Leaving ship in Oslo

We will be cruising VOS in April and have to leave the ship a day early. We are trying to figure out the best way to the Airport since we will be leaving with probably two suitcases each. Wondering about the problems of loading luggage if we take the flytoget or if we would be better off just taking a taxi directly to the airport. Since we would not be able to see much of Oslo would we see more if we took a taxi? How would the price compare for two people? Also would think about a short tour in order to see the scenery if that would work.

Thanks for your help!

We will be cruising VOS in April and have to leave the ship a day early. We are trying to figure out the best way to the Airport since we will be leaving with probably two suitcases each. Wondering about the problems of loading luggage if we take the flytoget or if we would be better off just taking a taxi directly to the airport. Since we would not be able to see much of Oslo would we see more if we took a taxi? How would the price compare for two people? Also would think about a short tour in order to see the scenery if that would work. Thanks for your help!

Thinking of ALL that you spending for your cruise, flights and ground tours/costs, why worry about a little more for the cost to do a cab to get from your docking area to the airport? PLUS, there a nice variety of things to see and experience that you can do via a cab trip that makes a few added twists and turns to enjoy the highlights in this city. And with your luggage, it will be lots easier.

Do a little advance research and decide what's most important for you to drive by, see and do. Below are a couple of my quick examples/suggestions, including the famed outdoor sculpture park that is open 24/7 and free with no admission charge. PRICELESS!!! Even if it costs an added $50-60 more, it will be well worth it. Plus, save lots of body wear and tear.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,369 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior and one of its large interior spaces where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded annually on December 10 each year. This structure houses the city council and city administration, plus art studios and galleries. The construction started in 1931 with the main structure completed in 1936. The German invasion of Norway in 1940 caused construction to stop, and it was not resumed until 1947. This City Hall was official opened in 1950. Its characteristic architecture, artworks and the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony makes it one of Oslo's most famous buildings. The roof of the eastern tower has a 49-bell carillon which plays every hour. This City Hall is situated in central downtown Oslo dramatically overlooking the scenic harbor area.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

Here is a view of the Norway Parliament Building in Oslo or the “Storting” (meaning "the great assembly"). It is a unicameral parliament with 169 members, elected every four years. Parliament was established by their Constitution of Norway in 1814 and has since 1866 met in this building with its unique curved front section. Once the bill has reached the King in Council, the bill must be signed by the monarch and countersigned by the prime minister. It then becomes Norwegian law. The King has the right to withhold Royal Assent from any bill passed, but this has never been done since the dissolution of the union with Sweden in 1905 that restored Norway to full independence.:

OsloParliamentRound.jpg

Norway’s Royal Palace and a main Oslo shopping area:

1A-Oslo-RoyalPalace.jpg

Thinking of ALL that you spending for your cruise, flights and ground tours/costs, why worry about a little more for the cost to do a cab to get from your docking area to the airport?
Is it only "a little more"? The source that I use says two people on the flytoget will be about NOK 160 x 2 = NOK 320 (USD 57), but a taxi is between NOK 540 (USD 97) and NOK 900 (USD 162).

When the difference between the train for two people and a taxi is between USD 40 and USD 105, that's a very generous version of "a little more".

Is it only "a little more"? The source that I use says two people on the flytoget will be about NOK 160 x 2 = NOK 320 (USD 57), but a taxi is between NOK 540 (USD 97) and NOK 900 (USD 162). When the difference between the train for two people and a taxi is between USD 40 and USD 105, that's a very generous version of "a little more".

Good point/question by our smart friend from London. Maybe it will cost $75 more, net, to do the cab/see & sample-Oslo-quick option. But under the public transit plan, you've still got to get to the 1.3 mile distance to the flytoget from your ship. Don't know the total costs of their cruise and air flights for our Missouri friends. It could total, with everything for the cruise, flights, land and out-of-pocket costs, a grand, rough cost of $7,500. That works out to a 1% added cost for the Oslo "extra". Just a small rounding error in today's economy!?!? Or a couple bottles of wine? Worth it??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 92,884 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The prices you came up with are about right. The Flytoget has actually gone up to 170 NOK/person, and the fixed price for an airport trip during the day from downtown is 695 NOK.

The deciding factor should really be how easy it is for you to handle the luggage. There's plenty of luggage storage on the train, and it's located right inside the doors. However, if you'll have trouble moving it through the train station or up the 2-3 steps onto the train (I always take multiple trips), you might want to opt for the taxi. Otherwise, the Flytoget is faster, cheaper, and more comfortable.

