Wonderful Copenhagen

DV, thanks for all your help through the years. We visited Copenhagen in 2010 and are coming back for three days prior to our cruise on the Emerald on July 6th. We already have the Copenhagen Cards for pre-cruise, so we are set there. When we return on July 17, I could buy the over-priced Princess transfers, or use the Nordhavn train/Metro to the airport. We have an early flight to Paris, so I guess we won't have to go through the passport control stuff in Copenhagen. My question is, where do we buy tickets for this trip to the airport and how do we pay? We have US cards and Danish paper money left over from earlier. Do the machines take paper Danish bills or do I need coins? I think I saw each ticket is 36 DDK? (at the Nordhavn station) Thanks for your help! Martin

I you use the ticket machines its only coins or credit cards with a pin code.

But you can go to the 7-Eleven kiosk and pay the ticket there.

He came back in a police car around 4:30pm along with 2 people from the Norwegian Star. Apparently, he couldnt find his way back to the ship, and he joined these 2 other people that were lost, and asked the police for help. Unfortunately by the time they did make it back to the dock, the Princess has sailed. He even tried to ask if he could tag along on the NCL Star until next port, but they wouldn't let him on. Hopefully he made it back safely.

We almost didn't make it back in time since we took the ferry across the sum....fortess and took the 2 PM ferry back to the market square. Walk to Espanda park and two blocks down we saw the Princess shuttle and was think to walk back to the ship instead we took the shuttle back. Just way too fas to walk into town from the port in Helsinki.

Edited by cruise_alot123

Thank you Danish Viking for all you info. Read through with notebook in my lap writing down all the info. We are arriving June 13th in the early afternoon and will be leaving the next day on the Emerald Princess. The highpoints we want to se are Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Nyhavn and the canal tour. We will be staying at the Clarion Mayfair and plan on dropping off the luggage and start seeing the sights. Is Tivoli Gardens worth the admission, we are not interested in any of the rides?

What do you suggest as the best way to see the sights, or do you suggest to add more things? We are avid walkers and don't mind hoofing it around your grand city. What way is the best to divide up the sights between the two days?

All of us appreciate you taking time to answer our endless questions.

I know that you are an ex-pat. Do you want me to bring you anything from the States? Thank you, thank you!

We used Ground Link. I found an on line discount code ( that I don't recall, but you can probably find one on line somewhere on an ad). It was easy to use and they were actually early to pick us up.

Thanks! I'll look them up. Did you give them a specific time or just a window?

Thank you Danish Viking for all you info. Read through with notebook in my lap writing down all the info. We are arriving June 13th in the early afternoon and will be leaving the next day on the Emerald Princess. The highpoints we want to se are Rosenborg, Amalienborg, Nyhavn and the canal tour. We will be staying at the Clarion Mayfair and plan on dropping off the luggage and start seeing the sights. Is Tivoli Gardens worth the admission, we are not interested in any of the rides?

What do you suggest as the best way to see the sights, or do you suggest to add more things? We are avid walkers and don't mind hoofing it around your grand city. What way is the best to divide up the sights between the two days?

All of us appreciate you taking time to answer our endless questions.

I know that you are an ex-pat. Do you want me to bring you anything from the States? Thank you, thank you!

I believe that Ex-pat is an American abroad, If that is the case then thats not the case I´m a full blooded Danish Viking (almost :D )

At Rosenborg you have to see the crown jewels that are located in another area of the castle.

Tivoli is better seen in the evening when the lights are on so if its possible i would visit Tivoli late in the day.

Do we need to get tickets in advance to castles such as Rosenberg, Fredericksborg, Christianborg to avoid wait in lines?

Is there anywhere else that we should get advance tickets?

Thank you!

There is no such things as priority lines in Copenhagen, but there isn't any need for it either.

Thanks, Danish viking! Where can I buy the Øresund Familie ticket? How much does it cost?

No its not but if you are 2 adults its cheaper to buy a Øresund Familie ticket its cheaper and 3 kids under 16 will travel for free.

It's 86 DKK for a single and 142 DKK

for a single Øresund Familie ticket.

At the airport station and central station you have to buy them at the ticket counter or perhaps the ticket machine but I'm not sure if the familie ticket can be purchased there.

At the other stations you simply buy them in the 7-Eleven kiosks (but not at central station)

Usually they ask but make sure that you get a return ticket (you just have to double the price)

And even though the airport is the last station in Denmark its the same price from central Copenhagen.

