New to Cruising concerns

Hello, We are about to be taking our first cruise. There is definately alot to learn. One of my concerns is the onboard account. We don't have a bunch of high limit credit cards. I have seen horror stories on CC about using debit cards. I did my online check-in yesterday and chose cash option for the account. On Mariner, do they ask for a deposit up front or do they just let you pay the balance at the end? We are thrify vacationers, meaning, we do alot of things for ourselves and don't spend excessive amounts of money when we go somewhere. I wouldn't expect to spend more than a couple hundred bucks onboard. We are not high level shoppers and just don't require much to have a good time. I don't want to tie up $500-$800 for an account deposit that we could spend somewhere else. This cruise is special for us as we normally don't do things that cost this much for vacation. Usually go to motorcycle rallies or use our timeshare within a few hundred miles. Never vacationed outside of the country since Cancun on honeymoon 17 years ago. Jobs usually prevented it.

Tipping is another issue since,again, we do most everything for ourselves. If I want a cup of coffee, I go get it. I may not even see the staff of the dining room if we eat mostly at Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. I do understand the part about tipping room stewards well so they take care of your' needs. I do tip well to people I get good service from, but I don't feel it is my responsibility to augment the salary of the crew because the cruise line doesn't pay well. In other words, if I dont see the maitre de (spelling?) but once on the cruise, I am not tipping him for all 7 days. Is that an acceptable way to look at it ? I mean, if you order something to go in a restuarant on land, I dont tip the waitress because I didn't even use her services.

We also are not booking excursions up-front because my wife uses a wheelchair and not sure what she could do at the ports. Don't want to book something only to find it hard to get handicapped transportation and can't go to the excursion. We will more than likely explore areas close to port with our friends that are going with us since it is our first cruise and don't want to get stuck way off when it is time to get back to the ship. IOW, get used to how it all works now, and do more on the next cruise. I understand you can get some deals on excursions in the port areas but you risk them being fully booked. Is that accurate?

We are going to Falmouth,Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel during April. Is there any "Beware of's or Stay away froms " in those ports? Again, we are mostly interested in smalls shopping ( rum cakes,t-shirts,and local items) and photogaphy.

Sorry for being so long winded, and I probably didn't even scratch the surface on things I need to know, But that's what this forum is for. Thanks, and safe sailings to all.

Tipping is a funny thing. Even if you don't personally see a person doesn't mean they aren't hard at work for you.

If you don't do to the Main Dining Room once on your cruise, you should still tip, and here is why. The same people that serve in the MDR also serve you in Windjammer, where tips aren't expected. The head waiter will be directing, and leading a crew of waiters, and assistant waiters in Windjammer to ensure you have a clean table to sit at, and drinks are available. You may get your own cup of coffee, but one of the above mentioned people make sure there is cream, sugar, cups, and the coffee is made.

I would suggest the pre-paid tips, if you don't plan on eating in the dining room. That will make sure you have everyone covered that has worked for you on your cruise.

If you're only putting a couple of hundred dollars on your seapass card there's no need for a high limit credit card, they don't put a hold on it, just settle at the end of the week for what you've spent so use a credit card on your account instead of a debit card for simplicity.

If you want to pay in cash at the end you can just go to guest services to close out your account before departing the ship.

Hello, We are about to be taking our first cruise. There is definately alot to learn. One of my concerns is the onboard accout. We don't have a bunch of high limit credit cards. I have seen horror stories on CC about using debit cards. I did my online check-in yesterday and chose cash option for the account. On Mariner, do the ask for a deposit up front or do they just let you pay the balance at the end?

Set up as cash like you have done on your online check-in. They will allow you to charge up to $500 without putting anything "down" although I recommend sometime on the first or second day to go to Guest Services and put down $200 or so. On the last day, you will go back and settle up before 11:00pm (either get a refund or pay the remaining amount).

Tipping is another issue since,again, we do most everything for ourselves. If I want a cup of coffee, I go get it. I may not even see the staff of the dining room if we eat mostly at Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. I do understand the part about tipping room stewards well so they take care of your' needs. I do tip well to people I get good service from, but I don't feel it is my responsibility to augment the salary of the crew because the cruise line doesn't pay well. In other words, if I dont see the maitre de (spelling?) but once on the cruise, I am not tipping him for all 7 days. Is that an acceptable way to look at it ? I mean, if you order something to go in a restuarant on land, I dont tip the waitress because I didn't even use her services.

This is a topic I highly recommend to read other threads around. You will not get any sympathy from most of us around not paying the full tips. Even though you may not "see" or use the head waiter, etc. the tips are pooled so those that are serving you in windjammer, Cafe Promenade, etc get some of those tips. I understand the thought process on "augmenting salaries" unfortunately, that is how the system is set up. If you have traditional dining you can adjust the tips how you see fit, but remember that the money goes to everyone on board. Just don't look for anyone to tell you it's OK to not tip, that won't happen.

We also are not booking excursions up-front because my wife uses a wheelchair and not sure what she could do at the ports. Don't want to book something only to find it hard to get handicapped transportation and can't go to the excursion. We will more than likely explore areas close to port with our friends that are going with us since it is our first cruise and don't want to get stuck way off when it is time to get back to the ship. IOW, get used to how it all works now, and do more on the next cruise. I understand you can get some deals on excursions in the port areas but you risk them being fully booked. Is that accurate?

You do run the risk of excursions being fully booked when you arrive. I have not personally found great deals independently after arriving at port--and it can eat up a lot of your time trying to determine what to do if you are planning on an excursion for the day. I would recommend reading the port boards here on CC. I believe there is also a HC board that might be helpful for which tours are most accommodating.

We are going to Falmouth,Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel during April. Is there any "Beware of's or Stay away froms " in those ports? Again, we are mostly interested in smalls shopping ( rum cakes,t-shirts,and local items) and photogaphy.

Cozumel is the best port (in my opinion) for shopping. There is quite a large store complex just off the ship that would be relatively easy to get around (although it is crowded). In order to get to the downtown shops, you would need to take a taxi and I'm not sure how easy that would be with a wheel chair-although I am sure it is possible. I would not recommend going outside of the gates in Falmouth just because of the deluge of people. Coz is safe to do, but not much outside of the gates without getting in a cab and going downtown. Grand Cayman has a lot of shopping as well and your tender will let you off right in the middle of it all.

Sorry for being so long winded, and I probably didn't even scratch the surface on things I need to know, But that's what this forum is for. Thanks, and safe sailings to all.

I tried to help above.

Hello, We are about to be taking our first cruise. There is definately alot to learn. One of my concerns is the onboard account. We don't have a bunch of high limit credit cards. I have seen horror stories on CC about using debit cards. I did my online check-in yesterday and chose cash option for the account. On Mariner, do they ask for a deposit up front or do they just let you pay the balance at the end? We are thrify vacationers, meaning, we do alot of things for ourselves and don't spend excessive amounts of money when we go somewhere. I wouldn't expect to spend more than a couple hundred bucks onboard. We are not high level shoppers and just don't require much to have a good time. I don't want to tie up $500-$800 for an account deposit that we could spend somewhere else. This cruise is special for us as we normally don't do things that cost this much for vacation. Usually go to motorcycle rallies or use our timeshare within a few hundred miles. Never vacationed outside of the country since Cancun on honeymoon 17 years ago. Jobs usually prevented it.

First of all, congrats on taking your first cruise! My first Royal Caribbean ship was Mariner and she's great. Lots of stuff to see and do on that ship that doesn't cost money.

Second, if you haven't checked out the Roll Call for your cruise, here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524076

Third, if you already know you aren't big spenders then I wouldn't be panicked about ending your cruise with a $500 - 800 bill. My last cruise on Jewel of the Seas I walked off with a bill of under $200 and that was only because I spent over $100 on the photos which I must get for my scrapbooks. Otherwise, if you aren't heavy drinkers you should be fine. My mom walked off the Jewel cruise with a bill of $100. It can be done.

Fourth, if you're thinking of doing any shore excursions you might look into prebooking and prepaying for them now. Or don't do any shore excursions. My roommate and I didn't do any on our Adventure cruise in 2011 and had a lovely time just window shopping in the port area then returning to the ship where it was nice and quiet.

Fifth, if I remember correctly, you will need to take a taxi into the downtown Cozumel area. I think it will be too far with a wheelchair from the port area. I haven't been there since 2006 and there was a lot of construction going on then.

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are others who will pipe in with more info. I've never done the cash only cruise so I can't give you any advice where that is concerned.

Theresa

JYD Hawkeye,

first relax, you are planning a vacation and don't forget to have fun. On the topic of onboard account, you will need a credit card to secure it. This is only if you skip out on the bill in which case you will probably not be allowed to leave. There was no authorization amount on mine and at the end I paid my account with cash, no problem. Tipping is a personal choice and I understand where you are coming from, however even if eating in the windjammer there is staff setting up and clearing tables for you, serving food and assisting everyone to make the experience more enjoyable for all. This is accomplished by the entire waitstaff. They all deserve the tip. The easiest way is to prepay you gratuties and then not think about it. I see this as part of the cost of a cruise and the work they put in seen or unseen is to make your vacation more enjoyable. For excursions, do some research in the port section on cruisecritic and ask about accessable excursions. If you wait to get to port there is always the risk that everything is booked especially with your needs. We have been to all the ports you are visiting and there is no security concerns beyond use common sense. The port areas are very nice and will serve your small shopping needs well. Grand Cayman is a port where you will be tendered to shore, FYI all others are docked and easily accessable. My best advise, plan early to eliminate worries. Cruise critic offers a wealth of information

If you're only putting a couple of hundred dollars on your seapass card there's no need for a high limit credit card, they don't put a hold on it, just settle at the end of the week for what you've spent so use a credit card on your account instead of a debit card for simplicity.

If you want to pay in cash at the end you can just go to guest services to close out your account before departing the ship.

So I can put a CC down for the account, regardless of the available balance, and then pay cash at the end on the last night?

I agree - just prepay your tips and forget about it and relax and enjoy your vacation - don't even try to keep a scorecard about who did what for you and how much it was worth. A cruise ship is an alternative universe where things work a little differently and often a lot less personally. One of the joys of cruising is the cashless world where you don't have to reach in your pocket and tip someone every time you get any kind of service. I think of it as the crew team who are always there to assist you in some way and the cruiser team who pays the recommended tips. If everyone does their job for their team, then everyone is happy.

JYD Hawkeye,

first relax, you are planning a vacation and don't forget to have fun. On the topic of onboard account, you will need a credit card to secure it. This is only if you skip out on the bill in which case you will probably not be allowed to leave. There was no authorization amount on mine and at the end I paid my account with cash, no problem. Tipping is a personal choice and I understand where you are coming from, however even if eating in the windjammer there is staff setting up and clearing tables for you, serving food and assisting everyone to make the experience more enjoyable for all. This is accomplished by the entire waitstaff. They all deserve the tip. The easiest way is to prepay you gratuties and then not think about it. I see this as part of the cost of a cruise and the work they put in seen or unseen is to make your vacation more enjoyable. For excursions, do some research in the port section on cruisecritic and ask about accessable excursions. If you wait to get to port there is always the risk that everything is booked especially with your needs. We have been to all the ports you are visiting and there is no security concerns beyond use common sense. The port areas are very nice and will serve your small shopping needs well. Grand Cayman is a port where you will be tendered to shore, FYI all others are docked and easily accessable. My best advise, plan early to eliminate worries. Cruise critic offers a wealth of information

Thanks for not thrashing me for bringing up the "T" word, but I have noticed that some folks on here tend to judge over the topic. I'm not cheap, but I had to save for months for this and don't have an endless amount of cash like some do that take 30 cruises a year. Things are tough all over, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try something new or something that people in the next tax bracket enjoy. I try to live within my means.

The tiping issue..yes, it is important...to the crew....do not avoid the Main Dinning Room....enjoy! The tips are pooled, they cover all those folks that you might never see...so do not avoid the MDR over the concerns of $$$.

If possible, since you are budgeting, try to pre-pay them.

Cozumel...the ship docks at the international pier, it is a long walk to downtown, taxi runs around $6.00 one way per person. But the shops and sights make it a favorite browsing stop.

Falmouth, after reading your thoughts, this is a great way to visit the shops that are in the buildings, plus there are rotating vendors that get spots in the center of the pier with tons of stuff and interesting items.

Note, if you are beach folks, you can do a nice beach day in Falmouth, I think it is around $35.00 each for round trip transport, you can walk up and buy it...all the way at the end of the shopping area, on the left.

All the talk about $$$ onboard. Worry not...since it is your first cruise, get onboard, explore the ship, enjoy, relax, smile! You are on a cruise!

Grand Cayman...explore the town, it can be expensive shopping. Maybe take a taxi to 7 mile beach.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for not thrashing me for bringing up the "T" word, but I have noticed that some folks on here tend to judge over the topic. I'm not cheap, but I had to save for months for this and don't have an endless amount of cash like some do that take 30 cruises a year. Things are tough all over, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try something new or something that people in the next tax bracket enjoy. I try to live within my means.