Regarding seeing some of the city? Honestly, I don't think you'll see much on a taxi ride to the airport. You'll pass through most of the city in tunnels before ending up on the highway at the edge of town. The few times I've taken a car/taxi to the airport I've ended up dozing off (it's around 45 minutes). Last summer I drove the route (so I was awake), and there really wasn't much to see at all once you're out of the city, and the northeast corner isn't the most scenic bit of Oslo. If you wanted to do some sightseeing beforehand, you probably couldn't use the fixed price option, and the meter price to the airport is easily around 1200, so with just a little bit of a detour, you could easily be looking at a taxi price of 1500 or more.

If you do decide to take the train, the easiest option would be to take a taxi to Nationaltheatret and catch the Flytoget there. The Flytoget runs every 20 minutes from Nationaltheatret (compared to the 10-minute frequency at the central station), but Nationaltheatret is only 5 minutes' drive from the usual cruise piers. Still not a cheap taxi ride, but probably under 150 NOK. (It's also a much smaller station and easier to manage with luggage.)

When it comes down to price, yes the Flytoget is only slightly cheaper, but I vastly prefer the 20-minute train trip to the 40-minute drive. There's an airport bus that stops a block from my apartment and costs the same as the Flytoget, but I hate spending that long riding in a car when I'm about to get on a long flight.

If you have a bit of time before your flight, there are luggage lockers at the train station, and it's right on the central street of Karl Johans gate, so you could easily see a bit of the city center on foot.

The prices you came up with are about right. The Flytoget has actually gone up to 170 NOK/person, and the fixed price for an airport trip during the day from downtown is 695 NOK.

The deciding factor should really be how easy it is for you to handle the luggage. There's plenty of luggage storage on the train, and it's located right inside the doors. However, if you'll have trouble moving it through the train station or up the 2-3 steps onto the train (I always take multiple trips), you might want to opt for the taxi. Otherwise, the Flytoget is faster, cheaper, and more comfortable.

Regarding seeing some of the city? Honestly, I don't think you'll see much on a taxi ride to the airport. You'll pass through most of the city in tunnels before ending up on the highway at the edge of town. The few times I've taken a car/taxi to the airport I've ended up dozing off (it's around 45 minutes). Last summer I drove the route (so I was awake), and there really wasn't much to see at all once you're out of the city, and the northeast corner isn't the most scenic bit of Oslo. If you wanted to do some sightseeing beforehand, you probably couldn't use the fixed price option, and the meter price to the airport is easily around 1200, so with just a little bit of a detour, you could easily be looking at a taxi price of 1500 or more.

If you do decide to take the train, the easiest option would be to take a taxi to Nationaltheatret and catch the Flytoget there. The Flytoget runs every 20 minutes from Nationaltheatret (compared to the 10-minute frequency at the central station), but Nationaltheatret is only 5 minutes' drive from the usual cruise piers. Still not a cheap taxi ride, but probably under 150 NOK. (It's also a much smaller station and easier to manage with luggage.)

When it comes down to price, yes the Flytoget is only slightly cheaper, but I vastly prefer the 20-minute train trip to the 40-minute drive. There's an airport bus that stops a block from my apartment and costs the same as the Flytoget, but I hate spending that long riding in a car when I'm about to get on a long flight.

If you have a bit of time before your flight, there are luggage lockers at the train station, and it's right on the central street of Karl Johans gate, so you could easily see a bit of the city center on foot.

Can you advise where we might be docked on Sunday, May 26? I tried the port site, but they do not have the schedule up yet. Unfortunately, we have a very limited time in Oslo (07.00 - 15.30) and it's a Sunday. The three things I would love to see would be the new opera house, the Vikingskipshuset, and the Vigelandsparken. Am trying to figure out how to do all that using public transportation. It would help if I knew where I'm starting from!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Can you advise where we might be docked on Sunday, May 26? I tried the port site, but they do not have the schedule up yet. Unfortunately, we have a very limited time in Oslo (07.00 - 15.30) and it's a Sunday. The three things I would love to see would be the new opera house, the Vikingskipshuset, and the Vigelandsparken. Am trying to figure out how to do all that using public transportation. It would help if I knew where I'm starting from! Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Hi, Linda! Your B2B Infinity cruise looks great!! Lots of wonderful places and ports. For May 26 in Oslo, given your very early and short time there on a Sunday, I have a key suggestion. Skip trying to do it by public transportation. I am assuming on a Sunday morning, schedules are more limited and/or it always takes good luck timing, to be making it all work and flow smoothly in a time-efficient manner. A ship tour is not always perfect, but you know what you'll be getting, doing, etc. We didn't do the Vikingskipshuset, but we super loved the Vigeland Park. It's big with lots there. There is also the unknown on your early morning weather and how that impact your efforts.

