blue glass blocking view on deck

fireflymd

What's with the blue glass on some of the decks of Princess ships?

Safety but still being able to see through it to see out to sea. I think it's supposed to have a quality that makes it hard to see through from the other side at most angels but don't quote me on that. I don't find it that intrusive at all, in fact I find when on my balcony it cuts down on some glare.

They're mostly used as windbreaks. Some Princess ships have quite a bit of it, such as the Coral Princess. The Golden didn't have nearly as much. I agree that it blocks the view. But there are other parts of the ship that just have a standard railing. I always search them out the first day onboard. I enjoy watching us arrive in port, and those blue glass windbreaks really are annoying. Here's what they look like on the Coral Princess forward:

7187210253_3ff1790bfb_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

But it does make taking decent photographs almost impossible.
Exactly! Especially when going through the Panama Canal, which the Coral and Island were built for. Having all that blocking blue glass all the way forward makes it difficult to get decent shots from the upper decks going through the canal. That's why I spent most of the day out the "secret door" on Deck 11. Most of the Grand class ships have that wonderful observation deck above the bridge, with no blue glass. But somehow, the Coral and Island, which could have really benefited from that in the Canal, don't have one.

Exactly! Especially when going through the Panama Canal, which the Coral and Island were built for. Having all that blocking blue glass all the way forward makes it difficult to get decent shots from the upper decks going through the canal. That's why I spent most of the day out the "secret door" on Deck 11. Most of the Grand class ships have that wonderful observation deck above the bridge, with no blue glass. But somehow, the Coral and Island, which could have really benefited from that in the Canal, don't have one.

Same for the Ocean Princess and the Pacific Princess, blue glass for all the forward looking public views with no secret door to any view forward.

They're mostly used as windbreaks. Some Princess ships have quite a bit of it, such as the Coral Princess. The Golden didn't have nearly as much. I agree that it blocks the view. But there are other parts of the ship that just have a standard railing. I always search them out the first day onboard. I enjoy watching us arrive in port, and those blue glass windbreaks really are annoying. Here's what they look like on the Coral Princess forward:

AHHH, this is my secret quite spot, I spent many hours laying out and reading here, almost always by myself!!

As for the blue glass it did make for terrible pics going through the canal, but there are a lot of other spot on the ship to take pics from.

Ah, a windbreak! Thanks, this is exactly what I was asking about. I read somewhere on this forum that there are decks on the back of the boat that are unobstructed. Good point about scoping out the other parts of the ship. Will definitely do that!

Ah, a windbreak! Thanks, this is exactly what I was asking about. I read somewhere on this forum that there are decks on the back of the boat that are unobstructed. Good point about scoping out the other parts of the ship. Will definitely do that!
How much blue glass there is depends on what ship you're sailing on. The Coral had a lot, the Golden not nearly as much. Usually mid-ship port and starboard is blue glass free. Promenade Deck is always a good spot, and many ships have a wrap around area all the way forward on Promenade that is a great place for viewing.

5454176642_cb4803b9b7_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Another great place is the above the bridge viewing area. Not every ship has one, and sometimes it's closed by the Captain. But when it's open, it's the best place to be:

6810646968_2d1d091201_z.jpg

Golden Princess - Alaska by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Promenade Deck is always a good spot, and many ships have a wrap around area all the way forward on Promenade that is a great place for viewing.

Another great place is the above the bridge viewing area. Not every ship has one, and sometimes it's closed by the Captain. But when it's open, it's the best place to be:

Unfortuneately, neither of these will exist on the new Royal Princess.

Unfortuneately, neither of these will exist on the new Royal Princess.

True, but there are NINE Grand-class ships to choose from should you absolutely require this feature. ;) And even though the Coral and Island have a 360 degree promenade there is no bow viewing area like on the Grand-class as it doesn't go that far forward (it tunnels under the forward superstructure). Same goes for the three Sun-class. And folks just love the Ocean and Pacific Princess and they barely even have any promenade deck at all. Sure they are hand me downs, but I don't hear those cruisers complain too much about 'no promenade'. :D

Thankfully balconies on ships like the Pacific have no glass at all. This is such a plus when trying to take sun on the balcony and relying on the added reflective light upon the waters. We have never had such a tan. But the big plus is that one can comfortably place one's feet up on the steel rod railing. Try that with a glass wall...

How much blue glass there is depends on what ship you're sailing on. The Coral had a lot, the Golden not nearly as much. Usually mid-ship port and starboard is blue glass free. Promenade Deck is always a good spot, and many ships have a wrap around area all the way forward on Promenade that is a great place for viewing.

I see--we will be travelling on the Coral Princess. I hope we are able to find some viewing areas without the blue glass.

Assuming its the kind of glass I think it is, the blue comes from an add-in during the forming process that makes it stronger than standard tempered glass (I want to say its a cobalt alloy but I am nowhere near sure).

The way the frame is built in certain areas of different ships may call for the tougher glass.

I see--we will be travelling on the Coral Princess. I hope we are able to find some viewing areas without the blue glass.
On the Coral Princess the entire forward section of the upper decks has that tall blue glass. However, from about mid-ship (above the main pool area) all the way to the rear of the ship, the railing is lower, and you can get very good views from the upper deck. Here are a few shots of that area:

7377263216_55142fa8b9_z.jpg

7375221456_56866400c0_z.jpg

Also, if you're going through the Panama Canal, the best place to be on the ship is through the "secret door". Go all the way forward on either Baja Deck 11 or Caribe Deck 10. You will see some doors that look like you're not supposed to go through. Head on through them and you'll find yourself here:

7228437002_e50caba7de_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gatun Locks by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7426842380_e038e8c767_z.jpg

Panama Canal: Gamboa by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Thankfully balconies on ships like the Pacific have no glass at all. This is such a plus when trying to take sun on the balcony and relying on the added reflective light upon the waters. We have never had such a tan. But the big plus is that one can comfortably place one's feet up on the steel rod railing. Try that with a glass wall...

Thankfully balconies comes in all sizes, shapes, and forms, for a wide variety of cruisers and uses. The in-hull balconies (also referred to as a 'sheltered balcony') on ships like Queen Mary 2 and Carnival Breeze seem pretty popular as well, and you get a solid steel bulkhead instead of glass or a handrail with a rod railing.

There are open decks on both the Coral and Island fore and aft on Baja and Caribe decks plus some others. Some of the doors have signs to keep them closed, but some few ignore the signs and go out there anyway. They post on CC and boast about it.

The signs are to keep the doors closed, not to prevent passage. I assumed for HVAC reasons as there were loungers on the rear deck the last time we were on The Island.

Mike:)

Archived