North Shore Hotel Info

MalervyC

Looking to stay post cruise in the North Shore. Looking for a hotel to relax for two days before heading home. Would like to get away from the hustle of Waikiki. The only hotel I can find is Turtle Bay - which is $$$ so I'm looking to see if anyone has other recommendations? Mahalo!

Looking to stay post cruise in the North Shore. Looking for a hotel to relax for two days before heading home. Would like to get away from the hustle of Waikiki. The only hotel I can find is Turtle Bay - which is $$$ so I'm looking to see if anyone has other recommendations? Mahalo!

That's about it. If there were any other ones, they would not be worth staying at. You could head out West to Ko Olina, but would run into the same $$$ high end hotels like Aulani (Disney) or Marriott.

Lots of economy hotels in Waikiki. Rent a car and get out of Waikiki for the day.

Renee

Yes, the two words relax and Waikiki cannot be in the same sentance.

If you really want to just relax and not worry about driving, Turtle Bay is about it. It is a great place to just relax, and sometimes that is worth the extra cost. Trying to vacation on a budget in Hawaii can be more stressful than just paying a little extra.

I'm not sure the price is any better but this year we are trying the Disney property on the west side of the island and renting a car to drive North. Sally likes shrimp trucks and I like the North shore beaches, so we have to get out.

Burt

We bit the bullet and stayed at Turtle Bay for three nights - possibly the best 3 vacation nights of our lives! But it is pricey. We love the north Shore. It is the only place we would stay for ore than a night or two in Oahu. So next year we plan to stay in a VRBO rental on the beach for at least 4 nights.

According to Oahu Revealed a law enacted many years ago has prohibited the building of new hotels outside of the designated Waikiki "Hotel Zone". So therefore only existing hotels built before that law are able to remain. They keep renovating the existing buildings. Turtle Bay was beautiful!

Thank you everyone! I know that you can't really do Hawaii on a budget, but it's the thrifty saver in me that has to push for a way to stretch my money as best I can. This is our honeymoon so I really want to make it the best experience possible! The Disney resort is like $400 a night - I actually remember watching it be built the last time I was in Hawaii. We could see it from Paradise Cove. Would love to stay there!!

Sunny - you must be right, that has to be why there aren't many places in the North. I looked at Paradise Bay (on the Eastern side) but there are no restaurants actually there on the grounds. I tried VRBO a few weeks ago and the places I emailed were all hesitant to let us stay because it's only for three days; they had 4 or 5 day minimums.

For those that stayed at Turtle Bay, I read about this $25 fee per day. What is that?

We stayed at the Tutle bay last year. It is worth the cost. There are different types of rooms, try to find one that is closer to your budget. All rooms have ocean views. Wont ever stay in Wikikii again. Rent the movie Forgeting Sara Marshall and it shows nice shots of the hotel. Rated R so its kinda bad in parts but it shows the hotel. Have Fun :D

Thank you everyone! I know that you can't really do Hawaii on a budget, but it's the thrifty saver in me that has to push for a way to stretch my money as best I can. This is our honeymoon so I really want to make it the best experience possible! The Disney resort is like $400 a night - I actually remember watching it be built the last time I was in Hawaii. We could see it from Paradise Cove. Would love to stay there!!

Sunny - you must be right, that has to be why there aren't many places in the North. I looked at Paradise Bay (on the Eastern side) but there are no restaurants actually there on the grounds. I tried VRBO a few weeks ago and the places I emailed were all hesitant to let us stay because it's only for three days; they had 4 or 5 day minimums.

For those that stayed at Turtle Bay, I read about this $25 fee per day. What is that?

That is a resort fee. I think it is a tax, actually. Any hotel designated as a resort has it on the island.

I don't want to presume on your budget, but since it is your honeymoon I would really suggest Turtle Bay. It is so nice and relaxing. You may be able to get a better price by booking through a third party vendor. Google "discount Oahu hotel prices" and see what comes up. Also, the pre-pay option for Turtle Bay saves quite a bit of money. It is non-cancellable, though. So you will want to be sure that is what you want before you book.

We have stayed at both the Aulani and the Turtle Bay Resort. We like the area within close proximity more at Turtle Bay than the Aulani. I would go back to the Aulani in a heartbeat but North Shore is our favorite. If you decide on Turtle Bay you can get food from the shrimp trucks or Ted's to take back to the hotel or enjoy on one of the beautiful beaches. And...don't forget the great shave ice and huli, huli chicken in Haleiwa. We've had wonderful picnics on the grounds of Turtle Bay, and once had a room where we not only enjoyed dinner but also the entertainment at the luau below. Have fun. Cherie

We stayed at the Turtle Bay (at the time the Hyatt Kuilima) for our 1st trip to Hawaii in 1981. Being 1st time visitors we spent too much time driving to 'must see' places at the other end of O'ahu. So I'd suggest Turtle Bay as a relaxing resort experience but to stay closer to Honolulu if planning to visit the many sites on the southern end of the island to avoid so much driving from the Hilton.

Archived