Full day in Athens or 1/2 day Athens + Sounion?

frogsinthecreek

hello, We are a group of 8 who will be in Athens for 9 - 10 hours late May. We are considering a private taxi tour. Several people have told us we would be better off staying in Athens for the full day rather than doing 1/2 Athens and 1/2 Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. Anyone have an opinion on this? We will definitely go to the Acropolis. Can't decide on the new Acropolis museum versus ancient Agora or if there is enough time to do both as well as Sounion. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there. Thanks!

We haven't been there yet, but we just went through the same decision process and booked the full day Athens and Cape Sounion with Rome in Limo. We are travelling with kids, and our itinerary is already pretty ruins-heavy. We wanted to do something a little different and see some of the countryside, but still see many of the major sites in Athens.

We are not going until June, so our experience won't help you, but that was our thought process.:)

We haven't been there yet, but we just went through the same decision process and booked the full day Athens and Cape Sounion with Rome in Limo. We are travelling with kids, and our itinerary is already pretty ruins-heavy. We wanted to do something a little different and see some of the countryside, but still see many of the major sites in Athens.

We are not going until June, so our experience won't help you, but that was our thought process.:)

Rome in Limo is in Athens now??? Please confirm????

hello, We are a group of 8 who will be in Athens for 9 - 10 hours late May. We are considering a private taxi tour. Several people have told us we would be better off staying in Athens for the full day rather than doing 1/2 Athens and 1/2 Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. Anyone have an opinion on this? We will definitely go to the Acropolis. Can't decide on the new Acropolis museum versus ancient Agora or if there is enough time to do both as well as Sounion. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there. Thanks!

The other choice is half day Corinth and Corinth Canal, and half day in Athens, which is what we did privately a couple of years ago. Excellent day, well spent.

We haven't been there yet, but we just went through the same decision process and booked the full day Athens and Cape Sounion with Athens By Taxi. We are travelling with kids, and our itinerary is already pretty ruins-heavy. We wanted to do something a little different and see some of the countryside, but still see many of the major sites in Athens.

I tried to edit my earlier post but couldn't figure out how, so I requoted it and changed it. Wrong country - we are using Athens By Taxi in Athens. :o

Sorry for any confusion!

I would recommend the full Athens day at the Acropolis as you can easily spend 4-6 hours looking around there then head back towards the port and try some of the local food.

Especially for a first time visitor, I would highly recommend spending the full day in Athens. There is so much to see and do there even if you do skip the museums. Wandering the Plaka and having a lunch there is a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

That being said, on our second visit to Athens last June, we did the half day Athens/Cape Sounion tour with Athens by Taxi. While I would recommend their company (we've used them twice now), I wouldn't recommend this tour. The drive to Cape Sounion is long and not very picturesque (i.e. Amalfi coast), and though the view from the Temple of Poseidon is nice, it's not worth the long trip IMHO. The site is very desolate and almost has an abandoned quality to it - even my ruins nut daughter said it wasn't worth the trip. There is much more to see in Athens, whether it's ruins or other sites, IMHO.

Especially for a first time visitor, I would highly recommend spending the full day in Athens. There is so much to see and do there even if you do skip the museums. Wandering the Plaka and having a lunch there is a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

That being said, on our second visit to Athens last June, we did the half day Athens/Cape Sounion tour with Athens by Taxi. While I would recommend their company (we've used them twice now), I wouldn't recommend this tour. The drive to Cape Sounion is long and not very picturesque (i.e. Amalfi coast), and though the view from the Temple of Poseidon is nice, it's not worth the long trip IMHO. The site is very desolate and almost has an abandoned quality to it - even my ruins nut daughter said it wasn't worth the trip. There is much more to see in Athens, whether it's ruins or other sites, IMHO.

I completely agree with this assessment. I'm also a ruins nut, and I think many, many people miss some of the best sites in Athens (like the nearly complete temple of Hephaistos in the Greek forum, or the huge Temple of Olympian Zeus, or the Tower of the Winds) by rushing off to Sounion for ruins that are not any more impressive.

