All things wi fi

Thanks for the iPhone link.

Iphone should work, just turn off data, and it will only use wifi.

If you want no calls etc, you can turn to airplane mode and then just turn wifi back on in settings.

Anyone know the charge now on Vision of the Seas, ican you buy the weekly package as on the facebook fan page is says they moving over to these plans, instead of the 0.75 a min

I used Skype on my iPod touch in nov 2012 but had some issues using it in dec 2012 went on 4 exlpoyer cruises in 2012 just know your passwords and I'd for your Skype and other log ins I believe it is a firewall blocking thing

Also you can get a signal in theater on deck 4 on pool deck, in the schooner bar, and deck 14 dizzeys I think also in studio b. since I had forward cabin I just went to schooner bar if I needed to check email also u need to initially set up account in computer lounge and it is a 2 part process so read directions carefully. This info is for the Exployer of the seas.

I haven't seen any but I plan to do that onboard the Oasis in 3 weeks. I hear descriptive like "slow as molassas" to "ok" and I'm a numbers kind of guy. If everything works out I will have a speedtest.net report sometime late on 2/23 or 2/24. Something like this:

2472094643.png

Although I suspect not quite as fast.

The last time I did a speed test on RCL it was half a meg I would love 10% of what we recieve in the UK

2475231032.png

The browser you use has nothing to do with how well your wifi works. Your browser only knows HTTP, not entirely but basically true. The incoming wifi signal is converted to something the browser recognizes by the physical electronic hardware built into the computer and the wifi subsystems of the OS. At that point the data will appear the same to any browser. Differences in speed are most likely caused by browser compatibility with the website you are attempting to load. HTML is supposed to be a standard but not all browsers decipher it the same. IE used to be the standard all websites were written to but that is changing. Still, if you want the most compatible browser IE is probably going to be it. Most people I know who use Chrome or Netscape still occasionally have to use IE to get some websites to display correctly. I've used Firefox and Netscape, but not Chrome, and didn't see any real advantage for my basic form of web browsing so IE is still what I use.
When you have a fast connection, the speed of your browser may not matter, but with a slow connection like the satellite connection on a ship), your browser can make a huge difference in how fast a page loads. Currently Chrome is reported as the fastest for most pages. IE is badly outdated and no longer a standard at all. There are sites that require it, but there are also sites that won't run in it at all. As always, your mileage may vary.

Enjoy

Ron

When you have a fast connection, the speed of your browser may not matter, but with a slow connection like the satellite connection on a ship), your browser can make a huge difference in how fast a page loads. Currently Chrome is reported as the fastest for most pages. IE is badly outdated and no longer a standard at all. There are sites that require it, but there are also sites that won't run in it at all. As always, your mileage may vary.

Enjoy

Ron

Most of your post has little to do with what I said. I did mention speed issues were more likely compatibility issues between browser and website. The OP question was did browser speed affect wifi speed and the answer is still it doesn't. I realize the OP may be misusing technical terms they are not fully familiar with but I answered the question as asked. I use IE9 on Win7 and other people seem to agree it is probably MS's best iteration of their browser yet.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9214674/Internet_Explorer_9_speeds_past_the_competition?taxonomyId=167&pageNumber=1

We sailed with our ipad for the first time a few weeks ago on the Adventure. We used it occasionally on the promenade, using our 90 mins free form C&A coupons. But we found that in every port there was someplace that advertised free wi-fi. We would sit down and order a $2-3 beer and get the password. Voila unlimited HIGH SPEED wif-fi. I could send pics to facebook, and email just as fast as at home. on the ship it would take forever.

I found that being on the computer in ports was sufficient enough that I never really needed to log on on the ship. Did it anyway just because of the free 90 mins.

Also to log off we just turned the wi-fi off.