Edited by Danish viking

Think these will be my final questions before we head out next week. You gave great directions for getting from the airport to our hotel, theClarion Neptune, by using Metro and getting off at Kongens Nytorv. How will we know when we are at that stop? Announcement, big signs, etc.? Also, what would be the best way, other than expensive taxi, to get from the Neptune to the cruise pier. Believe we are at C245.(RCL Vision ) We are older ladies and aren't able to do much walking, especially dragging luggage. Thanks again for all of your incredible information and patience.

I'll be landing at the Copenhagen airport on Jun 20 and wish to go directly to Malmo central station, which is close to the hotel where I'll be staying for a night. What is the best way to get to Malmo central station from CPH? Bus? Train? How much do each of these cost and where can I get tickets?

After a night's stay in Malmo, we'll be taking the train back out to Copenhagen and boarding the cruise whenever it opens. What is the best way via bus or train to get to the cruise terminal (I believe it's Freeport)? If we get back to Copenhagen before we can check in for the cruise, is there anywhere that will store our luggage for the time being?

I ll have a stab at this one!

From CPH airport there is three trains per hour that goes directly to Malmö Central station. The cost is SEK 105:- or around DKK 84:-.

You buy tickets at he airport, before you enter the trackarea.

You return with the same train, but pass CPH airport and leave at Österport. From there you take the bus. (I dont know what busnumber you need, but look this thread through and Danish Viking has already given that answer before)

If yoy want to check in your luggage, you need to get off att Copenhagen Central station where there is manual storage facilites, and then take the next train to Österport. You dont need to buy a new ticket for this, as you are travelling in the same direction as before you went off the train.

Think these will be my final questions before we head out next week. You gave great directions for getting from the airport to our hotel, theClarion Neptune, by using Metro and getting off at Kongens Nytorv. How will we know when we are at that stop? Announcement, big signs, etc.? Also, what would be the best way, other than expensive taxi, to get from the Neptune to the cruise pier. Believe we are at C245.(RCL Vision ) We are older ladies and aren't able to do much walking, especially dragging luggage. Thanks again for all of your incredible information and patience.

We just took the metro 2 weeks ago and got off at Kongens Nytorv. It's a 8 stop ride from the airport and just look at the display above for your station.

Also, you can buy the metro tickets from the machine where you pick up your luggage and if you buy them at the main Terminal 3 area, the line is quite long for self service and also at the ticket booth. Lots of people hang around there. After you've gotten the tickets then go straight up the elevator for the metro. When you come up the metro M2 is on your left and leaves every 2 minutes. I did not see where the sign pointed to the metro at the airport.

Edited by cruise_alot123

I wonder Danish Viking and all other port helpers sush as Stockholm and Helsinki are employed by their tourist bureau? It's time consuming to repond and provide all the info for the cruisers here and other ports who constantly ask questions included myself prior to their cruises.

In that case I would like to get my paycheck :D

BTW. Is it that strange in whatever country you are from that local people help the "guests" in their towns.

I would like to think that my fellow Danes would do the same if they where asked for direction or other "simple" questions.

In that case I would like to get my paycheck :D

BTW. Is it that strange in whatever country you are from that local people help the "guests" in their towns.

I would like to think that my fellow Danes would do the same if they where asked for direction or other "simple" questions.

You the man icon14.gif!!

Edited by cruise_alot123

Thank you Danish Viking and CruiseaLot. Now I have two additional questions. Sorry. What is a metro ticket? We planned to buy the city pass to be able to use all transportation. Where would we first find a place to buy that and also an ATM to exchange some money? Danish Viking, we felt we could walk the distance indicated in getting to our hotel(Neptune) from the metro stop. Is it further to walk if we don't take taxi to pier?

Thank you Danish Viking and CruiseaLot. Now I have two additional questions. Sorry. What is a metro ticket? We planned to buy the city pass to be able to use all transportation. Where would we first find a place to buy that and also an ATM to exchange some money? Danish Viking, we felt we could walk the distance indicated in getting to our hotel(Neptune) from the metro stop. Is it further to walk if we don't take taxi to pier?

There is no such thing as a metro ticket, all tickets works in all transportation methods.

The city pass can be purchased in the ticket machines or ticket counter and/or 7-eleven at the train stations.

