Cruise twice on the same ship?

;)

Would you do it again on the same cruise ship? Do you book each of your cruises on a different ship or do you pick a favorite and stick with it?

I'm curious because it seems that about the time I've figured out how to get from one end of the ship to the other the crew has the nerve to ask me to pack my bags and leave.

On the flip side though it is fun to initially get on a ship for the first time and have the "Ohmygawd" reaction.

Just curious as I've never sailed on the same ship twice...yet!

We have sailed the Norway 3 times and if she was still sailing we would do it again!

The Norway could have been an exception to the rule, many people have sailed and there was a lady who had sailed her over 70 times.

We were on the NCL Wind in April and was speaking to the hotel manager and he had alot of fond memories of the Norway as well and knew about this lady.

Perhaps the older ships that were once sailing had alot of repeat customers, not only because of the lower price but the style and classier type ship.

I usually try to book a different ship each time, due to the element of exploration that you mentioned, but would gladly return to my favorites!

My first cruise ship became the "home" of my heart, so I did return to that ship 2 years after I first sailed. I stayed in the same cabin and everything. Had another wonderful time:D .

I have yet to be on a cruise ship and not be overwhelmed with that, "Yep, this is where I belong" feeling. So I can say, definitively, either way is fine with me!

Our first loyalty is to NCL and book them when we can, but we have cruised all but one mass marketed line and will do 2 cruises this year on Celebrity. We chosse Celebrity in Oct as it had the best prices for a transatlantic cruise; we are doing Zenith in December as it is our granddaughter's wedding. We also look at itinerary and price as basis for our choice. NMNita

Yes, we would book the same ship. We have!

We did a repositioning cruise last year on the Sun and just returned from another repo cruise on the Star. Right before this year's cruise, we booked next year's cruise to Alaska, and we chose the Sun.

We loved the Star and will sail her again, too. We don't have too many choices since we prefer to cruise from a West Coast port. Hawaii next????

I sailed on the Norway 23 times (including 3 transatlantic crossings) and loved every one of them. I deeply regret that she is gone.

Some of the advantages to sailing on the same ship are: 1) You learn your way around, so on your subsequent cruises, I you don't waste any time poring over those ship diagrams like a lost soul. 2) You can participate in activities you missed the first time, see shows you missed, or take different tours in port to get more in-depth experience in each location. 3) You make friends with crew and officers. Believe it or not, they DO remember you. I remember ordering my first drink at the poolside bar on Norway. As soon as I said "vodka and soda," the bartender looked up and his face broke into a big grin. He remembered me by my DRINK. Becoming a regular on a ship and acquainted with a few officers can earn you perks such as invitations to private parties or dinner at the captain's table. More than once, the captain sent a bottle of wine to my table. 4) Overall, I think it's more relaxing to return to a ship that becomes as familiar as your "home away from home."

The real problem today (and one which I haven't yet solved) is finding THE ship. They are all so similar and lacking a distinctive personality, it doesn't seem to make much difference which one you're on. Norway was one of a kind and never had that problem, which is why she had a huge contingent of repeat passengers.

I think that it has a lot to do with the Crew and the Cruise Director. My first cruise was this past February on the Dawn.....and I think she has spoiled me for all other ships:D . We were treated like gold - any wish we had was immediately granted...Colin & Mike were so accessible and would personally go out of their way for ANYONE on board!!! My friends and family are sick and tired of hearing about how wonderful it was:o ....so much so that I'm taking my mom on the Dawn's holiday cruise :p (Christmas & New Year's).

I hope that helps answer your question a bit....if you get the chance - try the Dawn - she's AMAZING!!!;)

Let's see...did 2 cruises on the wonderful old Regal Empress some years back (and would do more, but won't fly to FL for a 2 nite cruise.) We're booked for our 2nd Dawn cruise next year (have already had lunch on her twice as well...) Planning our 2nd QM2 for spring, 2007. If something is terrific, why NOT do it again!?! :)

We were on the next to last cruise of the Norway. Would we have cruised on her again? Absolutely!!! That was the most wonderful ship, so elegant and classy. Was she old? Of course. But that only added to her charm. We were so disappointed when we heard she was being scrapped.

I have to agree with the others. If I could find "the" ship I would cruise repeatedly on that ship. The Norway was "the" ship for me.

We are doing it again...the 11-nt NCL WIND around the Hawaiian Islands. We did it last Sept. and we are doing it again this Sept. Guess you can tell we had a great time and loved the WIND. It will be nice to know the ship layout somewhat. There were plenty of activities that we just did not have time to do the first time around....hope to hit on some of those on this next cruise! We can't wait!!!

