Embarkation Day lunch - MDR or buffet, what do you do?

kikki21

It's kind of been traditional for me on the 4 cruises I have done so far to head to the buffet when I have embarked the ship for lunch but this time round I am going to head for the MDR.... think this will be a nicer experience for my fiance as this will be his first ever cruise and hopefully will set the tone! :)

Yes go to the main dining room! :) we go to Cagney's now that we go in a suite but a great embarkation lunch can also be had in the dining room! The Buffet as I am sure you have experienced, is always packed with people, many who don't know their way around the ship and are stressed over the days travel.

Our first cruise ever was on the Dawn. We had no idea what we were doing and crowded in with the masses to the buffet. There was no where to sit so my husband and I, unknowingly, ended up sitting in the kids section on the little padded cube chairs for kids. We figured it out after sitting down surrounded by little kids, whoops! We still laugh about this when we see the kids corner!

Dining room has always been pretty empty and such a nice way to sit, relax and enjoy your meal. By the time you are done your room will be ready :)

We definitely head to the MDR. I don't think a lot of people know that it's open for lunch because it's always so nice and quiet. Very relaxing. When we went on CCL once, their MDR isn't open and we had to do the buffet. It was a madhouse. Definitely missed being able to do a sitdown on NCL! :)

First, we like to be one of the first pax onboard. Like to get my money's worth and start off the cruise as soon as possible.

Before I found CC we would go to the buffet. And I HATE buffets. I remember my X Summit cruise that the buffet was about 90% picked over. Yuk! We were hungry too.

Then I learned the "secret" here on CC and went to the MDR. It was such an improvement from the hustle and bustle of the masses in the buffet.

Then, I discovered the NCL suite life and we start off in Cagney's (Il Adagio on the Sun).

I will make sure in March to arrive super early on cruise day as we are flying in a day early!!!

How late are the Mdr, Blue Lagoon and buffet open on embarkation day? Last time I boarded by 1:30 but this time my pcc told me I should be on board at about 3:00. Ship leaves at 5:00.

Your PCC is out of his/her mind!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Arrive at the port no later than 11:00AM, check in and go directly to the MDR. There is absolutely, positively no reason why you should cut your vacation short by arriving at 3:00 and then having to rush like a crazy person to attend the Muster Drill. No Way!

Arrive early, dine early, start relaxing early. ;)

FWIW - the MDR, Buffet and Blue Lagoon will close PROMPTLY at 3:00 so that all staff can perform their respective roles in the Muster Drill. The Buffet and Blue Lagoon will reopen when the muster drill is complete, as will the Poolside buffet.

We always eat in the MDR after boarding the ship - I think that's the only time we eat there - the rest of the days are the buffet or specialty dining. Enjoy - there is hardly anyone there and once in New Orleans we got to watch them load the provisions for the week onto the boat from our table - that was actually kind of cool - seeing the pallets of food, etc.

How late are the Mdr, Blue Lagoon and buffet open on embarkation day? Last time I boarded by 1:30 but this time my pcc told me I should be on board at about 3:00. Ship leaves at 5:00.

Your PCC is out of his/her mind!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Arrive at the port no later than 11:00AM, check in and go directly to the MDR. There is absolutely, positively no reason why you should cut your vacation short by arriving at 3:00 and then having to rush like a crazy person to attend the Muster Drill. No Way!

Arrive early, dine early, start relaxing early. ;)

FWIW - the MDR, Buffet and Blue Lagoon will close PROMPTLY at 3:00 so that all staff can perform their respective roles in the Muster Drill. The Buffet and Blue Lagoon will reopen when the muster drill is complete, as will the Poolside buffet.

DITTO!!!!

Not to mention all passengers have to be on board 1 hour prior to sailing, so if you happen to be running late, that would be very stressful! I would definitely recommend getting there earlier and relaxing. :)

Archived