On board Good but a little disappointed

aussie_nsw

Hi All,

Boarded Riveria today in Miami, staff at port were nice, had to remind them that we maybe needed our photo taken after we checked in & were told to board. Boarding process was quick & then we went up to The Terrace for lunch.

After lunch we decided to check out the premium drink package, even though it is a per day rate, the champagne we had lunch COULD NOT be included, but I asked isn't it a per day rate, yes BUT NO EXCEPTION, BUY IT NOW AND THE CHAMPAGNE BOUGHT ON THE SAME DAY WOULD NOT BE INCLUDED. I asked if he could possible check, a quick 2 second call and bad luck for us. Pay for both.

Okay, our tickets have the information regarding the package advertising it at $49 not $54 so as our tickets state $49 shouldn't that be the per day price. NO, again after calling the conceirge, who explained to us it was our STUPID Australian travel agent fault for using old ticket booklets, definitely not Oceania's fault, as they have not used those booklets for a while and have updated all documentation, the price must be $54 and she would check on a refund for our champagne as reception as now stated we could have it BUT no promises but did promise to get back o us by 6pm at the latest, it is now midnight and still no word from her.

Still after all this we signed up, as it would make our cruise more relaxing. We decided to go to our cabin to unpack & after all this telling us it was our STUPID travel agent's fault for using old documentation, in our cabin was the previous occupants ticket booklet from the previous cruise with EXACTLY the same offer for $49 per day. Some things I can forgive, lying is not one of them.

Regards

Caroline

Read the thread just a couple above your titled "Liquor Packages" it reflects the brand new pkg prices that went into effect Dec 2012...

Read thru that thread and see the comments and then decide how you want to deal with this issue.

Hi All,

Boarded Riveria today in Miami, staff at port were nice, had to remind them that we maybe needed our photo taken after we checked in & were told to board. Boarding process was quick & then we went up to The Terrace for lunch.

After lunch we decided to check out the premium drink package, even though it is a per day rate, the champagne we had lunch COULD NOT be included, but I asked isn't it a per day rate, yes BUT NO EXCEPTION, BUY IT NOW AND THE CHAMPAGNE BOUGHT ON THE SAME DAY WOULD NOT BE INCLUDED. I asked if he could possible check, a quick 2 second call and bad luck for us. Pay for both.

Okay, our tickets have the information regarding the package advertising it at $49 not $54 so as our tickets state $49 shouldn't that be the per day price. NO, again after calling the conceirge, who explained to us it was our STUPID Australian travel agent fault for using old ticket booklets, definitely not Oceania's fault, as they have not used those booklets for a while and have updated all documentation, the price must be $54 and she would check on a refund for our champagne as reception as now stated we could have it BUT no promises but did promise to get back o us by 6pm at the latest, it is now midnight and still no word from her.

Still after all this we signed up, as it would make our cruise more relaxing. We decided to go to our cabin to unpack & after all this telling us it was our STUPID travel agent's fault for using old documentation, in our cabin was the previous occupants ticket booklet from the previous cruise with EXACTLY the same offer for $49 per day. Some things I can forgive, lying is not one of them.

Regards

Caroline

I doubt that the concierge used that specific language to you and I do believe you may be exagerating just a bit..The people on Oceania do not talk that way to passengers ever!!

Jancruz1

To the OP re: having your drinks at lunch included. I think that O is in the right for not including these as they were purchased prior to the pkg. The fact that they were willing to explore covering it is a bonus.

Now to the issue of the pricing of your pkg. you stated that your TA gave you a rate of 49 printed on your ticket. You likely could make a case for this but in the bigger scheme of things is 5/day going to ruin yiur cruise and worth calling someone a liar.

I just went to a TA site that sells a lot of Regent and also O and on their site it lists the pkg at 50 per day. If I was going to purchase a pkg I would always ask the company

Sorry you have seemingly had a bad start but try to enjoy it and enjoy your drink....have a wonderful time

Or, find a different TA. Mine was one of the first to be aware of the change and announced it to her clients and others before we had heard anything. But then, she's extraordinarily close to Oceania.

Or, spend more time on Cruise Critic. There was quite a brouhaha when it was announced here on November 29.

Finding it a little hard to blame Oceania in this case, when things are listed as 'subject to change' that is pretty much what it means.

When you elect not to buy early and lock-in the price, but wait until you are on-board the risk you balance against that is that the price might go up.

I can sort of see the issue about the same day purchases not being included though, perhaps you should only be able to buy the package to commence from the following day to avoid the problem?

Personally I'd just form a judgement at the point when I bought it as to the likelihood of consuming the requisite amount over the balance of that day, if the math didn't work out I'd just wait until the following day to purchase it.

No one seems to have commented about your thinking you needed a photo taken when you boarded.

A photo is taken at check-in but that is intended for security purposes. Oceania does not have a photographer, so you don't need a photo taken.

Were you thinking of something else?

From what I have read here, the Australian TAs do seem to collect more money for less work.

Mura

Thank you for all your replies.

The issue is not $5 but the way it was handled, and thank you all we are relaxing and enjoying. The main dining room was the best on a ship we have every encountered even on the first night. I still do object to fobbing off the blame to our travel agent and yes the previous passenger booklet is most definitely in our cabin. I am not an avid CC poster and may have missed the previous thread but sending documents with the wrong information then blaming someone else in the manner she did still irks me. By the way she still has not got back to us. Maybe our expectations for service was a bit high due to all the stunning reviews here.

It was the security photo that was forgotten, but quickly remedied when we asked the question Did you need a photo?

Regards

Caroline

I think the title of your thread took everyone back a bit. Always have to be careful with titles because it gave the impression something awful had happened, but upon reading it really doesn't seem like a big enough deal to already be disappointed after just a matter of hours onboard.

Relax and enjoy. I have a feeling as you take deep breaths in the coming hours yesterday will seem like a trifle.

It was the security photo that was forgotten, but quickly remedied when we asked the question Did you need a photo?

Wow! I have never heard of that EVER happening! Although come to think of it, I think on one recent cruise they almost forgot our photo ... You'd think that's an automatic part of the process -- that the people checking you in would never forget the photo.

Mura

Glad to read that you are now enjoying your cruise.

Not to defend O but by way of explanation your agent should really have notified you. I was in a similar position as you with a cruise booked during the time period that the price for the drinks package was increased.

I first learned of it from a post here on CC's Oceania board (a great community!)

Curious and wanting confirmation I called O directly to have the details clarified. I questioned why this would affect me when I had a cruise already booked or why I was not notified, if nothing else but just for good communications (and a possible sale). I was told that the TAs had been advised and were instructed to pass this information along to their clients so that we could make an informed purchase. I bought the package on the phone at that time.

Like you, the travel agent I used for that booking (based in the USA) never did send me a notice. In fact I've still not heard anything more from them. It really is the responsibility of the TA. If I booked directly with O then they would deal with me on every matter concerning the cruise. But I chose to use an agent. That agent is getting paid from O to manage the booking for me. It takes time, effort and resources to do that so it only makes sense that being as they're being paid a fee they should also be doing the work. There is a contractual arrangement between the agent and O so O simply cannot even discuss certain issues directly with me.

Needless to say I'm considering a different agent.

Happy sailing, Slàinte!

I thought I had read that if you took the package on day one that any drinks purchased that day before you got the package would be credited back to your account

Someone will correct me if I am wrong

As to the photo at check in

I think these people are employed by the Port Authority & may someone was new at the job ..does not excuse the error but it would have been caught when they scanned you aboard

Lyn

...As to the photo at check in

I think these people are employed by the Port Authority...

Actually, the folks who manage shore side operations for the cruise lines are hired by the cruise lines. There usually are Port Authority personnel around, but the greeters and folks who check you in are from an agency hired for that purpose.

In the past, Oceania used InterCruises as the agency, but recently (I think it was around November) switched to a company that has long represented cruise lines in Europe but just opened Miami operations in early 2012. Oceania's new agency is SMS International, with headquarters in Malta. They handled check-in for us when we boarded Dec 10 in Miami; it was one of the first times they were used. SMS also handles Regent and NCL.

It may be the fact that they are new in Miami, and may have had some new hires on the check-in desk, that led to the "forgetfulness" about the photo. I'm willing to bet the software has some sort of error check or fail-safe check that would not have allowed the account to be created unless all the steps had been taken; the OP was probably "faster on their feet" than the clerk.

Actually, the folks who manage shore side operations for the cruise lines are hired by the cruise lines. There usually are Port Authority personnel around, but the greeters and folks who check you in are from an agency hired for that purpose.

thanks Don

I did not think they were employees of Oceania

Mistakes can happen in any job

I must admit I have made a few in my life ...none life threatening ;)

Good thing I am not a surgeon :D

Lyn

We have always found Miami to be the least organized of any of the check-ins. Don't know whether it has to do with the "laid back" attitude of Miami or what. On our last cruise out of Miami they forgot to get credit card info and almost everyone on board got notices to come to reception to provide the info.

The overseas check-ins have always gone more smoothly.

In any event it is a minor problem and shouldn't spoil a cruise.

Archived