Samana a Joke on US????

Big Feet

Bold - mine

People of Samana would never steal. They are dependent on tourism and if they were caught, the government would throw them in jail with no mercy. However, they do enjoy gaming (cheating - my words) people. Not resetting the gas gauge to zero when pumping gas, shortchanging, etc.

Remarkably, the US State Dept and the US Consolate disagree with you. In fact, it's not just that you used the absolute "never" instead of "not often" it's that petty crime is very high in DR, even in Samana.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=12337

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html#crime

This is neither here nor there but I read it when I was doing research on Samana so I'll put it out there. (I tend to over research when I'm going somewhere new)

People of Samana would never steal. They are dependent on tourism and if they were caught, the government would throw them in jail with no mercy. However, they do enjoy gaming (cheating - my words) people. Not resetting the gas gauge to zero when pumping gas, shortchanging, etc.

So basically, as always, when you're in a different place, pay attention and be aware of your surroundings.

Research your destination and plan accordingly.

I loved Samana and hope to go back someday.

Do you really believe that? For stealing?

Gina

"People of Samana would never steal".

Excuse me while I have a laugh at this. lol

FWI - "not resetting the gas gauge to zero ... shortchanging", is stealing.

We were in Samana on 1/10/13. I have to say it is my favorite port EVER. Booked a private tour with a reputable company. Saw so much. I really would like to go back.

After reading about it, I thought about just staying on the ship for the day. I am so glad that I didn't.

Different strokes for different folks. :rolleyes:

While maybe not the favorite port ever, our experience was the same as yours. Saw some beautiful areas and the people in the countryside were very friendly and guess what they spoke English. (No requirement but they did) As with most places you can not cast a universal judgement by what you see at the dock and that goes for Europe as well. Guess we had those different strokes.

If you are put off or scared of third world countries, then you should not take Caribbean or Bahamas cruises. That's where they go.

It is not unusual for people in foreign countries to speak broken english. That is what it is when you travel.

I found Belize very interesting. Went to the ruins.

In nassau, I take the local bus for $1.25 to Cable Beach and walked back from their small, but very cozy zoo, a 15 minute walk. No problems, Mahn.

My question: Can you see whales in Semana if you don't take the shaky, vomit inducing boats? Is there a hotel than you can take a cab to? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

"People of Samana would never steal".

Excuse me while I have a laugh at this. lol

FWI - "not resetting the gas gauge to zero ... shortchanging", is stealing.

We let our guard down in Cozumel and had the gas gage scam pulled on us. The one time you aren't paying attention and BAM they get you.

If you are put off or scared of third world countries, then you should not take Caribbean or Bahamas cruises. That's where they go.

It is not unusual for people in foreign countries to speak broken english. That is what it is when you travel.

I found Belize very interesting. Went to the ruins.

In nassau, I take the local bus for $1.25 to Cable Beach and walked back from their small, but very cozy zoo, a 15 minute walk. No problems, Mahn.

My question: Can you see whales in Semana if you don't take the shaky, vomit inducing boats? Is there a hotel than you can take a cab to? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

That's not a fair assessment. Some islands are more developed than others and some are more risky than others. Years ago we did beach a excursion in Barbados. There were police armed with military rifles guarding the beach. They weren't there for photo ops. Years later things have changed there to.

Bold - mine

Remarkably, the US State Dept and the US Consolate disagree with you. In fact, it's not just that you used the absolute "never" instead of "not often" it's that petty crime is very high in DR, even in Samana.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=12337

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html#crime

.....and how are these warnings any different from traveling in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc?

You just need to be aware of your surroundings and try and be street smart.

You're right - I should not have used the absolute NEVER. I was just relating what I had read (not verbatim but from memory).

.....and how are these warnings any different from traveling in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc?

You just need to be aware of your surroundings and try and be street smart.

You're right - I should not have used the absolute NEVER. I was just relating what I had read (not verbatim but from memory).

They are not. That's my point. Only a crazy person would say that people in NY, Chicago, LA, or Philly never steal because they depend on tourists to help their economy.

I enjoy travel. I have been to poor countries and richer countries. I am very aware of my surroundings. Crime could happen to me anywhere, but I pay attention.

It is my opinion that telling me they are heading to some magical place where NO ONE WILL EVER EVER EVER EVER STEAL FROM THEM is absolutely contradictory to your next piece of advice to stay aware.

The facts are that there is a lot of petty crime in DR. There is a lot of petty crime in a lot of places on this planet. Ruling out theft in a port is poor advice.

The advice given on the US State Dept site is pretty clear. Travel in groups. Stay aware. Avoid being flashy with your valuables. Stay on the main roads. Stay in well-lit areas. Be smart.

Wow, we are there in 2 weeks. Now I'm nervous! :eek:

Thanks to CC posters, at least we will be armed with knowledge.

Don't be. Be reasonable and aware just like you would be in parts of your area at home that you are unfamiliar with.

The world is a beautiful place, even in poorer parts. Keep reading up on things. The more educated you are with the ports of call, the better choices you will make to have fun.

mmmm....not the first time I've been called crazy :p

But you are correct. Be smart and be aware- wherever you travel.

I have traveled around the world and always do a ton of research before I go.

The only time that I was victimized (purse stolen out of my car) was in my little home town (population 6000) in Central PA. I just was not thinking and someone took advantage.