Thanks for all the opinions! I think I need to research more of what there is to see in Athens. I was under the impression that it was a nice drive out to the Temple of Poseidon but I don't want to use up half my port time if there are more things to see in Athens that are equally nice to see.

What would you recommend seeing in Athens, other than the Acropolis?

Do you remember how long the drive is? I picked it less for the ruins and more for the coastline - my husband likes to take pictures. I'm concerned the kids will be worn out (and bored) with a full day of ruins.

I completely agree with this assessment. I'm also a ruins nut, and I think many, many people miss some of the best sites in Athens (like the nearly complete temple of Hephaistos in the Greek forum, or the huge Temple of Olympian Zeus, or the Tower of the Winds) by rushing off to Sounion for ruins that are not any more impressive.

What if you are not a ruins nut? I love Greek mythology and could easily spend a week checking out the temples to each god and goddess, but I am trying to break up the ruins touring with other things for the kids. The Athens By Taxi website says you can see seven islands on a clear day - my kids would think that is cool. My husband would like to take pictures of the coastline.

We are planning several days touring in Rome, half a day in Athens, a day touring Mt. Etna and surrounding areas, and a morning touring Ephesus (including the terrace houses). I'm concerned everyone but me will have antiquity burn-out.

On my first Med cruise I did the Cape Sounion and Athens excursion. I also agree that it's not worth the drive for a first trip to Athens. The Poseidon Temple itself is nice. It is situated on a very scenic location. But the trip to get there is not at all memorable, in my opinion. I recall being bored with the trip and wishing I hadn't picked the excursion when there was so much more I could have done in Athens. Google maps shows it as about 43 miles and one hour and 16 minutes in duration. I think in traffic, it took more time that that for our bus.

Do you remember how long the drive is? I picked it less for the ruins and more for the coastline - my husband likes to take pictures. I'm concerned the kids will be worn out (and bored) with a full day of ruins.

What if you are not a ruins nut? I love Greek mythology and could easily spend a week checking out the temples to each god and goddess, but I am trying to break up the ruins touring with other things for the kids. The Athens By Taxi website says you can see seven islands on a clear day - my kids would think that is cool. My husband would like to take pictures of the coastline.

We are planning several days touring in Rome, half a day in Athens, a day touring Mt. Etna and surrounding areas, and a morning touring Ephesus (including the terrace houses). I'm concerned everyone but me will have antiquity burn-out.

Well, mom to mom, if you want my honest opinion (having cruised and traveled in Europe with DS, now 20, since age 6....

What your kids will probably like most is to see the highlights of Athens (e.g., the Acropolis and maybe the Acropolis museum which is new and cool) and then maybe a Greek lunch in the Plaka and go back to the ship and relax for the afternoon. I don't think Cape Sounion is going to bowl them over and the drive isn't much to look at. You can trade in that good will down the line when there's yet another long day.

I often had to pace myself when DS was younger. Excited as I was to see the sites, it was better by far to see and enjoy the top couple of things than to drag out a long day just for me. Luckily I travel a lot so I usually figure I'll be back and can see more on a second or third visit -- and indeed now that he's in college I've done a lot of solo travel and can see ruins to my heart's content. :D

Well, mom to mom, if you want my honest opinion (having cruised and traveled in Europe with DS, now 20, since age 6....

What your kids will probably like most is to see the highlights of Athens (e.g., the Acropolis and maybe the Acropolis museum which is new and cool) and then maybe a Greek lunch in the Plaka and go back to the ship and relax for the afternoon. I don't think Cape Sounion is going to bowl them over and the drive isn't much to look at. You can trade in that good will down the line when there's yet another long day.

