Catagory A cabins without veranda

captainmcd

We are booking next year's voyage to Antarctica on the Quest, and in order to save a bit of money have booked cabin 433. This will be our first voyage with Seabourn. I was wondering if anyone with more experience has been in one of these cabins, and if it is worth the extra money to get a veranda. I was thinking that being outside in that climate may not be a big advantage.

No,no, no..... don't do it.We were on the Quest last Christmas and had cocktails one evening with friends in their suite on deck 4 --- it was so loud we could not have a conversation. There was constant banging( maybe the stabilizers they were told). Since the ship was full they could not move. They had trouble sleeping even with earplugs. On the little ships I actually like to be on the lowest level and could care less about a balcony. However on that cruise I was very grateful that we had a suite a few levels up.Also there is a loud creaking noise in the stairwells on the lower levels -- especially when the ship was moving at a good clip. We laughed that it almost sounded as though the ship was haunted. It will be interesting to see if we hear that again when we are on the Quest this fall( again on a higher deck level). With all of the money you are spending for this trip why risk ruining it for a relatively small amount of money.

We were on the Sojourn in 2011 Route of the vikings.We had a deck 4 cabin as due to the weather you would not be able to use a balcony and found the ship was more stable being lower down. We found no noise at all and the deck is very handy for the restaurant and for going a shore.Stick with it:)

We were in 421 on the Quest in December. As we were heading to muster, someone walking by said "Oh, are you in 421? That is my favorite cabin!" I couldn't imagine why - it is like any other one, but with no balcony.

Turns out, location was fantastic. We did not have noise, although the hallways do creak (and it is a bit alarming the first few times), but it *was* a great cabin and I would certainly book deck 4 again.

The A1 cabins, the cabins towards the rear of the elevators, do not creak. Maybe the A cabins do so as they are way towards the front. In fact, I was in 421 on Quest with the elevators around the corner (see the deck plan) and there was no noise from creaking or the elevators. That said it was a smooth cruise.

These cabins are midships, low down for less swaying in bad weather and a good value.

If there was terrible noise from some other source, well, I did not hear it. And if I were to report noises that would interfere with my sleep etc I would expect Seabourn to make good.

Happy sailing!

Thanks everyone for your input. It may be that the noise reported by chairsin was due to the stabilizers, but they would have been several decks down and well under water. I have been on ships where some cabins had noise and vibration from the generators, but they would be well aft. Anyway, I will stick with the cabin and hope for the best. In the worst case scenario we could probably move to another cabin, because the ship will probably not be full on the Antarctic voyage. The problem is that only 100 people can be landed at one time.

No,no, no..... don't do it.We were on the Quest last Christmas and had cocktails one evening with friends in their suite on deck 4 --- it was so loud we could not have a conversation. There was constant banging( maybe the stabilizers they were told). Since the ship was full they could not move. They had trouble sleeping even with earplugs. On the little ships I actually like to be on the lowest level and could care less about a balcony. However on that cruise I was very grateful that we had a suite a few levels up.Also there is a loud creaking noise in the stairwells on the lower levels -- especially when the ship was moving at a good clip. We laughed that it almost sounded as though the ship was haunted. It will be interesting to see if we hear that again when we are on the Quest this fall( again on a higher deck level). With all of the money you are spending for this trip why risk ruining it for a relatively small amount of money.

We experienced similar constant thumping in a Category A on the Odyssey. Would not recommend this category or a "window guarantee" on the three larger ships. Category A nearly ruined our cruise due to sleep deprivation - ear plugs did not help. Additionally, several of the Category A suites are smaller than the standard size suite with a shorter sofa - check the print brochure or ask your travel agent to identify these suites. Fortunately, halfway through the cruise our request to change suites was accommodated.

430 is much further back than Category A, so it might not have the same issues, but I would be wary. In the future, I won't chance anything other than a Deck 5 or higher.

We have had port side A1 suites near the dining room a couple of times, and they were fine, and the small corridor with no-one opposite helps with peace and quiet. However, we once had a starboard side one (the odd numbers) and did hear creaking which seemed to come from near the lift and stair area. So I would recommend to change to the other side if this is possible - I recommend those between 422 and 430.

Booked a category A suite for our Route of Magellan cruise in October / November as we weren't too fussed about having a balcony for this particular cruise, but the price has dropped so we've been upgraded to a V4, so we won't get to find out the good or bad points of those forward suites on deck 4, even in the interests of research - we'll take the balcony every time!

but the price has dropped so we've been upgraded to a V4, so we won't get to find out the good or bad points of those forward suites on deck 4, even in the interests of research - we'll take the balcony every time!

Exactly what I would expect from a Yorkshire resident :D

Exactly what I would expect from a Yorkshire resident :D

I'm not a native, but am happy to be an adopted citizen. While it is true that Yorkshiremen can be 'careful' or 'canny' with their money, it is usually a search for good value rather than stinginess - for example the portions of food in restaurants up here tends to be a little larger, providing that eternal goal of the Yorkshireman - good value!

I'm not a native, but am happy to be an adopted citizen. While it is true that Yorkshiremen can be 'careful' or 'canny' with their money, it is usually a search for good value rather than stinginess - for example the portions of food in restaurants up here tends to be a little larger, providing that eternal goal of the Yorkshireman - good value!

Spot on,careful with money in Yorkshire

Tight with money in Scotland.:)

Thankfully we're awash with the stuff in London and spending like a sailor.;)

Drink, eat and be merry,for tomorrow we die :eek:

Spot on,careful with money in Yorkshire

Tight with money in Scotland.:)

Thankfully we're awash with the stuff in London and spending like a sailor.;)

Drink, eat and be merry,for tomorrow we die :eek:

Although there is that well known saying, presumably coined by a Scot, that a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with the generosity squeezed out :D

Yorkshire or nay, we're very much looking forward to spending our pennies on our much anticipated TA crossing on the Quest :)

I am the OP, with ancestors from Yorkshire and Scotland, but they bailed out and came to the U.S. back in the 1600's. I booked A class because on the Antarctica voyages the veranda costs $2000 extra per person for a 21 day trip, and that is a lot to pay for a balcony that might be too cold to enjoy. As a semi-retired ship captain I have spent enough time out in the weather in rough seas.

Well you have gotten a nice assortment of opinions here.That is the beauty of a forum like this. Bottom line to my way of thinking, forget the balcony, ask yourself, am I willing to go 21 days without a good night's sleep?

Well you have gotten a nice assortment of opinions here.That is the beauty of a forum like this. Bottom line to my way of thinking, forget the balcony, ask yourself, am I willing to go 21 days without a good night's sleep?

I really don't think you would have a problem with sleep in an A1 suite, particularly on the port side away from the possibility of creaking from lifts which I believe can happen. It is not to my mind, and I don't come from Yorkshire, worth spending more than what is already a large amount on a balcony in the Antarctic.

When we were in a force 11 gale I was really glad to be on deck 4 when sleep was a lot easier. I have never had anymore noise on deck 4 than any other deck.

I must say after living and working in London for many years where the conversation was always about money and how much they had ( or pretended to have ) it is a pleasure to live in the country where nobody cares.:D

I must say after living and working in London for many years where the conversation was always about money and how much they had ( or pretended to have ) it is a pleasure to live in the country where nobody cares.:D

It's all about the number of sheep you have in your part of the country isn't it?...

Archived