Don't be. Be reasonable and aware just like you would be in parts of your area at home that you are unfamiliar with.

The world is a beautiful place, even in poorer parts. Keep reading up on things. The more educated you are with the ports of call, the better choices you will make to have fun.

Great upbeat advice. I needed to be reminded of why I cruise. :)

Good post. I can't tell you how many times I shake my head when I read comments about how once you have seen one Caribbean island you have seen them all. And this is usually from people who spend the day lying on an island beach. And of course there are those who will never get off of the ship again in Jamaica. I never get tired of the islands because I love exploring them and I love interacting with the locals. How else to you learn about other people? I am just as comfortable in Jamaica as on St. Thomas or in Rome, or in London, or in New York City. They are different places, different cultures, different environments. The one thing that they all have in common is having people there who I can learn something from and places to explore. And a little preparation and self education go a long way toward enhancing the experience.

You are fine with your implication that poor people are more likely to steal from you? Because they are poor and therefore have no morals?

Because some people on every level have no morals. The amoral rich ones will steal from your investment acount or scam you out of your home (by way of example), but the amoral poor ones would be more likely to resort to physical theft. Even if there's only one amoral poor person on the island, do you want to be the one person with expensive jewelry on? I wouldn't.

I wear lots of bling to dinner on the ship, but never in a port, especially any port with which I am unfamiliar, no matter the country.

We insure our stuff. Yes, there is some sentimental value to some items, but they are stuff, not people or pets.

Because some people on every level have no morals. The amoral rich ones will steal from your investment acount or scam you out of your home (by way of example), but the amoral poor ones would be more likely to resort to physical theft. Even if there's only one amoral poor person on the island, do you want to be the one person with expensive jewelry on? I wouldn't.

I wear lots of bling to dinner on the ship, but never in a port, especially any port with which I am unfamiliar, no matter the country.

We insure our stuff. Yes, there is some sentimental value to some items, but they are stuff, not people or pets.

Okay something is mucked up here. The quote you posted, by me (supposedly) was not made by me.

Give credit to 'cruisnseas'.

I advise against wearing the "bling" into such ports.

I've read these posts and agree with being careful and knowing your surroundings etc. My question is this what excursion would you recommend in Samana?? We don't zipline (many reasons) like the beach (don't want hours there) so what is there??? Just thought I'd throw this out there for a change of pace:D

Thanks,

Carol

I've read these posts and agree with being careful and knowing your surroundings etc. My question is this what excursion would you recommend in Samana?? We don't zipline (many reasons) like the beach (don't want hours there) so what is there??? Just thought I'd throw this out there for a change of pace:D

Thanks,

Carol

Contact Tour withTerry.

Thanks,

Carol

Hi! I've been asking the same thing but I don't particularly want to do an excursion. I'd rather find a beach but not pay $30-50 a person to get there :( It seems most people spend money on tours or excursions but I'm going to use info I got from a Samana tourism site and look for a public boat to take me to Cayo Levantado for $10 pp round trip. It says it leaves from the Main Dock. Because there is such a poor amount of information on here about Samana and what to do without spending a fortune I'm going to do a thorough review including pictures (I'll be sure to get pics of the dock and any seediness if there is indeed any) and prices of public boats to the beach for everyone. :)

As the posts prove, some people do like Samana.

Remember that not everyone likes the same town. We have tried Ocho Rios twice, and I was not a fan either time. If we take a cruise that goes there, I'll stay on the ship that day. Others love the port....it might even be the highlight of their trip.

Well, one good thing that came out of this thread for me is that I have been procrastinating getting insurance coverage on my wedding band. I think I will do that over the next few weeks before we leave on EoS to visit Samana. I hate the idea of leaving it on the ship but will feel much better visiting the Caribbean with it if it's insured.

I find on all my vacations that I am better off not even bringing my rings. After losing one of my stones at Disneyworld of all places I learned not to bring them. I have a fake CZ ring to wear in the place of the real stuff. You might want to do that too.

Luckyprincess:

I am trying to figure out how to see whales without going on one of those little boats and not paying for the expensive ship excursion to a hotel where you may or may not see whales.

I wonder whether the hotel would let anyone on to their grounds?

Luckyprincess:

I am trying to figure out how to see whales without going on one of those little boats and not paying for the expensive ship excursion to a hotel where you may or may not see whales.

I wonder whether the hotel would let anyone on to their grounds?

You're on a ship which is going to sail in to/out of Samana Bay, maybe you'll see some for free if you look. I doubt they've trained the whales to duck when they see cruise ships.

We've seen whales from a ship in the Mediterranean and on a ship sailing the Pacific coast of Mexico.

Hi! I've been asking the same thing but I don't particularly want to do an excursion. I'd rather find a beach but not pay $30-50 a person to get there :( It seems most people spend money on tours or excursions but I'm going to use info I got from a Samana tourism site and look for a public boat to take me to Cayo Levantado for $10 pp round trip. It says it leaves from the Main Dock. Because there is such a poor amount of information on here about Samana and what to do without spending a fortune I'm going to do a thorough review including pictures (I'll be sure to get pics of the dock and any seediness if there is indeed any) and prices of public boats to the beach for everyone. :)

I can't wait to read your review when you get back. I sail on March 15th and all I am looking for is a nice beach in Samana and how I get to and from that nice beach.

Archived