Most of your post has little to do with what I said. I did mention speed issues were more likely compatibility issues between browser and website. The OP question was did browser speed affect wifi speed and the answer is still it doesn't. I realize the OP may be misusing technical terms they are not fully familiar with but I answered the question as asked. I use IE9 on Win7 and other people seem to agree it is probably MS's best iteration of their browser yet.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9214674/Internet_Explorer_9_speeds_past_the_competition?taxonomyId=167&pageNumber=1

Agreed you can't change the actual speed of the Wifi system itself; b will never =g will never =n, but what most most people care about is how fast pages load. That to them is what "speed" is. When you are paying by the minute, how fast you can get to what you came to see is what matters.The article you refer to compares IE 9 to Chrome 10. How about something up to date? IE10 vs. Chrome 24. http://lifehacker.com/browser-speed-tests/

Probably the most imortant test for someone on a cruise is load url. Which Chrome wins. IE has improved, but just because it the best version of IE yet, doesn't mean it's the best browser.

As always your mileage may vary,

Ron

On Radiance in NZ last week, wi-fi worked wherever I tried on ship on i-Pad & i-Phone. Something like $50 for 90mins. Logged on, downloaded email, logged off and wrote replies and then logged on again to send - made most of the minutes. Also used the wi-fi to make calls on Tango, and access FB.

Hi.

A question arose on another thread. Please can someone confirm that the USB ports on the ship computers are disabled. It was suggested that someone could transfer images to a USB stick from a camera / cell phone somehow as a means of backup.

Linda, I don't know if the USB ports are disabled but I do know they are not accessible as the ship's desktop computers on RC and X we've been on have been locked in a cabinet so you can't even see the computer's case.

Linda, I don't know if the USB ports are disabled but I do know they are not accessible as the ship's desktop computers on RC and X we've been on have been locked in a cabinet so you can't even see the computer's case.

This has been my experience also, the computers are totally inaccessible.

Thanks. Will add this to the question in the other thread. :)

From the main RCCL board and well worth the read.

I was looking for information at the Office of the National Counteringelligence Executive and stumbled upon this today, and thought that since many people here travel with these devices, it might be useful. It is only a couple of pages long, is well organized, and is easy to understand. Hope it's useful.

http://www.ncix.gov/publications/reports/docs/traveltips.pdf

I am definitely curious to see a recent speed test from Oasis, there has been some recent press regarding the O3b Networks deal. They claim to be able to support "fiber like" speeds using their "steerable satellite", here is some more information:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2012/o3b-networks-to-provide-ultra-fast-internet-communications-to-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-aboard-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-and-most-innovative-cruise-ship

There isn't much information on when this will actually be implemented or if it already is...

I am definitely curious to see a recent speed test from Oasis, there has been some recent press regarding the O3b Networks deal. They claim to be able to support "fiber like" speeds using their "steerable satellite", here is some more information:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-centre/press-releases/2012/o3b-networks-to-provide-ultra-fast-internet-communications-to-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-aboard-the-world%E2%80%99s-largest-and-most-innovative-cruise-ship

There isn't much information on when this will actually be implemented or if it already is...

O3b have not yet launched their satellite constellation, so you will have to wait until much later in the year :)

any idea of the actual timeframe?

First four are due to fly on May 29, second four in August (although one launch schedule is now showing "or 2014" for both flights). They say they can and will operate with 8 satellites (they claim 6 as the minimum possible) and are supposed to add redundancy with a further flight of four in 2014.

I don't know how long after launch their commercial services will start to operate or how far up the list the cruise ship service will be, I'm afraid. O3b play their cards close to their chest, but I'll see if a couple of chums in the industry know anything :)

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Thanks everyone. Great thread, great info.

I just recently called RCCL about WIFI on Explorer. Silly me, I didn't know the older, un-upgraded ships don't have wifi all over.

ANYWAY, I was told as of Feb 2013 and until FEb 2014 the following are the Hot Spots on EOS:

Crown Lounge

Solarium iCafe

Library

Cafe Promenade

Crown & Kettle

Schooner Bar

Conference Room

I am not sailing until May so don't hold your breath for reports, but I'll probably live blog if I can get connections anywhere, and will report on the wifi.