Soon the Caribbean Princess will Leave out of Houston Port! Which Hotel is good?

jp20

I knew which hotel I wanted when the Caribbean Princess was leaving from Galveston, Texas but now its leaving from Houston Port. Can you give suggestions please as to where we should get reasonable lodgings.

There are many hotels and restaurants in the Clear Lake area which is just south of the port. Most major chains are represented and the Johnson Space Flight Center is there which has a really good exhibit. We always stay at the LaQuinta but have stayed at the Hilton and Courtyard.

I knew which hotel I wanted when the Caribbean Princess was leaving from Galveston, Texas but now its leaving from Houston Port. Can you give suggestions please as to where we should get reasonable lodgings.

When did this change take place? As far as I know the Crown is docking at Galveston.

When did this change take place? As far as I know the Crown is docking at Galveston.

Yes, the Crown is at Galveston this season, but the Caribbean will be in Seabrook next season.

Reason: The Port of Houston built a cruise terminal several years ago with the philosophy that if it was buuilt, the cruise ships would come. Well, nobody came. The only time it was used was when a hurricane's damage kept ships from docking in Galveston.

So, in order to get some use out of this terminal, as politically it is not good to have spent $108 million for a facility that sits empty, the Port bribed both Princess ($685,000) and NCL ($6,000,000) to use the new terminal. Princess only committed to do this for the next season (which leads me to speculate they will not be back in the area the following season) and NCL for three seasons. The two cruise lines will also not have to pay any docking fees.

http://www.examiner.com/article/port-of-houston-cruise-terminal-finally-sees-regular-tenants

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Port-will-pay-6-7-million-to-lure-two-cruise-4051674.php

Yes, the Crown is at Galveston this season, but the Caribbean will be in Seabrook next season.

Reason: The Port of Houston built a cruise terminal several years ago with the philosophy that if it was buuilt, the cruise ships would come. Well, nobody came. The only time it was used was when a hurricane's damage kept ships from docking in Galveston.

So, in order to get some use out of this terminal, as politically it is not good to have spent $108 million for a facility that sits empty, the Port bribed both Princess ($685,000) and NCL ($6,000,000) to use the new terminal. Princess only committed to do this for the next season (which leads me to speculate they will not be back in the area the following season) and NCL for three seasons. The two cruise lines will also not have to pay any docking fees.

http://www.examiner.com/article/port-of-houston-cruise-terminal-finally-sees-regular-tenants

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Port-will-pay-6-7-million-to-lure-two-cruise-4051674.php

I knew about Houston building this ghost facility. NCL did use it for a while until they left the area. I did not know about Princess using next season. Thanks for the heads up.

There is stuff in La Porte and in Kemah. Both are about 6-7 miles from the port.

La Porte has less to do, but more places to stay. Kemah has a lot more to do, but fewer choices.

Looks like most of the hotels are pretty cheap. I don't know what they would actually run on a cruise night.

If you have a car, I'd suggest staying further away from the cruise terminal, but definitely check out Kemah. It's a good way to spend an evening.

I knew about Houston building this ghost facility. NCL did use it for a while until they left the area...

Actually, NCL used the Port of Houston terminal at Barbours Cut until they left in 2007. The Port of Houston Bayport Cruise Terminal is a different location in Pasadena, TX. Bayport was completed after NCL left Barbours Cut. The only time cruise ships have used Bayport was in 2008 by Carnival for a short time due to Hurricane Ike damage at the Port of Galveston.

Kat 50.gif

Actually' date=' NCL used the Port of Houston terminal at Barbours Cut until they left in 2007. The Port of Houston Bayport Cruise Terminal is a different location in Pasadena, TX. Bayport was completed [u']after[/u] NCL left Barbours Cut. The only time cruise ships have used Bayport was in 2008 by Carnival for a short time due to Hurricane Ike damage at the Port of Galveston.

Kat 50.gif

Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived