Embarkation Day lunch - MDR or buffet, what do you do?

kikki21

DITTO!!!!

Not to mention all passengers have to be on board 1 hour prior to sailing, so if you happen to be running late, that would be very stressful! I would definitely recommend getting there earlier and relaxing. :)

It's 2 hours - so if the ship sails at 5:00, you must be onboard at 3:00.

This is hearsay (I read this from another thread on this board), but for cruises leaving from US the two hour gap between presenting the passenger manifest and sailing is told to be required by the CBP. So if for example some passengers from NCL arranged flight would be 30mins late, the ship would also sail 30mins late even though there was still plenty of before the scheduled sail away.

MDR for me. After traveling to the cruise port, standing in lines, walking around with my hand luggage & coats & stuff... I would like to sit down and have people bring me food.

If my cabin isn't ready by the time I board, I definitely do NOT want to try and juggle it while getting food at a buffet. It's much better to pile it up next to the table in the MDR and just relax.

Great advice! Is there a dress code for the first day? I've read where people are turned away for the MDR when in shorts.

Thanks

On Embarkation Day shorts are allowed in the MDR for both lunch and dinner, as luggage may not have arrived at the staterooms in time for dinner.

On all other days, shorts are fine for lunch in the MDR.

Hope that helps. ;)

It's kind of been traditional for me on the 4 cruises I have done so far to head to the buffet when I have embarked the ship for lunch but this time round I am going to head for the MDR.... think this will be a nicer experience for my fiance as this will be his first ever cruise and hopefully will set the tone! :)

MDR and have a nice steak. Relax after the hectic morning and let the waitstaff do their stuff!

On Embarkation Day shorts are allowed in the MDR for both lunch and dinner, as luggage may not have arrived at the staterooms in time for dinner.

Hope that helps. ;)

Shorts are also allowed at dinner every night in all but two dining venues. Generally shorts are prohibited in the larger aft MDR and Le Bistro.

Hope that helps. ;)

Thank you.

We've almost always opted for the MDR rather than the buffet. Most likely you will still be hauling your carry-ons, purses, passports, etc. The buffet is crowded and it is often difficult to find a table on Embarkation Day (not as bad on other days as everyone is not there at the same time). It is difficult to carry your food along with the carryons, and may require more than 1 trip to gather food and drink. You can't (or shouldn't) abandon your stuff, so you and group have to take turns getting your meal.

In the MDR, you sit down, and let someone else carry all the food. Most people have not located it and it tends to be empty, and the staff are directing most people to the buffet. Much more relaxing and after a day of travel, I enjoy the opportunity to sit for a while.

Ok one more try. I'm on the app on my phone, which makes this difficult. If this doesn't work I will stop I don't want to hyjack the thread due to my technological ineptness...

[ATTACH]259150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]259151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]259152[/ATTACH]

thanks for trying! lol I could make out some of it...sounds good enough for us!

Is there just 1 free main dining room on the jade? what is it called and on which deck?

There are two main dining rooms on each NCL ship - usually the one in the aft is the fancier that has a stricter dresscode (no shorts for dinner) and the another is more relaxed and usually a bit smaller one.

If you are going to lunch at the MDR, you have to embark early. Try getting to the ship by 1 pm, and allow about an hour for standing in line and getting registered.

AN HOUR! !!!!!!! what do we register for? is this before you get on or once on the ship? previous cruises with other lines it has only taken 5-10 minutes before you get on

AN HOUR! !!!!!!! what do we register for? is this before you get on or once on the ship? previous cruises with other lines it has only taken 5-10 minutes before you get on

Taking from the cruise from NYC, it took us 40 or more minutes to register and get on board. When we got to platinum class, it took us less time-20 minutes. Usually from 1 to 2 pm, there are the most crowds of passengers standing on line to get onto the ship. That has been my experience from 7 NCL cruises from NYC.

Archived