The hotel is in walking distance from Kongens Nytorv.

You can also use public transortation to the pier I just need to know if its a normal day or weekend.

But you will maybe have to change from metro to train at Nørreport station and walk from Nordhavn station to the freeport terminal if its a weekend.

If it's a regular day then Bus 26 will get you directly to the Freeport terminal at the bus stop at Stubbeløbsgade.

Just take the bus from Kongens Nytorv towards Færgehavn Nord or UNICEF.

There is no such thing as a metro ticket, all tickets works in all transportation methods.

The city pass can be purchased in the ticket machines or ticket counter and/or 7-eleven at the train stations.

The hotel is in walking distance from Kongens Nytorv.

You can also use public transortation to the pier I just need to know if its a normal day or weekend.

But you will maybe have to change from metro to train at Nørreport station and walk from Nordhavn station to the freeport terminal if its a weekend.

If it's a regular day then Bus 26 will get you directly to the Freeport terminal at the bus stop at Stubbeløbsgade.

Just take the bus from Kongens Nytorv towards Færgehavn Nord or UNICEF.

I have seen the yellow bus # 26 when we were in the Freeport terminal and just a heads up that the bus does not stop in front of the gate where you walk to the cruise. It stops two blocks before so your total walk to the ship is about 20 minutes fom the bus stop. Cut through the rail track is bit faster then following the blue line. However, the rail track is a bit rugged and the blue line is the sidewalk so it's smoother.

I have also seen the yellow bus # 26 went by when we were staying the hotel near the canal so you if you are close to the canal area. I suggest that you talk a stroll down toward the end of the canal where all the restaurants are located and the bus does go by there.

The walk from the Kongens Nytorv metro to the canal area is about 6 minutes and the easiest way is when you get out of the metro take the elevator up then cross the street and turn left (just like heading north in the state) and bear right and you'll see the canal in a few minutes. All the outdoor restaurants are located at the end of this street.

There's a little Thai place we used for take out and it was great. Very small place with 2 small tables but this place is packed with people take away food. We purchased the food and took it to our hotel bethel across street and ate there.

One more note I'd like to add that walking the canal and the freeport terminal areas are very safe.

Edited by cruise_alot123

That's correct if anyone are taking the bus then they have to use the Stubbeløbsgade bus stop and the use the vehicle/main entrance instead.

Its located 50 metres further down the street from where the bus drops you off.

The pedestrian entrance is located near Nordhavn station at the other end of the Freeport area.

Hi Danish Viking,

I finally made my way through this entire thread and I really appreciate all your tips and advice! I’ve come up with a plan (based on your suggestions) for our stay in Copenhagen before and after our cruise, and I was wondering if I can run it by you to make sure I got my public transportation right.

I’m arriving in Copenhagen on Thursday, June 20. Since my husband would already be in Sweden for his business trip, I will be taking a train (Train 1005) myself to meet him in Malmo directly from the CPH airport (86 DKK). We’ll stay in Malmo for the night and returning to Copenhagen the next afternoon to board our cruise. I’m guessing my husband and I could purchase an Øresund Familie ticket at Malmo C (SEK equivalent of 142 DKK) and get off at Österport. Walk over to Ørport bus stop, and take Bus 26 (24 DKK each) to Stubbeløbsgade. Can we buy tickets from the driver?

We disembark at Copenhagen on Sunday, June 30, which unfortunately means Bus 26 will not be running. So instead, we have to walk over to Nordhavn St., and take Train A or B to Vesterport, and then take Bus 9A or 5A towards the hotel. I presume this will only take one ticket (24 DKK each)? I still have to plan our day at Copenhagen, but our flight is not until 3pm on Monday. We are debating about buying a 24-hr City Pass (75 DKK), because we really only have 1.5 days in Copenhagen so a 48-hr one seems to be a waste. In order to be able to use the City Pass for our ride to the airport, we can’t activate it until say 12pm on the Sunday. That being said, our ride from the cruise terminal to the hotel will probably just be paid in cash. Do you know if we can buy the City Pass at Nordhvn Station? If not, I could pick up two at the airport when I land on Thursday. But can I keep the City Pass and not activate it until Sunday? There is a chance we won’t need the City Pass if we’re only taking the metro/bus from cruise terminal to hotel and from hotel to airport (total of only 60 DKK) so we’re considering it now. Any thoughts?