Any Sealife sightings on a Transatlantic

billyvegas

On many occasions I have seen pods of dolphins. Often there is an announcement from the bridge as to which side they have been sited. Beautiful creatures to watch.

You will also see the odd seabirds in the middle of the Atlantic.

Enjoy your crossing; I still think it is something very special.

Hello,

I am going on a my first TA in April and wondered if any of you seasoned TA travellers had seen any wild life in the Ocean (not onboard) on your crossings.

Whales & Dolphins on previous crossings... but the last crossing was so rough I didn't see any wildlife :( .

Have a great time, Bon Voyage!

This reminds me of our honeymoon cruise on the Mediterranean Sea. We were on a ship with floor to ceiling windows in the MDR and having lunch when someone yelled 'I see a whale!'

Of course we all ran to look before realizing that there are no whales in the Mediterranean. So the joke was on us.

If you don't have too high expectations on what sea life you'll encounter, you may be pleasantly surprised. And hopefully it won't be a joke.

Thanks for all your kind replies. I have been lucky enough to see Dolphins before and once on a Fjords cruise a pod of Pilot Whales. I will never tire of seeing them in their natural habitat.

I am one of those people who spend ages looking out to sea and just wanted to know it wouldn't be in vain.

Billy

I know, sounds pretty dull. But it is somehow wonderful to watch them pop out of the water, "fly" across the surface and dive back again. They tend to come in bunches, so it is also fun to try and find them.

We've seen many dolphin, some whales and a lot of sargasso weed, as well.

You may also find that staring at the water as it rushes past, trying to FIND sea life, is even more of a pleasure than seeing the animals. For some reason, watching the water is "more special" on a crossing.

Enjoy!

35 years ago, I was in the Australian Navy. I have strong memories of seeing lots of wildlife at sea -- especially flying fish.

In recent years we have crossed many of the major Oceans/seas of the World -- Pacific, Indian, North Atlantic, North, Mediterranean, South China, Baltic, Caribbean, Red, Tasman, Arabian -- and I have been quite disappointed at the lack of sealife that we have seen. Have seen lots of floating plastic though:mad:

Barry

This reminds me of our honeymoon cruise on the Mediterranean Sea. We were on a ship with floor to ceiling windows in the MDR and having lunch when someone yelled 'I see a whale!'

Of course we all ran to look before realizing that there are no whales in the Mediterranean. So the joke was on us.

If you don't have too high expectations on what sea life you'll encounter, you may be pleasantly surprised. And hopefully it won't be a joke.

There are whales in the Mediterranean, I've seen a few ;) On a HAL ship, there even was an announcement from the bridge

Hello,

I am going on a my first TA in April and wondered if any of you seasoned TA travellers had seen any wild life in the Ocean (not onboard) on your crossings.

Hi YES, there is life out there!! But you need to look and bring binoculars.

you can buy it on board (QM2), in the photo shop.

I have seen dolphins,whales ,great white sharks,sun fish,turtles. There is a fishing ground south of nova scotia and off new England.

Sea birds(gannett & gulls) I have seen a pigeon land on the deck while i was in the hot tube!!!!!(off the coast of Ireland)

Look out for song birds!! many birds are lost at sea from storms and stay on board the ship. Finch,and I was surprised to see a Cedar waxwing .

The crew does feed the stray birds

I took a Carnival cruise once.:eek: There were whales in the pool!:eek::eek:

Be CAREFUL JIM!! I mentioned "beached whales" once in this Forum and was roundly chastised by Admin:)

But I DID see'em, I swear!!

Barry

We all talk about the stability of these modern goliaths but we should also remember they are without a doubt exceedingly noisey beasts which means that underwater life will hear these things from miles and miles away. Why go near something that makes so much noise unless it wants to?

Dolphins enjoy bow riding, they sometimes enjoy 'playing' with shipping but don't forget these Cunard ships are travelling in excess of 800 yards per minute and whilst some creatures can keep up with them for a limited period, they are not going to stay for very long.

We need to be in the right place at the right time and to see more 'life' should we be travelling much, MUCH slower :)

We all talk about the stability of these modern goliaths but we should also remember they are without a doubt exceedingly noisey beasts which means that underwater life will hear these things from miles and miles away. Why go near something that makes so much noise unless it wants to?

...Which was rumored to be a whale. And, while that rumor ran around the ship, it turned out that another ship HAD hit a sleeping whale and had not found it until arriving in port where the thing was wedged between the bow and the bulbous bow. A pilot whale, I think it was. Which suggests maybe that type of whale needs a new name.

...Which was rumored to be a whale. And, while that rumor ran around the ship, it turned out that another ship HAD hit a sleeping whale and had not found it until arriving in port where the thing was wedged between the bow and the bulbous bow. A pilot whale, I think it was. Which suggests maybe that type of whale needs a new name.

where was all the high tech navigational radar ? Thought it could detect submerged objects.reefs.rocks.. Reminds me of Concordia,COSTA

Also Hitting a sleeping whale is tragic, and very sad to hear and it was just brushed off as a "thing" was wedged under the ship? Is this the QM2?

where was all the high tech navigational radar ? Thought it could detect submerged objects.reefs.rocks.. Reminds me of Concordia,COSTA

Also Hitting a sleeping whale is tragic, and very sad to hear and it was just brushed off as a "thing" was wedged under the ship? Is this the QM2?

I am not the brightest kid on theblock and I have NO idea of what you are trying to say.

Are you suggesting ships have underwater radar?

How does what remind you of the tragic incident involving the Concordia? :confused::o

Apologies for being so fik

John

Archived