I often had to pace myself when DS was younger. Excited as I was to see the sites, it was better by far to see and enjoy the top couple of things than to drag out a long day just for me. Luckily I travel a lot so I usually figure I'll be back and can see more on a second or third visit -- and indeed now that he's in college I've done a lot of solo travel and can see ruins to my heart's content. :D

I think you are probably right, especially if the drive is over an hour each way. I thought it might be a nice way to spend the afternoon (air-conditioned, not a lot of walking and climbing). My younger daughter would definitely prefer the afternoon on the ship - that is why we are cruising instead of doing a land-based tour. My older daughter is interested in mythology and ancient history and is just excited to be going to Europe - she will be easier to please. She does like to shop, though!

Thank you for your advice!

I did Souniun years ago (not on a cruise). I would not try to do Athens and Sounion in the same day. You will spend too much time traveling,

There is a lot to see in Athens, particularly with the new Acropolis Museum and the Archaeological Museum.

What would you recommend seeing in Athens, other than the Acropolis?

If you're a ruins nut, I would definitely visit the Greek Agora and the Tower of the Winds. Both are adjacent to the Plaka and an easy walk if you're already there. If you're not as into ruins, the New Acropolis museum is very nice and well-organized and has a great video about the Acropolis. Our driver took us up to Lycabettous hill and we had a panoramic view of Athens - very pretty - and we also saw the changing of the guard in Syntagma square. I'm a big fan of the Plaka and could happily spend an afternoon there people watching and walking around. For a first visit, I think there's plenty to do in Athens to keep you busy and entertained.

The drive takes about an hour, maybe a little more. We stopped for lunch along the way, so that also took up time. If your husband likes to take pictures, while the drive is along the coastline, he won't have many opportunities. Our driver stopped once so we could take a photo and that was it. The drive is a lot of hairpin turns and not many places to stop, so keep this in mind.

I understand your concern about ruins burnout with kids, but I don't think your itinerary is very ruins-heavy. We did the Greek Isles last summer, which was ruins in every port, and that could make one burned out. Ephesus and the Roman ruins are very different from the Acropolis and Greek ruins. Personally, although the view was pretty, I didn't think the temple of Poseidon was much to write home about and would have rather stayed in Athens. I think if you research and work with AthensByTaxi, you can find some things your kids will enjoy in Athens. Good luck with your decision!

As usual, cruisemom, you said it best! Although I am not the ruins nut in the family, I was even impressed by the size of the Temple of Olympian Zeus and I also remember DD enjoying the Greek agora so much our guide had to go and drag her out of there. There's so much to see and do in Athens I can't imagine not spending a first visit there. I'd love to go back and do a long pre-cruise stay there so I can appreciate the city more.

If you're a ruins nut, I would definitely visit the Greek Agora and the Tower of the Winds. Both are adjacent to the Plaka and an easy walk if you're already there. If you're not as into ruins, the New Acropolis museum is very nice and well-organized and has a great video about the Acropolis. Our driver took us up to Lycabettous hill and we had a panoramic view of Athens - very pretty - and we also saw the changing of the guard in Syntagma square. I'm a big fan of the Plaka and could happily spend an afternoon there people watching and walking around. For a first visit, I think there's plenty to do in Athens to keep you busy and entertained.

Is it worth using a private taxi in order to see the other areas you mentioned? It sounds like you did so I'm wondering if you would do that again. Thanks!

Is it worth using a private taxi in order to see the other areas you mentioned? It sounds like you did so I'm wondering if you would do that again. Thanks!

You can get a taxi at the pier, book a private tour company in advance, or DIY if you're able-bodied and inclined. We used a private tour company because I feel you get to see the most that way, but many do DIY easily by taking a bus or metro into Athens and then exploring on foot. (If you do DIY, I'd recommend reading up previous accounts on how to on this board and/or buying Rick Steves' Med Cruise ports book for walking tours and info.)

I've used private tours twice in Athens (Athens by Taxi both times) and was very pleased so I would use them again, but just wanted to let you know there are other options available.

You can get a taxi at the pier, book a private tour company in advance, or DIY if you're able-bodied and inclined. We used a private tour company because I feel you get to see the most that way, but many do DIY easily by taking a bus or metro into Athens and then exploring on foot. (If you do DIY, I'd recommend reading up previous accounts on how to on this board and/or buying Rick Steves' Med Cruise ports book for walking tours and info.)

