Pillow Menu?????

nyfarmgirl

Call me stupid but what is the "pillow menu" that is provided in CC and AQ cabins?

Too funny. If it's stupid, call me stupid too:) I've been wondering the same thing.

So, how do you choose... down-sunny side up... synthetic-over easy... body-soft boiled???

Seriously, I can sleep on pretty much anything but I'm curious, do they give you options to sample?

Sailed AQ on all 3 X cruises that I have been on. The first time I asked the room steward about the pillow menu and he said all the pillows are on the bed, just choose the one you want to use.

The second cruise the steward said he didn't know about any menu but the pillows have always been the same.

On the 3rd cruise I finally found a pillow "menu" in the directory. Don't remember what was on it but it was useless because it may have told about what they were but there was nothing to identify what was what. I guess the first guy was right, choose the one you like.

What you will realize is most of the perks are just a lot of fluff with no substance.

Edited by miched

I was just in CC on the 2 night Connie and I don't recall seeing a Pillow Menu in the blue book, there were an assortment of pillows on the bed though, 3 for each of us I believe.

I'm pretty selective about pillows as I have had a spinal fusion :( in my neck and sleeping "wrong" can cause me a miserable day. With our first ever 14 night cruise in Feb '14 - I was worried and thinking I might have to carry a pillow onboard to ensure that I had no problems. After the Connie cruise I now know that I won't have too, so menu or not - if what is in your cabin doesn't meet your needs - ask for something different.

Our experience is that the pillow menus are often not there. If you ask for a pillow menu then most room stewards will look at you with a blank face and have no idea what you are talking about. However, if you ask them for a particular type of pillow (synthetic, feather, body or shaped memory foam) they should be able to get it for you. For some reason they often say that they are unsure if they can get it for you but always seem to come through on the request. I get the impression that the other pillows are not always easy for them to find.

But if you do ask for different pillows then be prepared to have lots of extras around the room - they never take any away.

... I'm curious, do they give you options to sample?

No they do not.

On the Constellation a few years back in CC there was a pillow menu and I ordered a body pillow, turned out, I don't like body pillows :). I can't remember if there was one on the Solstice in 2011, I was evidently happy with the one I had. But it could be an opportunity to try different pillows than what you are used to without buying one.

If you decide you love the memory foam, send me an email, I have two slightly used that came free with my mattress I'll sell you cheap! ;)

But if you do ask for different pillows then be prepared to have lots of extras around the room - they never take any away.

You just need to connect with the cabin steward to let him/her know which pillow(s) you would like taken away. They probably don't take them away without talking to you for fear of removing the wrong ones. We have had no problem getting them to remove pillows when we talk to them.

We were just on the Equinox a couple weeks ago in Concierge class. After looking through everything in the books, I did find a small list of pillows available. I think the choices were feather, synthetic, isotonic and body pillow. Not a huge variety. I just asked the cabin steward to bring an isotonic pillow for me. She did so. However, I laid on the pillow and kept wondering why I smelled smoke. I thought someone was smoking on the balcony. Come to finally figure out that the pillow itself smelled like it was in a cabin with a chain smoker. That's what happens when people smoke in their cabins. Yuk.

hooray! Somehow in all my research I never realized that I'd have access to the same choices, even when only booked in a veranda cabin. I knew I'd be able to switch them out if they were down - I'm allergic - but am thrilled to know I can request the others. Does anyone know if the body pillows are down?

Also, do the memory foam pillows 'sleep hot' the way the mattresses do? I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm not paying the AC bill =P Synthetic firm would be lovely...

I bring my own pillow whenever I leave home for the night, week, month..lol

Being very OCD I can not sleep without it. I also purchase a body pillow when I cruise (usually at Target, Walmart, etc) the day before the cruise and just leave it on board when we disembark. Always tell the cabin steward that I am leaving it, they are all ok with it. I figure it cost me $12.00 and I am comfortable all week long. At home I am known as the pillow queen...

Just off the Silhouette, asked the steward for the pillow menu on the first night...he gave me the blank look and said he would get back to me.....which he never did...I may have asked a 2nd time but didn't bother after that. I should have, the pillows that were on the bed were tiny squares that were not the best.

I bring my own pillow whenever I leave home for the night, week, month..lol

Being very OCD I can not sleep without it. I also purchase a body pillow when I cruise (usually at Target, Walmart, etc) the day before the cruise and just leave it on board when we disembark. Always tell the cabin steward that I am leaving it, they are all ok with it. I figure it cost me $12.00 and I am comfortable all week long. At home I am known as the pillow queen...

I think we are separated at birth. I need a body pillow too and have purchased/left many a body pillow at hotels. I can't tell you how excited I was to see that X has a pillow menu (that included a body pillow). Now I am reading that most cabin stewards don't even know about it. I'm going to hope for the best and ask anyways.

I think we are separated at birth. I need a body pillow too and have purchased/left many a body pillow at hotels. I can't tell you how excited I was to see that X has a pillow menu (that included a body pillow). Now I am reading that most cabin stewards don't even know about it. I'm going to hope for the best and ask anyways.

I'm guessing you'll do better asking for a body pillow than asking for a pillow menu. If they don't know what a body pillow is then describe it and it might click for them. If your cabin steward still doesn't have a clue try calling the Asst. Chief Housekeeper for your section - you're tipping this person with your standard prepaid or auto-tips so you might as well get some service from them.

Remember that while you might be able to get one of these in a standard cabin they are really a perk for CC or above.

Edited by Lsimon

We were on the Constellation recently and there was a pillow menu in the book. We asked for memory pillows and they were given to us that evening during the turn down service. We were in Concierge class.

We have always gotten memory pillows on the Solstice and Eclipse when we have asked.

• 2 months later...

I was going to start a thread about the mysterious pillow menus, and I found this one in progress, and happy to find most everyone's experience the same as mine. We have sailed Aqua Class three times and never ever was there a pillow menu - this has always, for some reason, bugged me - even though, even when we have sailed veranda class, we always get as many pillows, of the specific types, that we request. There is usually a hesitation about the 2 memory foam pillows request, but we always get them. I do wonder though, as I look through the Aqua Class amenities description, about the "Aroma Scent Selections" and the "Euro Face Towel" - never seen either of these! "Foot Spray"??, nope, nor that, ever! No problem though, love AQ Class!! I'm just killing time on Cruise Critic, 2 days away from our next cruise, and I don't want to pack, I hate packing, so I'll just keep searching through the Celebrity threads! :rolleyes:

One of the fun activities on the first day is to try to find where they hid the pillow menu. Out of our last four cruises, all in aqua, I've failed...they must have a secret spot. The second fun activity is finding you room steward to request the pillow you want (from memory). Although I have had two stewards tell me they don't have a pillow menu or optional pillows, after a short discussion, they have always managed to figure it out and get the pillows to our room.

• 4 months later...