Please, most of us who take more than 3-5 cruises a year are older and have saved our whole life to do what we want in retirement. Most of us were in the same finical boat as you when we were younger.

As others said, do the pre paid tips, it is easy, do not add more unless you have them provide really special services for you. I have never had bad service, on a ship, just some times it is better than other cruises.

PS, The T word threads are better than the DC threads LOL

First of all, congrats on taking your first cruise! My first Royal Caribbean ship was Mariner and she's great. Lots of stuff to see and do on that ship that doesn't cost money.

Second, if you haven't checked out the Roll Call for your cruise, here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524076

Third, if you already know you aren't big spenders then I wouldn't be panicked about ending your cruise with a $500 - 800 bill. My last cruise on Jewel of the Seas I walked off with a bill of under $200 and that was only because I spent over $100 on the photos which I must get for my scrapbooks. Otherwise, if you aren't heavy drinkers you should be fine. My mom walked off the Jewel cruise with a bill of $100. It can be done.

Fourth, if you're thinking of doing any shore excursions you might look into prebooking and prepaying for them now. Or don't do any shore excursions. My roommate and I didn't do any on our Adventure cruise in 2011 and had a lovely time just window shopping in the port area then returning to the ship where it was nice and quiet.

Fifth, if I remember correctly, you will need to take a taxi into the downtown Cozumel area. I think it will be too far with a wheelchair from the port area. I haven't been there since 2006 and there was a lot of construction going on then.

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are others who will pipe in with more info. I've never done the cash only cruise so I can't give you any advice where that is concerned.

Theresa

Lots of help here I see. There is just so much to learn, and you get "info overload" trying to absorb it all, choose which is the best info, and try to remember it when you actually need it. It would probably be easier to choose some excursions if we weren't travelling with another couple that lives in Galveston, just hard to get on the phone and get our heads together sometimes. We want to do alot of things, zip-line, river rides, and such, but alot of it is impossible for the wife to do. So we struggle to decide what to invest money in. I see on here that people go on shore, for example, and haggle Sting Ray tours for $20 a person and then others who paid $175 for the same tour on the ship. So I can book it for $60, haggle, or just shop. Cause the ship seems to be overpriced on tours.

Please, most of us who take more than 3-5 cruises a year are older and have saved our whole life to do what we want in retirement. Most of us were in the same finical boat as you when we were younger.

As others said, do the pre paid tips, it is easy, do not add more unless you have them provide really special services for you. I have never had bad service, on a ship, just some times it is better than other cruises.

PS, The T word threads are better than the DC threads LOL

Hope I didn't offend you. Wasn't trying to by any stretch.It is just hard to wrap my head around someone who has money to do this. I have a friend that is a billionare, and I still buy a round of beers when we are out. It just bugs the heck out of me when he wants to pay for everything all the time, and he knows it, so he lets me pay sometimes. I am in a motorcycle club that is based on truth and honesty to your' brothers above all else, and I just say what's on my mind. That way no one ever has to guess how I feel about something.

Theresa

On the roll call already. Want to get on the M&M as well. May try to book something to do in Coz or Jam . I dont want to do that with Cayman and then find out it is too hard to get her on the tender to go ashore. If I end the cruise with an $800 bill, I had a hell of a time. I meant more that I didn't want that much cash tied up in a deposit that I could use to shop or do something else with. I have a card I will prob. secure the onboard acct. with now, after hearing all of these ideas. I'm all about hassle free, just not used to it. With all the day to day things I have to deal with as a biker, now we have to deal with civil liberties, gun control,school shootings, and everything else going on around the country. Thanks again for the advice. It helped alot.

So I can put a CC down for the account, regardless of the available balance, and then pay cash at the end on the last night?

If you put a CC down, they will authorize it nightly for the amount that you have spent that day. If you are concerned with the amount of available credit you have, then I would recommend to go the cash route. That way you won't be denied using your card if for some reason the available wasn't there on the credit card. With the cash account, you can charge up to $500 before they deny the card. Although I do recommend adding cash to the account on the first day or two.

Hope I didn't offend you. Wasn't trying to by any stretch.It is just hard to wrap my head around someone who has money to do this. I have a friend that is a billionare, and I still buy a round of beers when we are out. It just bugs the heck out of me when he wants to pay for everything all the time, and he knows it, so he lets me pay sometimes. I am in a motorcycle club that is based on truth and honesty to your' brothers above all else, and I just say what's on my mind. That way no one ever has to guess how I feel about something.