We went on the Star twice - different itineraries - once to Hawaii the other time to Alaska. Loved it! As someone else mentioned, we recognized some of the crew and they recognized us. It was nice to remember how to get around the ship and we were comfortable with the routine. The only thing we would have liked to be different was that the shows were the same - Jean Ryan Dancers were onboard and doing the same presentation. Shawn (the magician) was different in Alaska and that was a nice treat. After doing it twice we are ready to try something different, but that doesn't mean we won't try it again sometime!

Been on the majesty many times as it is so convient sailing out of Boston to Bermuda a special place. Love the crew. Always enjoy the majesty. Have been on the Dawn twice and as you can see in my signature, will be on her two more times. I guess can not get enough. More to do on the ship that I can fit in.

The only ncl ship I did not sail on more than twice is the sea. LIked the crew but did not care for the ship as much. I would sail her again, but enjoying the majesty and dawn too much.

marie

My wife and I sailed on the Dawn in December 2004 to the Southern Caribbean on deck 9, cabin 9636, mid section, starboard on May 15, 2005 to the Bahamas on Deck 9 cabin 9236, starboard in the stern and will be sailing again on September 4, 2005 in the bow (9502, port, the "Wave" cabin). By then we'll know what part of the ship we like the best. So far, the stern is great when the ship is sailing. NO WIND, so you can enjoy your balcony. Couldn't use the balcony on the December cruise until we got passed South Carolina, TOO COLD!

We're planning one more cruise on the Dawn for 2006 to the Western Caribbean, then it's off to Alaska.

Knowing you're way around the ship is the great, you know how long it takes to get everywhere.

We really love cruising out of New York. No flights to miss.

We have sailed on other cruise lines, but the Dawn is the BEST!:D

Monty

We went on the Dawn last June and were up-graded from a mini suite to a penthouse suite. We were so spoiled and loved the ship and crew so much that we are going again next week, the 12th. Same penthouse suite as last year as well. Last year we ran around trying to do so much stuff. now that we have sailed her already, we plan on relaxing more this year and do some of the things we missed last year. We can't wait. I think we are more excited this time then last.

Somehow I'm not surprised that so many people have mentioned the SS Norway on this thread. We sailed her in Jan. 2003, and would surely have done so again (and again) if not for her tragic demise. Where else could you find a 325 sq. ft. stateroom with two bathrooms classified as a "superior outside"?

Otherwise, we've sailed the Carnival Paradise twice (loved that smokeless atmosphere!) and the Carnival Fantasy several times on 3&4-day trips. And now we're booked twice on the NCL Jewel, but not back-to-back. We'll be doing the West & East Carib. separately with different family members. Twice is nice!:)

Jack

NCL Majesty has been our only repeat ship, although different itinerary. We've been on X, Princess and RCCL as well as NCL.

We have a lot of flexability with our vacation time so we can shop based on price, itinerary and ship.

We, too were on the Norway shortly before her demise :( That is one ship that I'm sure we would have been drawn back to. There was really something special about her. Regarding the lady who sailed her frequently, I thought that there was a plaque in the library commemerating her 100th cruise.

Charlie

When we re-discovered cruising (I did not fly for 20 yrs., but back at it now), we booked the Meridian from Boston to Bermuda (she only did 2 cruises a year from Boston). Enjoyed it so much we re-booked it, for the same week, same cabin, for the next 2 years. Also saw many of the same people each time...like old-home-week! If she were still sailing we probably would still be on her (were very sad when we heard she sunk of Malaysia...like losing a friend)! Made the change when we had no other choice. Since then...we have enjoyed many of the same ships, and many different ones too. Never had a bad cruise!!...and have made an endless list of friendships!

As long as we're cruisin'...........:D

I'll give a more generic answer.

Many people take the same land vacation every year. They like it and it feels comfortable. The only difference here is that the resort is a ship (with the possibility of different ports). If you like it, then go for it.

For the most part for many years I tried different ships each cruise. Selected by itinerary and value. I had repeated on the Norway 3 times in 15 years. I also cruised on almost the same ship twice if you count the Dreamward and the Dream as the same ship.

Then I found the Dawn and Freestyle 3 cruises in 12 months - I first cruised the Dawn from Miami on an eastern itinerary in Feb 03, then again in July from NY, and 10 days to the southern in Feb 04. 3 cruises same ship 3 different itineraries. I repeated the 10 day this past Feb and next Feb. another new itinerary with an 11 day western.

I would not have repeated in feb 05 had I booked the 8 day on the Voager out of NJ in the fall. The value did not play out. A regular balcony was more then and AD suite on the Dawn.

I still cruise other ships but having a ship, crew, and format that you enjoy only 45 minutes from home makes it very easy to cruise the same ship more then once.

Archived