I've used private tours twice in Athens (Athens by Taxi both times) and was very pleased so I would use them again, but just wanted to let you know there are other options available.

We are probably going with the private taxi tour mainly for convenience. There are 8 of us with age range of 21 to 68 so I'm trying to accommodate all of us. I think we'll see more this way versus ships excursion. How much time do most people spend at the acropolis? These comments are so helpful!

We are probably going with the private taxi tour mainly for convenience. There are 8 of us with age range of 21 to 68 so I'm trying to accommodate all of us. I think we'll see more this way versus ships excursion. How much time do most people spend at the acropolis? These comments are so helpful!

Good call on taking a private tour. With a group of varying ages and that size, it will be much easier to get around and the cost per person far cheaper than doing a ship excursion. And yes, you're absolutely right, you'll see so much more than a ship tour. Incidentally, my most vivid memory of ship tours vs. private ones is from Athens: we pulled up at the Temple of Zeus and our driver let us go explore and take photos, telling us to take our time and enjoy. The cruiseline excursion bus pulled up shortly after and their guide told them to get off the bus, take one picture, and get back onboard immediately. :eek: I'll never forget that moment, and that's the reason we take private tours wherever we can.

As for the Acropolis, I think most people spend about an hour to an hour and a half there. It takes awhile to buy tickets and hike up there, so keep that in mind. Your driver will give you a rough idea of how much time you'll have at each place and when to meet back at the car. But, since it's your tour, you'll have the freedom to adjust according to your preferences. Good luck with your planning!

Good call on taking a private tour. With a group of varying ages and that size, it will be much easier to get around and the cost per person far cheaper than doing a ship excursion. And yes, you're absolutely right, you'll see so much more than a ship tour. Incidentally, my most vivid memory of ship tours vs. private ones is from Athens: we pulled up at the Temple of Zeus and our driver let us go explore and take photos, telling us to take our time and enjoy. The cruiseline excursion bus pulled up shortly after and their guide told them to get off the bus, take one picture, and get back onboard immediately. :eek: I'll never forget that moment, and that's the reason we take private tours wherever we can.

As for the Acropolis, I think most people spend about an hour to an hour and a half there. It takes awhile to buy tickets and hike up there, so keep that in mind. Your driver will give you a rough idea of how much time you'll have at each place and when to meet back at the car. But, since it's your tour, you'll have the freedom to adjust according to your preferences. Good luck with your planning!

Can you tell me who was your driver(s) when you used Athens By Taxi? Did you also use a tour guide? Is a tour guide necessary? We are a group of 8 adults, thinking about using Athens By Taxi for their full day Athens Tour.

Thanks in advance

Can you tell me who was your driver(s) when you used Athens By Taxi? Did you also use a tour guide? Is a tour guide necessary? We are a group of 8 adults, thinking about using Athens By Taxi for their full day Athens Tour.

Thanks in advance

Our first tour was with Kostas and last summer we toured with Nick, Paul's (the owner) son. I enjoyed the first tour much more, honestly. Nick was okay, just a little standoffish and overly serious. I also wasn't a fan of his driving - a tad on the fast side for me. I also research a company's drivers before booking with them and I remember many reviews spoke positively of another driver, Spiros. (I actually requested him and we were sent Nick, go figure. :rolleyes:) Hope that helps - good luck with your planning.

Our first tour was with Kostas and last summer we toured with Nick, Paul's (the owner) son. I enjoyed the first tour much more, honestly. Nick was okay, just a little standoffish and overly serious. I also wasn't a fan of his driving - a tad on the fast side for me. I also research a company's drivers before booking with them and I remember many reviews spoke positively of another driver, Spiros. (I actually requested him and we were sent Nick, go figure. :rolleyes:) Hope that helps - good luck with your planning.

Thanks for your information.

Did you use a tour guide while in Athens? They say the drivers can't go into the sites with us and they could get us a tour guide for the full day or half the day. Just wondering if we need or not.

Archived