Below are some highlights on that great sculpture park, the Opera House, etc. By late March or early April, they should have posted the docking locations for the various ships. Hopefully you get the prime location near the historic Fortress.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,022 views.

Oslo’s new Opera House opened in 2008 right on the waterfront at the top or head of the Oslofjord. Home of the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet, it cost over $700 million to build. The main auditorium seats 1,364 seats and has two other performance spaces seating 200 and 400. The main stage is 52 feet wide and 130 feet deep. The angled exterior surfaces of the building are covered with Italian marble and white granite to make it appear to be rising from the water. It is the largest cultural building constructed in Norway since Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim was completed around 1300.:

1A-Oslo-NewOpera.jpg

More visuals showing the wide range of art by Vigeland at the large park named for him in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat5.jpg

OslVigPdKids.jpg

OslVigPkIronGate.jpg

OslVigPkMother.jpg

OslVigPkSunDial.jpg

Hi, Linda! Your B2B Infinity cruise looks great!! Lots of wonderful places and ports. For May 26 in Oslo, given your very early and short time there on a Sunday, I have a key suggestion. Skip trying to do it by public transportation. I am assuming on a Sunday morning, schedules are more limited and/or it always takes good luck timing, to be making it all work and flow smoothly in a time-efficient manner. A ship tour is not always perfect, but you know what you'll be getting, doing, etc. We didn't do the Vikingskipshuset, but we super loved the Vigeland Park. It's big with lots there. There is also the unknown on your early morning weather and how that impact your efforts.

Below are some highlights on that great sculpture park, the Opera House, etc. By late March or early April, they should have posted the docking locations for the various ships. Hopefully you get the prime location near the historic Fortress.

Wow, looks like you had great weather, Terry!

I haven't really looked at the shore excursions yet and I find it hard to believe that they'd have one that would do just those 3 things, but I'll take a look at them. Basically, I really hate organized (by someone else) excursions and try to avoid them if at all possible.

Perhaps the person who lives in Oslo will have some tips for me.

Maybe that's why we're going in so early--to get the prime docking spot? Who knows?

Wow, looks like you had great weather, Terry! I haven't really looked at the shore excursions yet and I find it hard to believe that they'd have one that would do just those 3 things, but I'll take a look at them. Basically, I really hate organized (by someone else) excursions and try to avoid them if at all possible. Perhaps the person who lives in Oslo will have some tips for me. Maybe that's why we're going in so early--to get the prime docking spot? Who knows?[/size][/font]

Yes, Linda, we had great weather in Oslo and most other places during our pre-cruise time in southern England and then in Russia and for the Baltics. Understand fully the desire to avoid the big bus crowds and things not be being focused on your needs and interests. Great that you've got a local friend there who can maybe help get those logistics made easier. One of the best things is that Vigeland Park is open 24/7. You can do that stop early, early in the am when all of the other places are not open.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,022 views.

Can you advise where we might be docked on Sunday, May 26? I tried the port site, but they do not have the schedule up yet. Unfortunately, we have a very limited time in Oslo (07.00 - 15.30) and it's a Sunday. The three things I would love to see would be the new opera house, the Vikingskipshuset, and the Vigelandsparken. Am trying to figure out how to do all that using public transportation. It would help if I knew where I'm starting from!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

You asked in another post if you would miss out by seeing only the exterior of the opera house, and honestly, I don't think you will. The interior is very modern, Scandinavian design, but unless you're a design/architecture enthusiast, the interior might be a little unspectacular. The exterior, with its slanted walk-up roof and open public space is really the highlight.

Unfortunately you're right that the pier assignments aren't up yet. They usually appear around March, so if you check back in about a month, you might have more luck. In past years, Celebrity has typically docked at the main piers downtown (Akershuskaia and Vippetangen), but of course it's no guarantee. I can help you with transit from there, but if you end up at Filipstad, a taxi for at least the first leg will be your best, since Filipstad has almost no public transit options.

I can understand not wanting to do a tour and trying to use public transit. I really like figuring out the local transit system, even when I'm just in town for a single port day. Luckily, the Oslo transit system is convenient and relatively easy to navigate, even if you're not a local or a Norwegian speaker. You can double check the transit timings on the transit website closer to your sailing date (http://reiseplanlegger.ruter.no/en). Only the winter timings are available right now, and some of the timings change around 17 May.

Arriving at 7, I would start with Vigelands Park, because it's open 24 hours, and it's farthest from the port. I would head to the opera house second, because then you can take a bus straight to the Viking Ships.

