Misplaced Passports! - Query

Hi,

My husband and I are both Aussies, doing the QLD RCI cruise on Rhapsody at the end of March.

My query is, I can't find my passport, do I really need it for this cruise? I am 99% sure it is at home somewhere.

We did the Voyager Singapore to Perth last year, I remember having the passports when we got off the ship, I am 99% sure we had them when we went to the airport in Perth (I am sure the tickets for the flight back to Sydney were with them), I just can't remember after that. We were sick by the time we got hom, I remember unpacking and just chucking stuff everywhere.

I really thought I had put them away in our usual spot, but they aren't there. Going room for room checking everything before I report them missing.

It was when I went to do checkin on RCI that I realised I didn't have them. Checkin asks for ID, the only option given is Passport, but surely, as we aren't actually getting off the ship anywhere that isn't in Australian Waters, we should be fine?

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi,

My husband and I are both Aussies, doing the QLD RCI cruise on Rhapsody at the end of March.

My query is, I can't find my passport, do I really need it for this cruise? I am 99% sure it is at home somewhere.

We did the Voyager Singapore to Perth last year, I remember having the passports when we got off the ship, I am 99% sure we had them when we went to the airport in Perth (I am sure the tickets for the flight back to Sydney were with them), I just can't remember after that. We were sick by the time we got hom, I remember unpacking and just chucking stuff everywhere.

I really thought I had put them away in our usual spot, but they aren't there. Going room for room checking everything before I report them missing.

It was when I went to do checkin on RCI that I realised I didn't have them. Checkin asks for ID, the only option given is Passport, but surely, as we aren't actually getting off the ship anywhere that isn't in Australian Waters, we should be fine?

Anyone got any ideas?

no you dont need your passport, ID is enough as you are not leaving australian waters

no you dont need your passport, ID is enough as you are not leaving australian waters

Depends if the cruise takes in scenic cruising of Willis Island. Thats International Waters. They go there so they can sell duty free and also so that the cruise is an International one and not a local one which would attract Australian GST, and thus make it more expensive for both the cruise line and passengers.

NO you do not need a passport as you are not vising a foreign port, this is a copy & paste from the p&o site

For domestic cruises (cruises that do not visit a foreign port), a valid passport or government issued photo identification is required (Queensland ‘Adult Proof of Age Card’ will be accepted, however the older version of Queensland ‘Card 18+’ will not be accepted). For Australian domestic cruises, a current Medicare card can be used for passengers under 18 years of age. For New Zealand domestic cruises, an original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate or a school pass with photo will be accepted for passengers under 18 years of age

Unable to tell you which online agency i got this from however it's said to be owned by RCCL so would have to be right....lol...........

Will I need a passport?

If you are going to an international destination: All passengers need to have a valid passport, including passengers under the age of 18, valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond the date of the cruise return.

If you are going on a coastal cruise from Australia: Australian residents do not need a passport or visa for any cruise that does not visit a foreign port; however, government issued photo identification is required (Queensland Proof of Age cards will not be accepted). A current Medicare card can be used for passengers under 18 years of age.

Thanks, I didn't really think we did need one. We have done this cruise before (and yes, it does scenic cruising of Willis Island), however I don't remember handing over my passport for that one.

It is just frustrating because I can't complete online checkin as it is asking for Identification with a drop down box of one item - passport!

Back to the hunt. Really don't want to get new ones, too expensive, but don't want to leave it too long incase I did leave them somewhere like Perth Airport......

I'm only going to say what most others have said and that is NO, you do not need one. We have done this cruise and although we used passports (we did it as the second leg of B2B and needed them for the first cruise), the friends that joined us for the QLD coastal cruise did not have passports. The adults used their driver's licence & they used their medicare card for the kids. And yes, we did the scenic cruising of Willis Island so we were able to buy duty free.

If it didn't pass Willis Island, you'd be fine. But given it's going in international waters, technically I wouldn't risk it. Regarding others previous experiences, things are changing all the time and they're cracking down so what may have been skipped before isn't necessarily the same now. For example, you could buy alcohol and tobacco on the domestic cruises before but they've put a stop to that as the numbers have increased.

Better he sorts it out now, then turns up at check-in without a passport and is denied boarding.

If it didn't pass Willis Island, you'd be fine. But given it's going in international waters, technically I wouldn't risk it. Regarding others previous experiences, things are changing all the time and they're cracking down so what may have been skipped before isn't necessarily the same now. For example, you could buy alcohol and tobacco on the domestic cruises before but they've put a stop to that as the numbers have increased.

Better he sorts it out now, then turns up at check-in without a passport and is denied boarding.

