Art on Riviera

digtexas

As those of you who have sailed on the Riviera know, the ship is filled with interesting original artwork, both paintings and sculptures, some of it quite beautiful and just about all of it interesting. One of my friends who sailed with us recently suggested that O emphasize or showcase the art by having a docent or host from the ship lead tours of the art. I thought that this was a great idea, or that perhaps O could provide a print out and pax could go on self guided tours, or some other alternative.

I communicated my thoughts on this to FDR (who is reputed to have personally selected all of the pieces of art) and he informed me that many passengers have expressed interest in learning more about the art on board and that the issue is being addressed already. First of all, plaques will be placed by the pieces to identify each work of art and O is implementing self-guided audio tours explaining each work, which you will be able to download into your iPod or iPad.

Sounds like a great idea to me and I look forward to taking the tour next time I am back on board.

First of all, plaques will be placed by the pieces to identify each work of art and O is implementing self-guided audio tours explaining each work, which you will be able to download into your iPod or iPad.

Sounds like a good idea to have the plaques beside the artwork

Cintipam ( I think it was her) had suggested before to have a booklet with the location & information on the art piece so people could do their own tour

Not everyone has an Ipad or I pod ..hard to believe I know;)

I look forward to viewing the artworks on Riveria

Lyn

Sounds like a good idea to have the plaques beside the artwork

Cintipam ( I think it was her) had suggested before to have a booklet with the location & information on the art piece so people could do their own tour

Not everyone has an Ipad or I pod ..hard to believe I know;)

I look forward to viewing the artworks on Riveria

Lyn

Lyn, you have a great memory.:) I suggested this after my fabulous Marina cruise in June 2011 and included that suggestion in the comments form I completed for Oceania. There is some fantastic art on that ship. I am a docent at the Cincinnati Art Museum and know that people would appreciate more information about the artwork.

Thanks for the news that they are working on both placing information plaques by the art and a self-guided tour in mp3 (or such) format. I will enjoy 'taking a tour' but having information cards is likely to be most used. Just passing something eye catching and want to know more. It is small things like this (and big things like the excellent and interesting artwork) that keeps us coming back to O.

Lyn, you have a great memory.:) I suggested this after my fabulous Marina cruise in June 2011 and included that suggestion in the comments form I completed for Oceania. There is some fantastic art on that ship. I am a docent at the Cincinnati Art Museum and know that people would appreciate more information about the artwork.

Yes it works most of the time but age is getting the better of my memory on some days ;)

That would be a good job for you on the ships....HINT HINT FDR :D

Lyn

Pam,

I have a question for you regarding your recent experience on Azamara--your posted comments on the experience have been very evenhanded--and a past itinerary that I would like to ask you about. If you could, please send me an email/at/petrer/@/onebane/dot/com. Thanks.

Richard

Yes it works most of the time but age is getting the better of my memory on some days ;)

That would be a good job for you on the ships....HINT HINT FDR :D

Lyn

On the Christening of the Marina FDR and I spoke about docents on the O ships and I can tell you , sorry to say, it will never happen..

Jancruz1

On the Christening of the Marina FDR and I spoke about docents on the O ships and I can tell you , sorry to say, it will never happen..

Jancruz1

I was thinking more along the lines of doing the booklet with descriptions ..not a life long cruise job like the blogger

I still do not get that one:confused:

Lyn

Pam,

I have a question for you regarding your recent experience on Azamara--your posted comments on the experience have been very evenhanded--and a past itinerary that I would like to ask you about. If you could, please send me an email/at/petrer/@/onebane/dot/com. Thanks.

Richard

Hi, Richard, I will be happy to share my recent Azamara positive experience; I was too lazy to post a complete review, so I owe you one!

Pam

Archived