Air conditioning on Oriana

ramboy

We had 30 nights on Oriana recently and I religiously sprayed up my nose every night with Saline Nasal Spray and had no problems at all for the first time in 22 cruises!!!! seems to be the answer....apparently the air con dries up the nasal passages which allows germs to take hold, so if you irrigate every night it apparently does the trick and like I say certainly worked for me......got it off Amazon! :)

I did 23 nights to the Caribbbean on her in September and another 24 nights over Xmas and New Year and, unlike Oceana where I suffered these issues, on Oriana I was fine. I do always hang a wet flannel in the cabin every night though.

Just returned from 24 day Caribbean cruise on Oriana,and have suffered with my usual problems i.e sore throat,runny nose,dry cough,dry eyes.Am i the only sufferer?:confused:

WE have just returned from this appalling cruise; my wife is still in hospital suffering from build up of toxins and very severe dehydration. It took a litre of saline drip to get her conscious. P&O obsession with zero moisture in air conditioning to counteract droplet borne bugs, will cost lives.

It seems to me that P&O over react in certain ways.

We had a dreadful cruise on the Pre Christmas Noro Virus cruise.

Some precautions were OTT, others not enforced or carried through, and some of the more obvious, basic necessities were not addressed at all. A complete mis-mash which turn out to be ineffectual.

I am pleased to say that I have only once caught a cold-type virus in about 10 or 11 cruises with P&O - and that cold seemed to be doing the rounds. Like Sharon, I always hang up a wet facecloth at night to keep the cabin humidified.

Hi Dai We met on Aurora R119 and glad to see that you are enjoying the lovely Oriana. Ken & I board, as you get off, next Monday for the 35 nighter to the Caribbean. Can you please let me know if all services are now back to normal on Board following various outbreaks of Nova Virus. Daphne

The Oriana is getting old the air con needs huge updates each cabin should have its own unit i dont think this is the case it meens if you smoke in your cabin i smoke if you have a cold i get it. the mining companys in Australia have huge camps in very hot areas all have air con separate units and never get noro virus or simalar my advice is try to air your cabin every day with doors open my opinion Aussie

Hi Dai We met on Aurora R119 and glad to see that you are enjoying the lovely Oriana. Ken & I board, as you get off, next Monday for the 35 nighter to the Caribbean. Can you please let me know if all services are now back to normal on Board following various outbreaks of Nova Virus. Daphne

Yes no problem at all. However I suspect they may be very strict for the first few days

Have a great time

Going green

Dai

Severe dehydration caused by the Air con? I can understand the dry throat or catching a cold, but surely this was caused by something else.

Thee is only one thing that can cause severe dehydration - and that is not drinking enough water. -- whether it is on a cruiseship or hiking in Death Valley. I must admit that I do get "dried out" myself when in airconditioned environments, even in hotels.

Barry

• 1 month later...

Just done the 35 night cruise on Oriana & didn't suffer from any problems with the air conditioning like I did on Arcadia last August (a cough that lasted 6 weeks). I took the advice on this thread & used a wet flannel & also filled the ice bucket with water every night - not a problem. There didn't appear to be any outbreaks of NV and all the restaurants etc were open & running as normal.

• 1 year later...

We've just done a 24 night cruise to the Caribbean on the Oriana, and first hubby, then me, both developed a sore throat, really tight chest, dry cough and aching limbs. No runny nose at all, so seems a dry cold. Picked up in the last few days.

Fab cruise though!!

This is only our second cruise, and one thing I've noticed on both is the major dehydration. By the end of both cruises my skin was dry, and my eyelids skinning and wrinkled (wrinkled at my age)!!!! especially all along the eyelashes which were very sore. This is unheard of as I have oily skin. I hate the water on board as it makes my skin itch, no matter how much moisturiser or oil I use, and I never get any life into my hair. I use a minuscule amount of hair moisturiser (if I don't it's static - seems a do or die thing).

No it wouldn't stop me cruising ... I have to put up with it, however uncomfortable it is.

I've heard of the Arcadia cough, Oriana cough etc and yup ... seems we got it. One passenger I spoke to though said she'd been ill before coming onto the ship and continued to be so ...... so I'd like to thank that person for bringing her germs on board to pass around (whether that's my cough I don't know). But they do ask as embarkation if you've been ill before boarding.

Our air con wasn't working in our cabin initially, which we got fixed ..... maybe we should have suffered the heat in there and stayed cold and wrinkle free! :-)

Our experience doesn't relate to Oriana but we were on Oceana in February for 28 days and we both ended up feeling ill. Like tipsycat, we had problems with our air con although ours wasn't working from the start - and we were also in the Caribbean so it needed to be working properly. We called the engineers out FIVE times to try to get it sorted and in the end there was a bit of an improvement.

However for the last few days we both started feeling unwell and it lasted for 3 weeks when we got back. My OH had a really nasty chest infection which needed several visits to our GP and I had a virus which developed sinusitis also requiring antibiotics. There were problems especially with water and air con and we heard constant thumping and banging for several days in the space above our cabin which was towards the aft. The wireless connection was non-existent in our cabin too - but that's another story :D

Edited by tartanexile81