Notice the LOL, too many get bent out of shape on here, never take anything tooooooo seriously or even take it personally. Some time you have to read through much ********** to get good/true answers/opinions, but the answers are some times great.

Lots of help here I see. There is just so much to learn, and you get "info overload" trying to absorb it all, choose which is the best info, and try to remember it when you actually need it. It would probably be easier to choose some excursions if we weren't travelling with another couple that lives in Galveston, just hard to get on the phone and get our heads together sometimes. We want to do alot of things, zip-line, river rides, and such, but alot of it is impossible for the wife to do. So we struggle to decide what to invest money in. I see on here that people go on shore, for example, and haggle Sting Ray tours for $20 a person and then others who paid $175 for the same tour on the ship. So I can book it for $60, haggle, or just shop. Cause the ship seems to be overpriced on tours.

The ships tours cost more than doing it on your own but they makke sure to get you back on time and if not the ship will wait for you. Of you do it on your own and are late getting back you have to get to thenext port on your own

Regarding tips...I know it is a touchy subject for many people and some people look at it as a way to "save" money. But especially with things like this, I feel tipping is really required. Basically what they are doing is making it a separate charge when it should be included - though it does allow you to give more than the minimum when it is a tip.

If you can't afford the tip to a stylist, waiter, steward etc whose services you are getting, then you can't afford the service. In this case, it would mean cruise. If there was poor service from an individual, I would definitely understand trying to do something about that (though maybe not even via tips) or if there was exceptional service, I can see giving them more individually, but the way our society works in the US, tips are just short of being required. The people who work on the cruise ship are knocking themselves out to give you a good time, even if you don't see them directly.

JYD -

I just got back from my first cruise two weeks ago. I agree, it can be a bit intimidating when it's your first time and you're not sure how things work.

We used cash for our on board account. We completed online check in indicating cash. At the pier we were asked if we wanted to secure our account with a credit card. I said "no, we're doing a cash account." and that was it. Nothing more said.

So, we DID NOT have to give any credit card number when checking in or when on board.

Now, I had previously called Royal and purchased $250 of on board credit. This did not show up on our account until the end of the second day I believe. But you are still able to charge things to your SeaPass card immediately.

We don't drink or really gamble but we did buy a few virgin cocktails and a few other things plus a shore excursion, etc. We spent just under $176 so we went back to the front desk on the last night and they gave us the remaining cash back.

As far as excursions, we basically had the same itinerary as you. We mainly wanted to go to the beach, which we did in Grand Cayman. In Cozumel we just got off and bummed around the port area before heading back to the ship - we were only off about 20 minutes. In Jamaica we did the same thing - but spent a little bit longer.

It turns out I loved being back onboard when everyone else was gone!

Forgot about tipping - we did prepaid tips because I didn't want to worry about it and wanted it taken care of before we left. I'm glad we did it. The service we had in the Main Dining Room and the Windjammer was excellent. Our room steward was great.

I hope you have a great time on your trip!

Tipping is another issue since,again, we do most everything for ourselves. If I want a cup of coffee, I go get it. I may not even see the staff of the dining room if we eat mostly at Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. I do understand the part about tipping room stewards well so they take care of your' needs. I do tip well to people I get good service from, but I don't feel it is my responsibility to augment the salary of the crew because the cruise line doesn't pay well. In other words, if I dont see the maitre de (spelling?) but once on the cruise, I am not tipping him for all 7 days. Is that an acceptable way to look at it ?

NO.

You may never see the head waiter / maitre d .... but .... his job requires that he deal with some of the worst and most demanding passengers on board. In so doing, he needs to coordinate chefs, waiters, guests, probably spending most of his time with those that are problematic.

NO.

You may never see the head waiter / maitre d .... but .... his job requires that he deal with some of the worst and most demanding passengers on board. In so doing, he needs to coordinate chefs, waiters, guests, probably spending most of his time with those that are problematic.

I agree! When we first started cruising, we had no idea what the maitre d's and headwaiters actually did. We have since learned that they are the folks who can take care of any problem you have in the dining rooms and restaurants. I always chuckle when someone complains that they had a problem in the dining room, and went straight to Guest Services -- with less than satisfactory results. Turns out, they by-passed the head waiter and maitre d -- the very people who had the best chance of helping resolve the issue for them. :rolleyes:

And to the OP -- I appreciate your honesty, but please realize that none of us who cruise the mainstream lines are truly made of money -- if that were true, we'd all be off on our own private yachts. ;) My point is, that the staff will work just as tirelessly for you as they do for the folks who take multiple cruises every year (and spend lots, doing it). Keep that in mind when you're deciding on who/what to tip. :cool:

Welcome to cruising.

