked with http://www.johnnystourservice.com/excursions_amalfi.htm and going to do Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello. His rates were reasonable -- 380 Euro for 8 people for an all-day tour. Pick up and drop off at the pier.

We used :)Romeinlomo for both Naples, where we went to the Amalfi coast and Florence where we went to Pisa and Lucca. Fabulous tours!!!! If you go on their site you can see if a private tour has been set up for your cruise and then join it . They use Mercedes vans. We liked the groups of 8. They can drive places the large buses cannot,

You can set one up yourself and make changes to a regular tour to suit yourself, then leave it open for others to join.

Yes go to their website. Jany is who you will e-mail and Jany will respond back very quickly with any questions you have! They arranged for us to have an amazing lunch in Positano we will never forget, lunch of a lifetime!

Yes! We are getting married November 30th of this year. I just found out I got a full-time teaching position so now we will be able to afford to go back on Celebrity for our honeymoon :D We are hoping to go summer 2014 on an Eastern Med cruise!

We used Romeinlomo for both Naples, where we went to the Amalfi coast and Florence where we went to Pisa and Lucca. Fabulous tours!!!! If you go on their site you can see if a private tour has been set up for your cruise and then join it . They use Mercedes vans. We liked the groups of 8. They can drive places the large buses cannot, You can set one up yourself and make changes to a regular tour to suit yourself, then leave it open for others to join.

Isn't Naples one of your ports? I can assure you that the Amalfi Coast is a popular, spectacular place, with many choices of excursions: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi.... Naples herself has an outstanding museum and the best pizza ever! I would suggest going to your roll call. You'll find excursions being planned by fellow cruisers, or, if you prefer, you can take a ship's excursion. There's no need to fear for your safety sailing about Italy.

Like gold1953, we used RomeInLimo and were super pleased. As you can see on my live/blog below, we had a wonderfully great day with our private group of eight in Mercedes van. In this spectacular area (which also visited in 1999 for four days during a land trip), you can see it "ALL" or even half or a quarter during just one port day. You need to figure out what is most important, needed to fit your personal interests. We did Pompeii in 1999. Below is some more info that unique setting with so much REAL HISTORY!! Our visit to Herculaneum is detailed on the live/blog connected below.

Pompeii is super awesome. Why??? It is so unique and historic. It gives you a keen insight about how people lived and operated during that long-ago era. My most memorable moment was in walking into Pompeii and noticing certain grooves in the stone pavement. I asked our guide what caused those marking in the stone. Our guide replied: "That's from the chariots." WOW! It became very, very visual for where we were walking and what had happened here long, long ago.

Visiting the brothel house was also super interesting. Our guide pointed to the seven different visuals on the wall that provide "customers" a choice on what position they wished to choose. They needed to use visuals there as sailors from all of the world visited Pompeii and its port in that era. They didn't speak the local language. Our guide in 1999 said on one of the wall visuals that it was the "Monica Lewinsky position". He noted that people from all over the world touring this site knew what that phrase meant, nodding and smiling, regardless of their language spoken. Interesting little detail and moment!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,948 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As he drove through the “Little Switzerland” mountains from our docking location in Naples towards the Amalfi Coast, our RomeInLimo Driver Carmine was singing, telling us fun stories, making sure we did the right and best scenic photo stops, etc.:

NaplesCarmineDrivingMtns.jpg

Ravello sits high above the water overlooking the great views of the Amalfi Coast. This charming town of 2500 people has many interesting buildings. Shown is a sample of its structures, flowers and views to nearby, terraced hillsides. In the summer months, the "Ravello Festival" takes place in Ravello. The Festival started in 1953 in honor of Richard Wagner, who did inspired writing at this location. Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter location against Barbarian invaders at the end of the Western Roman Empire. In the 9th century Ravello was an important town of the maritime republic of Amalfi. In the 20th century, many famous artists, including Virginia Woolf, Greta Garbo, Joan Mirò, Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams and Leonard Bernstein, visited and stayed in Ravello.:

RavelloFlowersBldgViews.jpg

At Ravello as we did a private tour along the super scenic Amalfi Coast, we visited several nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop. Taking these ceramics back is great way to keep these trip memories alive and well, year after year.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

Along the Amalfi coast, here is the luxury hotel where Hillary Clinton stayed as First Lady when visiting this scenic area.:

AmalfiHillaryLuxHotel.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Driving up from Positano to our dining place, this was one of the many great views of this charming town, its buildings and the water.:

PositanoDrivingUpMtn.jpg

Archived