great local food on Roatan?

Virga

One of the things we enjoy most on vacation is eating good local food. We've had good luck finding expats or people who understand our broken spanish (my BF is portuguese) who point us towards a truly excellent local place. Sometimes this is a hole in the wall (we like this, it's usually cheap and FANTASTIC) or sometimes it's more like the place locals go for special events - either way we always have a GREAT meal.

This time we're going with my dad and we have to make special arrangements for him and his wheelchair, so I'm trying to figure out the plan in advance.

We like just about all food - we do usually end up ordering seafood, though. Sometimes pork, I swear we have had some of the best pork dishes in the islands. Any suggestions? Price isn't really an issue, we do this instead of an excursion. I mean, I'm not looking to spend $100 a head, but even an 'expensive' local restaurant is likely to be ok by us. Thanks!

What ship are you on? Means a lot about where you are on the island.

You will have to catch a taxi in either case. And many of the more local oriented places aren't wheelchair accessible. I'd suggest trying Temprary Cal's in First Bight. Taxi driver can get you there. Beautiful views. entrance is level so a wheelchair could get inside to the patio. Jerk pork chops, garlic bread...need I say more?

If you're headed to the West Bay beaches, there's Celeste's across from Bananarama resort. Great beleadas (Hondura's version on empanadas) with choices of local fillings. As I recall, I think you'll find it somewhat wheel chair accessible especially outside seating. If not, the Thirsty Turtle at Bananrama can be accessed by wheel chair and they do have more local food type offerings but most of the menu is touristized.

Up in West End, there's Chapi Catrachas, similar stuff...but it's tiny and not as accessible. somewhat more accessible in the West End would be Rotisserie Chicken, but I think they may only be open for dinner. Yum-o chicken and coconut rice.

If you're docked at Mahogany Bay, on the road between there and Coxen Hole is Miss Jenny's. Food can be mixed in quality but you'll find good seafood and mango margaritas. Try her soup. Dive of a place but definitely local.

Out on the east end at Camp Bay Beach is La Sirena. Its a dirt road to get here so be sure the taxi driver is willing to take you. Again, though whellchair accessibilty would be questionable as it's at the end of a dock on a more rocky beach.

I'm sure others on here who live on the island or have visited there recently can give an update or recommend other spots.

You will have to catch a taxi in either case. And many of the more local oriented places aren't wheelchair accessible. I'd suggest trying Temprary Cal's in First Bight. Taxi driver can get you there. Beautiful views. entrance is level so a wheelchair could get inside to the patio. Jerk pork chops, garlic bread...need I say more?

If you're headed to the West Bay beaches, there's Celeste's across from Bananarama resort. Great beleadas (Hondura's version on empanadas) with choices of local fillings. As I recall, I think you'll find it somewhat wheel chair accessible especially outside seating. If not, the Thirsty Turtle at Bananrama can be accessed by wheel chair and they do have more local food type offerings but most of the menu is touristized.

Up in West End, there's Chapi Catrachas, similar stuff...but it's tiny and not as accessible. somewhat more accessible in the West End would be Rotisserie Chicken, but I think they may only be open for dinner. Yum-o chicken and coconut rice.

If you're docked at Mahogany Bay, on the road between there and Coxen Hole is Miss Jenny's. Food can be mixed in quality but you'll find good seafood and mango margaritas. Try her soup. Dive of a place but definitely local.

Out on the east end at Camp Bay Beach is La Sirena. Its a dirt road to get here so be sure the taxi driver is willing to take you. Again, though whellchair accessibilty would be questionable as it's at the end of a dock on a more rocky beach.

I'm sure others on here who live on the island or have visited there recently can give an update or recommend other spots.

Thanks so much for this list. I was especially pleased to learn about Temporary Cal's. Reviews and photos look great! I was always sorry to have missed "The View" before it burned down and I understand this place has the same chef and great views. Do you know if this is on the road to Parrot Tree, or is it on the turn off to First Bight?

Thanks so much for this list. I was especially pleased to learn about Temporary Cal's. Reviews and photos look great! I was always sorry to have missed "The View" before it burned down and I understand this place has the same chef and great views. Do you know if this is on the road to Parrot Tree, or is it on the turn off to First Bight?

As I recall it's the turn off before Parrot Tree.

We're on the Celebrity Constellation, so I think we'll be docking at Coxen Hole. Fortunately, my dad is still somewhat mobile - he needs the chair for any real distance, but can get up to go through a narrow door or go up (a few) steps. Still, the 'more accessible' a place is, the better =)

I'm enjoying looking up those recommendations - thank you sooo much!

We ate at Cals while on a tour with Big Al (Victor Bodden tour) back in July while we were there for a week visit.

Weird gray stucco building up on a bluff but whoooeeee - the views for spectacular. He is a CIA chef and the food was really really good.

I will say the bathrooms are down a set of stairs so not accessible for him AT ALL.

There are tons of pics if you go to Tripadvisor. We really enjoyed our lunch here.

Archived