To get Vigelands Park, the closest transit option is the Tram 12 at Rådhusplassen, about 5 minutes walk from the ship in front of the city hall. The tram towards Majorstuen stops at Vigelandsparken, right outside the gates. However, at that time on a Sunday, it only runs every 30 minutes (currently at :12 and :42). Alternatively, if you walk up to the Nationaltheatret T-bane (subway) station. (Ignore that 90° turn; Google maps doesn't understand the idea of walking diagonally across a big public square! ;) ) You can buy a one-day pass at a machine in the station or at the Narvesen convenience store outside, which will be cheaper than individual tickets. (If you take the tram 12 from Rådhusplassen, there is a 7-11 behind the city hall, where you can buy tickets). If you take any westbound subway, the next stop is Majorstuen. From the front entrance of the station, turn right on Kirkeveien, and it's an 8-minute walk to the park. (Alternatively, in front of the station, if a bus 20 towards Skøyen or a tram 12 is leaving soon, you can take either to Vigelandsparken, two stops away).

After Vigelands Park, head to the Majorstuen T-bane station (walk, bus, or tram) and catch any train back downtown (eastbound). Get down at Jernbanetorget, which is the stop for the central train station. The opera house is on the south side of the station. The easiest route is to follow the signs into the train station, and keep going straight across to the other side, where there is a pedestrian bridge to the opera.

To get from the opera house to the viking ship museum is quite simple. Walk back across the pedestrian bridge, and headto the front of the central station. From there, catch a bus #30 to Bygdøy, which runs every 10 minutes. After about 20 minutes, get down at Vikingskipene, right outside the museum.

I believe the ferry begins running around 17 May, in which case the easiest way to get back to the city center from the viking ship museum is to walk straight down Huk Aveny to the ferry pier, and take the ferry back to the city hall. Otherwise, you can take the bus 30 back to Nationaltheatret and walk from there.

Helpful entries for the trip planner on Ruter:

Rådhuset - city hall, 5 minutes' walk from the central cruise pier

Vigelandsparken - transit stop in front of Vigelands Park

Vikingskipene - Viking ship museum

Den Norske Opera og Ballett - opera house

(If you decide to change the order, the best way to travel between Vigelands Park and the viking ships is to take the bus 20 to Olav Kyrres plass, where you can switch to the bus 30. Or vice versa.)

Kaisatsu, thank you so much for that information! It's so wonderful having our own little network of travel guides in many places around the world. I do like taking public transportation, it makes me feel more like I'm in the place.

I would like to see the inside of the opera house as I really enjoy architecture and I understand that shipbuilders did the wood work. However, something will probably have to give due to the time limit, so thank you for your advise on that.

Kaisatsu, thank you so much for that information! It's so wonderful having our own little network of travel guides in many places around the world. I do like taking public transportation, it makes me feel more like I'm in the place.

I would like to see the inside of the opera house as I really enjoy architecture and I understand that shipbuilders did the wood work. However, something will probably have to give due to the time limit, so thank you for your advise on that.

If the guided tour is at 13:00, you would probably have time to go. I don't know how long the long the tour lasts, but even if it's 90 minutes, that would still give you an hour to get back to the ship, and it's not far away (20 minutes' walk).

If you want to try that, you could change the above order and head from Vigelands to the Viking ships (which opens at 9). From there you could take the ferry back and have lunch on the ship or in town, or you could take the bus 30 all the way to Jernbanetorget and head straight to the opera. There is a cafe in the opera house that gets good reviews (both online and from people I know) though I haven't eaten there. http://www.brasseriesanguine.no/en/

Visiting Vigelands Park typically takes 45-60 minutes, though if the weather is nice it can be nice to walk around other parts of the park as well. People who've visited me have spent anywhere fom 20 minutes to an hour at the Viking ships. It's not a big place, so I felt like I was able to look at everything at a relaxed pace and read the descriptions in around 45 minutes.

If the guided tour is at 13:00, you would probably have time to go. I don't know how long the long the tour lasts, but even if it's 90 minutes, that would still give you an hour to get back to the ship, and it's not far away (20 minutes' walk).

If you want to try that, you could change the above order and head from Vigelands to the Viking ships (which opens at 9). From there you could take the ferry back and have lunch on the ship or in town, or you could take the bus 30 all the way to Jernbanetorget and head straight to the opera. There is a cafe in the opera house that gets good reviews (both online and from people I know) though I haven't eaten there. http://www.brasseriesanguine.no/en/

Visiting Vigelands Park typically takes 45-60 minutes, though if the weather is nice it can be nice to walk around other parts of the park as well. People who've visited me have spent anywhere fom 20 minutes to an hour at the Viking ships. It's not a big place, so I felt like I was able to look at everything at a relaxed pace and read the descriptions in around 45 minutes.

Thanks again for more insight and helpful hints!

Archived