Catagory A cabins without veranda

captainmcd

I really appreciate all of the thoughtful discussion of my question. Chairsin, I am not sure if the noise that you witnessed was due to some condition that is a design problem. I suspect that there was some problem with the HVAC machinery or perhaps in the elevators. Most of the input suggests that it is not a universal problem for A or A1 cabins on deck 4. Sometimes a bad bearing or other maintenance problem can not be fixed while at sea, there is always a limit on the spare parts that can be carried on board. I would enjoy a veranda on a higher deck, but unless given an upgrade I will probably stick with my cabin. Antarctica is on my bucket list, have never visited there in 50 years of sailing. My wife and I are both adverturesome, and my wife even wanted to run a marathon there. I will be content to walk around and enjoy the penguins and seals.

Unless you plan to go back, go for a veranda. We did the Horn and had a nice big veranda on Deck 9, and even though cold, we sat outside many a day bundled up and it was beautiful. You certainly don't need to book the Penthouse, but do not forego a veranda.

I don't remember what exact suite our friends were in but I can tell you that it was an A1 on the port side. This noise was very different from the creaking in the stairwells. To my ear it sounded like a loud thud and woosh -- almost as if a big wave were intermittently hitting the side of the ship EXCEPT the noise seemed to originate from the center of the ship and not the outside. And we did not encounter rough seas during this cruise. Again, I could care less about balconies as we like to be out with our fellow passengers so we usually pick an A1 suite on the little sisters( except when we are upgraded). Anyway I do hope for your sake you do not encounter a problem.

Archived