Big M you are not going to a foreign port so you dont need a passport, a drivers licence is ok

most of the cruises that go around Australia call into Indonesia and you can duty free so you need a passport for those cruises

Big M you are not going to a foreign port so you dont need a passport, a drivers licence is ok

most of the cruises that go around Australia call into Indonesia and you can duty free so you need a passport for those cruises

Given it's classed as an international cruise for Customs and Immigration purposes I wouldn't be so sure a passport is not required.

Given it's classed as an international cruise for Customs and Immigration purposes I wouldn't be so sure a passport is not required.

A drivers licence will be fine...they are not landing in any foreign port...Willis Island is a sailby a rock in the middle of nothing.

However it is going to cost you if you dont find your passports...there is an automatic fine for lost passports now as well as the replacement cost. These are important documents that need to be kept in a safe place at all times.

Sue

However it is going to cost you if you dont find your passports...there is an automatic fine for lost passports now as well as the replacement cost. These are important documents that need to be kept in a safe place at all times.Sue

Thats what I was wondering...

If you have not got them....Who has??????:eek::eek:

I have done this cruise and did not need a passport.

For domestic cruises (cruises that do not visit a foreign port), a valid passport or government issued photo identification is required (Queensland ‘Adult Proof of Age Card’ will be accepted, however the older version of Queensland ‘Card 18+’ will not be accepted). For Australian domestic cruises, a current Medicare card can be used for passengers under 18 years of age. For New Zealand domestic cruises, an original or certified copy of the child’s birth certificate or a school pass with photo will be accepted for passengers under 18 years of age.

Thats what I was wondering...

If you have not got them....Who has??????:eek::eek:

I know they aren't being used internationally! Spoke to Immigration today, haven't been used since we used them. Spoke to DFAT, they haven't had them handed in. Spoke to airline and airports, nothing there. Waiting on motel. Figure if they aren't at those places, they have to be in the house somewhere or they got thrown out. We were so sick when we came back last time, wondering if I threw things out by mistake......

I am normally so good with them, they go back into the same place after we have used them each time.

Back to turning the house inside out. It is going to cost us $343 each to get new ones (cost of new passport plus lost charges).

Have also emailed RCI and TA to double check. I have a copy of them, just not the blasted passports.

Hi there!

I had a similar query for a family member who did NOT have a passport so I rang RCCL and asked how I was going to complete the online check-in a print out a Sail-Pass.

They told me to just enter the drivers licence number - the long one shown and that would work!

It worked fine!:D

Gae

As someone who does check in for RCI at the OPT I can tell you that you do not need a passport for this cruise. It makes check in a touch faster if you have a passport as we can scan it as opposed to typing in the drivers licence / ID details but from a "legal" aspect there is no problem.

As someone who does check in for RCI at the OPT I can tell you that you do not need a passport for this cruise. It makes check in a touch faster if you have a passport as we can scan it as opposed to typing in the drivers licence / ID details but from a "legal" aspect there is no problem.

I have a friend who also does checkin:)

I know they aren't being used internationally! Spoke to Immigration today, haven't been used since we used them. Spoke to DFAT, they haven't had them handed in. Spoke to airline and airports, nothing there. Waiting on motel. Figure if they aren't at those places, they have to be in the house somewhere or they got thrown out. We were so sick when we came back last time, wondering if I threw things out by mistake......

I am normally so good with them, they go back into the same place after we have used them each time.

Back to turning the house inside out. It is going to cost us $343 each to get new ones (cost of new passport plus lost charges).

Have also emailed RCI and TA to double check. I have a copy of them, just not the blasted passports.

Did you have document wallets or anything for your last trip? I couldn't find ours recently and that's where they were. Otherwise have you checked all the bags you took?

We are going on a 7 night costal passing willis island, no passports. I also rang P & O and confirmed this.

If you are visiting Willis Island A passport is the preferred form of identification. However, Customs have advised that a valid photo driver's licence is also acceptable. For passengers under 18 years of age a current Medicare card and/or a birth certificate (certified copy is sufficient) is an accepted form of identification

Taken from the P & O Website. But guessing it maybe different for other cruise lines.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/AlreadyBooked/CruiseHandbook/Pages/WillIneedapassport.aspx

Thanks everyone.

Yes, have had confirmation from RCI that D/L is enough.

I had the passports in a travel wallet. I can remember getting them back from customs when we were on Voyager of the Seas coming back into Australia in November (Singapore - Perth cruise), that is honestly the last definite time I remember having them.

I am 99% positive they are in the house. If they aren't in the house, they have been thrown out - by mistake. Could have fallen into a bin or bag and gotten tossed. Am working my way slowly through the house, literally emptying every box/bag/item and moving every piece of furniture. Time consuming but atleast I am being careful and if I don't find them then, will have to get new ones.

Archived