Here are my thoughts on your concerns:

1) Try not to think of the gratuities as "tips" like in a restaurant at home. It's really a service charge and it's a main component of the salary of those people who get it. It should not have anything to do with "service" unless you are having terrible service (which you won't on a Royal Caribbean ship) Even if you eat in the Windjammer, there are people clearing tables and bringing you beverages that participate in the suggested gratuity.

2) Do eat in the main dining room. You will be amazed by the fabulous service and the ability to order whatever you wish from the menu. If you can't decide between 4 appetizers, order all 4. It's fine. The wait staff will learn your preferences the first night and will provide you with your special needs every night without asking. It's amazing. You will feel like royalty. This is one aspect of cruising that is fabulous.

3) Your itinerary is Cozumel, Falmouth and Grand Cayman. Unless you are interested in water sports and Mayan ruins, there is not much to do there other than shop and eat Mexican food which you can probably get just as easily in East Texas. We have sailed a few times from Galveston and we stay on the boat in Cozumel as we've done the ruins and the snorkling at the national park. The jewelry stores and other shops are no bargains. You can take the taxi in from the pier and just walk around or you can stay on board and enjoy the quiet.

Grand Cayman is another place where it's water related stuff or shopping. I was there for the first time in the late 1980's and did not go back until 2011. It changed from a peaceful, quiet island to a tourist trap. Grand Cayman is just streets and streets filled with shopping and none of it worth while, IMO. I did the helmet dive there and it was fun, but expensive. This is the place to swim with the stingrays if that's your thing.

Falmouth has some interesting things to see and it's very easy to negotiate with a local cabbie right by the dock for a tour. Don't pay the ship's excursion prices. Our friends were sailing with us. They took the ships tour and paid twice what we paid the cabbie. We went at our own pace, got to see some places the big bus couldn't go and did not have to waste an hour at a shopping mall that the bus went to. I enjoyed the haunted plantation house tour.

4) For this cruise and for the future, it is wise to budget in the suggested gratuity into the cost of the cruise. We generally like to do My Time Dining, so we prepay our gratuities before boarding, but we always bring extra cash for those who serve us well. We don't consider the suggested gratuity as the full "tip" as it really isn't.

5) You can pay your sea pass account in cash at the end of the cruise. We use a credit card as we are either getting cash back or airline miles so it's worth it for us, but there is no law that says you must use a credit card. They do take cash. Monitor your sea pass account on the TV in your cabin. Those fruity drinks can add up. Do look for the drink of the day, if you have to have a fruity drink. They usually are priced lower. NEVER get a drink in a souvenir glass before asking if it's cheaper in a regular glass.

6) If you are wine drinkers, bring two bottles aboard with you to have a pre-dinner drink in your cabin. To bring the wine to dinner, you will pay a $25 corkage fee and 15% gratuity. If you want wine with dinner, it's not much more to buy a bottle of lower priced decent wine off the list. They will keep the bottle in the dining room for you so you don't have to finish it at one sitting.

7) regular coffee, tea, lemonade and ice tea are free in the main dining room, Windjammer and Promenade Cafe. You won't get thirsty. We pack foldable water bottles and fill them from the tap to take on excursions. The tap water is reverse osmosis and the same as bottled water. Saves us a lot on those overpriced bottles of water.

8) We have been cruising since the mid 1980's when we were both working full time and putting 6 children through college. We learned to budget accordingly for our transportation, gratuities and shipboard spending. We simply waited until we had enough put by for everything before we cruised. Now that we are retired geezers, we have to budget for the high-coverage travel insurance as well. :D

I hope that I've been some help. We are on Mariner in a few days and we'll keep her warm for you.

3) Your itinerary is Cozumel, Falmouth and Grand Cayman. Unless you are interested in water sports and Mayan ruins, there is not much to do there other than shop and eat Mexican food which you can probably get just as easily in East Texas.

Wow. Gotta disagree with you on Cozumel.

I found Coz to offer just about everything imagineable. Was only there once, we did the America's Cup Yacht Race in the morning (absolutely fantastic), then for the afternoon hit the east side, saw tons of beaches, went swimming, hit a number of bar/restaurants, had one of the best meals I have ever had, the locals were a blast, just had a great time.

Archived